Want more information about this university?

University of Kent first year review HONEST

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
First of all I should say that I started at Kent in September 2019 and I am transferring out of the Uni after first year. I did languages.

Campus. 3/5
Its decent. The Canterbury campus(I cannot speak for Medway) was overall quite nice I thought. It is spacious with lovely views over the city of Canterbury and the Templeman library is lovely and incredibly useful. There are parts of the campus which are slightly faded and weary most notably Rutherford and Eliot. The bars on campus are brilliant and I can highly recommend K Bar and Woodys. The food places are for the most part good on campus. Dolche vita is...average not amazing. Hut 8 is really good but as its fast food very unhealthy. Honestly you would hear it get a bad name but the Rutherford dining hall I actually thought provided the best food and the Wok Bar there is unbelievably good. I had the catering package which I would say is worth it. The sports centre is not brilliant and slightly small with only two astro turf football pitches and some hockey pitches but it does the job fine for casual sports. The gym despite being a little small is very good but the sports membership fee is quite frankly a joke of how expensive it is. The Uni is typically like one of those built in the 60s Ive heard, quite drab in some areas and there are bits of it that remind you of office blocks and concreate towers. Sometimes it felt just like going into an office every day and not actually going to Uni. There are two co ops on campus and both insanely overpriced. They are ok to grab a few bits but generally you will be priced out if you do a full shop there. Unless you are park wood everything is generally in walking distance which is really nice. The biggest downside is the location of the campus itself. It is out the way. Cantebury city centre(more on that) is a good 30min to 40 min walk so one of the main problems I had was a sense of cabin fever at the Uni, its almost like a Uni has just been dumped on a hill. Of course there is a frequent bus service but they always seemed incredibly overcrowded and could be a little tedious to use. But yes the campus is decent, Ive seen better but for the most part good.
Uni experience 2/5
I did actually have more fun at the Uni than the score would suggest but I feel like that was just more me and the people I was with than the actual Uni itself. First of all if going out clubbing, sports, societies arnt your thing then yes of course this wont matter but these things were big for me. Societies wise the Uni seemed to have a wide range, the freshers fair was relatively well put together and yes seemed like a bog standard freshers fair. Sports again seemed to be a decent amount so plenty to get involved in. My honest advice to you and maybe im being a bit harsh and its probably my fault for being a bit naive going into Kent but it would be if clubbing and going out is a big thing for you then I would think twice about Kent. There isnt a lot here. The venue which is the SU is fine for a few nights but honestly any more and it gets a bit grating. I had some good nights there but because the campus is a while away from the city people will just end up going Venue every week. In Canterbury there is the Cuban which was my favourite and that is a good place. Tokyo tearooms which is poor, Loft which is poor and Chemistry which I never went to but didnt hear great things. There is a good amount of pubs but they usually had a lot of locals and students never really seemed to go to them. Canterbury as a city is not very nice. Its a bit dirty and surprisingly a bit rough. A lot of weirdos and drug addicts in the city centre which I guess you get anywhere but yes I didnt like the city and the idea of living there fully didnt really appeal to me. Also a lot of drug dealers on campus and you will smell weed a lot when walking through at anytime during the day. Job market seems to be non existent there which is only gonna be worse after Covid. Probably one of the reasons everyone seemed to go to London every weekend.

Teaching 3/5
Not amazing but overall ok. Definitely not your money's worth but no university seems to be these days. Lectures seemed to be quite good and I really liked the language seminars. I must admit the other seminars seemed to be really poor. No conversation, awkward silences maybe thats like that at some other places but seemed especially bad. It just felt so drab at times and so forced. Barely anyone turned up for lectures by the end which might be why the uni is slumping through the rankings. But yes overall I would say ok/good. Two of my language teachers were especially good and really helpful.

Accomodation 5/5 *
The reason why I put the asterisk is because it really REALLY depends where you go. I was in Turing houses which were excellent. Turing as a whole is by far the best and I must admit I was very impressed with the flats as a whole. However Parkwood Keynes Eliot and Rutherford seemed really bad. Really crowded shoddy dimly lit. I really did not envy my friends living there. My advice would be you get what you pay for and try and get Turing.
Overall 2.5/5
I met some great people at Kent and will really miss them. I also made some good memories which I will remember fondly. But the University has fallen short of my expectations. I am transferring out of Kent to a different Uni which I think will cater more to what im looking for. The stories recently about Kent being in a lot of debt also played a part in this decision. I hope this review was helpful.
randomgirl7000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
First of all I should say that I started at Kent in September 2019 and I am transferring out of the Uni after first year. I did languages.

Campus. 3/5
Its decent. The Canterbury campus(I cannot speak for Medway) was overall quite nice I thought. It is spacious with lovely views over the city of Canterbury and the Templeman library is lovely and incredibly useful. There are parts of the campus which are slightly faded and weary most notably Rutherford and Eliot. The bars on campus are brilliant and I can highly recommend K Bar and Woodys. The food places are for the most part good on campus. Dolche vita is...average not amazing. Hut 8 is really good but as its fast food very unhealthy. Honestly you would hear it get a bad name but the Rutherford dining hall I actually thought provided the best food and the Wok Bar there is unbelievably good. I had the catering package which I would say is worth it. The sports centre is not brilliant and slightly small with only two astro turf football pitches and some hockey pitches but it does the job fine for casual sports. The gym despite being a little small is very good but the sports membership fee is quite frankly a joke of how expensive it is. The Uni is typically like one of those built in the 60s Ive heard, quite drab in some areas and there are bits of it that remind you of office blocks and concreate towers. Sometimes it felt just like going into an office every day and not actually going to Uni. There are two co ops on campus and both insanely overpriced. They are ok to grab a few bits but generally you will be priced out if you do a full shop there. Unless you are park wood everything is generally in walking distance which is really nice. The biggest downside is the location of the campus itself. It is out the way. Cantebury city centre(more on that) is a good 30min to 40 min walk so one of the main problems I had was a sense of cabin fever at the Uni, its almost like a Uni has just been dumped on a hill. Of course there is a frequent bus service but they always seemed incredibly overcrowded and could be a little tedious to use. But yes the campus is decent, Ive seen better but for the most part good.
Uni experience 2/5
I did actually have more fun at the Uni than the score would suggest but I feel like that was just more me and the people I was with than the actual Uni itself. First of all if going out clubbing, sports, societies arnt your thing then yes of course this wont matter but these things were big for me. Societies wise the Uni seemed to have a wide range, the freshers fair was relatively well put together and yes seemed like a bog standard freshers fair. Sports again seemed to be a decent amount so plenty to get involved in. My honest advice to you and maybe im being a bit harsh and its probably my fault for being a bit naive going into Kent but it would be if clubbing and going out is a big thing for you then I would think twice about Kent. There isnt a lot here. The venue which is the SU is fine for a few nights but honestly any more and it gets a bit grating. I had some good nights there but because the campus is a while away from the city people will just end up going Venue every week. In Canterbury there is the Cuban which was my favourite and that is a good place. Tokyo tearooms which is poor, Loft which is poor and Chemistry which I never went to but didnt hear great things. There is a good amount of pubs but they usually had a lot of locals and students never really seemed to go to them. Canterbury as a city is not very nice. Its a bit dirty and surprisingly a bit rough. A lot of weirdos and drug addicts in the city centre which I guess you get anywhere but yes I didnt like the city and the idea of living there fully didnt really appeal to me. Also a lot of drug dealers on campus and you will smell weed a lot when walking through at anytime during the day. Job market seems to be non existent there which is only gonna be worse after Covid. Probably one of the reasons everyone seemed to go to London every weekend.

Teaching 3/5
Not amazing but overall ok. Definitely not your money's worth but no university seems to be these days. Lectures seemed to be quite good and I really liked the language seminars. I must admit the other seminars seemed to be really poor. No conversation, awkward silences maybe thats like that at some other places but seemed especially bad. It just felt so drab at times and so forced. Barely anyone turned up for lectures by the end which might be why the uni is slumping through the rankings. But yes overall I would say ok/good. Two of my language teachers were especially good and really helpful.

Accomodation 5/5 *
The reason why I put the asterisk is because it really REALLY depends where you go. I was in Turing houses which were excellent. Turing as a whole is by far the best and I must admit I was very impressed with the flats as a whole. However Parkwood Keynes Eliot and Rutherford seemed really bad. Really crowded shoddy dimly lit. I really did not envy my friends living there. My advice would be you get what you pay for and try and get Turing.
Overall 2.5/5
I met some great people at Kent and will really miss them. I also made some good memories which I will remember fondly. But the University has fallen short of my expectations. I am transferring out of Kent to a different Uni which I think will cater more to what im looking for. The stories recently about Kent being in a lot of debt also played a part in this decision. I hope this review was helpful.
thx for sharing this. I got an offer to study international relations but I am torn between Essex and Kent...
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by randomgirl7000)
thx for sharing this. I got an offer to study international relations but I am torn between Essex and Kent...
Kent - I don’t go there but it’s no way near Essex
randomgirl7000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Kent - I don’t go there but it’s no way near Essex
I know but i can’t decide between the two Unis. And I am also suspicious that Kent accepted me with lower grades ...
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago

Campus. 3/5
Uni experience 2/5

Teaching 3/5

Accomodation 5/5 *
Overall 2.5/5
Hey thank you for the honest review. very useful for next month when I'll be there. I was wondering if you knew anyone at Darwin?? I know its an old and sad looking block ahaha but I was wondering what people who had stayed there thought about it and their experiences. A lot of people are liking Turing but lets be frank thats just out of budget for me. This would help me out a lot
thank you

Oh and if anyone could answer this too that would be helpful also. I've heard mixed reviews about Darwin but if it does its job as a student accom I'll be content.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.73%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.62%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.84%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.38%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.77%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (129)
19.66%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.79%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.2%

Watched Threads