The Student Room Group

Factorisation issue? GCSE Maths help :o

Hi there everyone! I’m stuck on this question. I know it’s pretty easy and I have no problem but it’s just not factorising even though I can see how it should. If you could give me a quick pointer that’d be wonderful 😊
Photos coming up!
Reply 1
image.jpgimage.jpg Yes my handwriting is absolutely awful please don’t judge it :redface:
When you split up the 17y into 14y and 3y, try switching the order that you put the 14y and 3y in (so use 2y^2 + 14y + 3y + 21).

This will factorise neatly.

Edit: I think you may have also gotten mixed up and started writing the coefficient of y^2 as 7, when it should be 2.
Reply 3
Original post by bluebeetle
When you split up the 17y into 14y and 3y, try switching the order that you put the 14y and 3y in (so use 2y^2 + 14y + 3y + 21).

Argh. ARGH!!! Ok I’m seeing where I’ve gone wrong. That’s a two at the front, not a seven!! Why do I do this to myself :nothing:
Thank you so much for the help! I seriously need to update my glasses prescription :colondollar:
Original post by Moonbow
Argh. ARGH!!! Ok I’m seeing where I’ve gone wrong. That’s a two at the front, not a seven!! Why do I do this to myself :nothing:
Thank you so much for the help! I seriously need to update my glasses prescription :colondollar:

Happens to the best of us!!
Reply 5

Edit: I think you may have also gotten mixed up and started writing the coefficient of y^2 as 7, when it should be 2.

Did you get this as your answer? Sorry to keep bothering you :redface: image.jpg
Reply 6
Happens to the best of us!!

PRSOM! :biggrin:
Original post by Moonbow
Did you get this as your answer? Sorry to keep bothering you :redface: image.jpg

Yep, that's right :smile:
Reply 8
Yep, that's right :smile:

Thank you!!!

Quick Reply

Latest