Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So on word, gradually some stuff has changed when I open up a new document. For one, it starts with a load of writing already there (although it's not opened a file, it is a new document), which is annoying to have to select and delete every time. It also starts with HUGE margins, which is also annoying to change every time I use it. Does anyone know how to change/reset these? Thanks!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Depending on what version of Word you have... you could try this

Office Word '03
    File >Page Setup> Margins tab.

ReputationRep:
    As spikeymike said you can just go to file and page setup to change the margins - I always find myself doing this at school because the blank margins look really ugly indeed.Make sure you set it as default though - click "yes" when it asks you whether you want to save to the default template.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    The problem here could well be that someone has accidentally saved (once or more than once) their document as the "normal template" instead of as a file, especially if you say there's already writing when you open the file. The normal template is basically the thing that loads every time you create a new document, you use it so you can have a consistent layout between documents. Hope this helps a bit. On the down side however, I have no idea how to reset the normal template, perhaps someone else can guide you on this.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the normal template has been modified.

Close all Office apps.

Type this in the address bar of windows explorer: %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates then delete the file Normal.dot

Word will then recreate the default normal template when you next open it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theArchitect)
    Yeah the normal template has been modified.

Close all Office apps.

Type this in the address bar of windows explorer: %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates then delete the file Normal.dot

Word will then recreate the default normal template when you next open it.
    Make sure if it's someones work that you back up the file, and rename it elsewhere. Otherwise, that work is going bye byes!

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calumcalum)
    thanks a lot!
    No problem

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.