Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
17 and still can't find a job. Spent time on making a CV yet my sister didnt make one and got a job on her second go.

I want to start saving up for university and overall have my own money but damn I've been rejected from almost all the stores in my area it's quite depressing. I took a break then tried again but nope. I'm sick of people comparing me to my sister and making fun of me (even kids younger than me!) for having no job, or saying I don't try enough especially when they dont know how hard I've tried to get one.

Told myself to just focus on my education but damn I really need a job.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How did your sister get a job and would you want to do the same thing?

Are you applying for the right kind of jobs to match your experience and CV, and have you asked for feedback when you've been unsuccessful?
Hiro2468
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Surnia)
How did your sister get a job and would you want to do the same thing?

Are you applying for the right kind of jobs to match your experience and CV, and have you asked for feedback when you've been unsuccessful?
For some reason I'm not anonymous anymore so?

She just applied for a job, got interviewed then got the job. The same place I applied for didnt respond back, then a week later posted another job opening which I again applied for but no response.

I tried to apply for places students my age normally work at.
fattyguen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
did you ask your sister how they accepted her? did you ask what they needed to be accepted?
Hermione23
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Look on Indeed if you haven't already, make sure you come across as fully flexible else most places wont bother with you. Unfortunately a lot of people are in the same position at the moment because of the economy and its even more hard to get a job because no where is hiring. Have you tried contacting any relatives or friends if they won a small business etc to see if they can give you a job?
If you have no experience then try volunteering at a charity shop to gain some retail and customer service experience which could help your cv.
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fattyguen)
did you ask your sister how they accepted her? did you ask what they needed to be accepted?
She doesn't even know herself, she just applied got interviewed and got a job. She didnt even make a CV.
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hermione23)
Look on Indeed if you haven't already, make sure you come across as fully flexible else most places wont bother with you. Unfortunately a lot of people are in the same position at the moment because of the economy and its even more hard to get a job because no where is hiring. Have you tried contacting any relatives or friends if they won a small business etc to see if they can give you a job?
If you have no experience then try volunteering at a charity shop to gain some retail and customer service experience which could help your cv.
I might just try volunteering. Yeah it's very unfortunate with what's happening atm making it harder to look for jobs.
Kogomogo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A lot of places aren't hiring as much as usual right now, and store jobs normally peak for the christmas season. Jobs are generally pretty competitive across most of the uk sadly, even min wage ones can have hundreds or thousands of applicants per place in some areas, it's just luck at that point. A lot of people get their jobs through connections / knowing someone.

With retail / restaurants i used to have more success printing off cvs and wandering around town dropping them off as many places as possible, rather than applying online.
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kogomogo)
A lot of places aren't hiring as much as usual right now, and store jobs normally peak for the christmas season. Jobs are generally pretty competitive across most of the uk sadly, even min wage ones can have hundreds or thousands of applicants per place in some areas, it's just luck at that point. A lot of people get their jobs through connections / knowing someone.

With retail / restaurants i used to have more success printing off cvs and wandering around town dropping them off as many places as possible, rather than applying online.
Oh that's true, I've applied in person too but never got a response back sadly. Hopefully closer to Christmas time I get a chance!
Anonymous17!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m in the same position. But I’m 18, nearly 19 and so I feel it’s even sadder I haven’t got a job yet! I have 9 months of retail experience in a charity shop, am fully flexible, have my own transport and have applied for places that students usually apply to. I’ve gotten a few interview but never got the job. I ask for feedback and they never respond. It really is just down to luck I think, hopefully we can both get something because I’m in desperate need of a job too
Last edited by Anonymous17!; 1 month ago
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Two possibilities spring to mind.

One is McDonalds. They may have something coming up soon.

https://people.mcdonalds.co.uk/job-search

The other possibility might be working for the Royal Mail at Christmas. They will always take on extra people.

https://jobs.royalmailgroup.com/

One thing which is important is not to neglect your education. It's really important to do the best you can in your A Levels.

Which subject do you want to read at University? Knowing this might lead to ideas for part-time jobs which are particularly suitable.
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous17!)
I’m in the same position. But I’m 18, nearly 19 and so I feel it’s even sadder I haven’t got a job yet! I have 9 months of retail experience in a charity shop, am fully flexible, have my own transport and have applied for places that students usually apply to. I’ve gotten a few interview but never got the job. I ask for feedback and they never respond. It really is just down to luck I think, hopefully we can both get something because I’m in desperate need of a job too
Hopefully we both get a job soon! You seem really qualified, it's a shame it's down to luck (>_< )
Anonymous17!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hiro2468)
Hopefully we both get a job soon! You seem really qualified, it's a shame it's down to luck (>_< )
Most places ask for a year so I’m almost qualified :lol: but yeah it’s just luck. I seem to get quite a few interviews but never land the job (as said) and never get any feedback even though I al for it so don’t really know what I’m doing wrong! Have tried all the tips and tricks that people have said in interviews and always do research and prepare answers but alas, I’ve never got a job. Thank you though!
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kerzen)
Two possibilities spring to mind.

One is McDonalds. They may have something coming up soon.

https://people.mcdonalds.co.uk/job-search

The other possibility might be working for the Royal Mail at Christmas. They will always take on extra people.

https://jobs.royalmailgroup.com/

One thing which is important is not to neglect your education. It's really important to do the best you can in your A Levels.

Which subject do you want to read at University? Knowing this might lead to ideas for part-time jobs which are particularly suitable.
Thank you! That's one thing I'm a little worried about, I don't want it to affect my grades but if I'm organised enough I can make it work. I'm thinking of applying for A&F, if that helps.
Maisieashley
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Once you turn 18 look on nhs jobs you can add a post code and it’ll come up with lots of different jobs hospitals are quite often looking for cleaners, porters or healthcare assistance and this looks really good on a CV
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Maisieashley)
Once you turn 18 look on nhs jobs you can add a post code and it’ll come up with lots of different jobs hospitals are quite often looking for cleaners, porters or healthcare assistance and this looks really good on a CV
Thanks for the info! I never knew you could do that!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (51)
13.46%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (51)
13.46%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (142)
37.47%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (41)
10.82%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (73)
19.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
5.54%

Watched Threads