What to bring - Self catered Watch

NoshiSushi
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey ya'll.
So, Ive gotta start shopping. What would I need to bring?
And go into detail. Thankies!
Sick Puppy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
beans, lots and lots of beans
NoshiSushi
(Original post by Sick Puppy)
beans, lots and lots of beans
Ew! I HATE beans.
They make me fart.
And I didnt mean food wise, I meant stuff to cook with.
pcok
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I can't remember everything, but I've got:

I'll add more if and when I think of it.

Is it just kitchen stuff you need? Have you got stuff for your bedroom?
nempozpag
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
George Foreman Grill... Wait, no, everyone will have one.
caryatid
Report 10 years ago
Hmn. Well, I think it depends on how much cooking you do/can see yourself doing. For me, I'm going to bring:

- a couple of saucepans (big one and small one), a small wok, a frying pan that I've already been given, colander
- various utensils (including hand whisk, spatula, grater, wooden spoon, knives?)
- cutting board
- can opener
- cork screw
- baking sheet/tray
- electric scales / measuring cup (well, if you actually plan to cook to a lot of recipes it'd be useful, anyway)
- hand blender (but only because I've already been given it)
- electric whisk (ditto above)
- plates, bowls, glasses, cutlery (I dare say you could just get one of each but there's always the possibility of things going missing or breaking)
- oils and spices etc. for cooking, because they're expensive to buy all at once when you first arrive

I've probably forgotten something but that's the gist of what I'm bringing. Of course, you could always get by like my cousin and just take a small saucepan and a can opener and live on spaghetti hoops and takeaway. :rolleyes:
NoshiSushi
I'm at liberty so I wont be sharing a kitchen. Everything is my own.
NoshiSushi
(Original post by pcok)

• Plates, bowls, cups, glasses, wine glasses
  • Cutlery
  • Measuring jug
  • Plastic mixing bowl
  • Glass dish - http://www.matalan.co.uk/pages/produ...glass-bakeware (I have the one in the bottom right hand corner)
  • Baking tray(s)
  • Block of knives
  • Chopping board
  • Utensils - (There are much cheaper ones than these, I just chose Debenhams to show you as they have everything) - Ladle, spaghetti server, whisk , one of these, wooden spoon
  • Salt and pepper pots
  • Sieve if you're going to be using flour
  • Colander
  • Cheese grater
  • Potato peeler
  • Sandwich tin
  • Coffee, tea and sugar pots
  • Bottle opener
  • Saucepans & frying pan (I'd recommend you get a good non-stick frying pan, like Tefal).
  • Kettle
  • Toaster
  • Sandwich Toaster
  • Tea towels
  • Tin opener
  • Some storage boxes: http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/...10001_62287_-1 (Incase you want to make food and freeze it, for example).

Oh youre a doll!
I hope accommodation works out for you, dear. <3
THANK YOU!
NoshiSushi
(Original post by pcok)

• Cutlery
  • Measuring jug
  • Plastic mixing bowl
  • Glass dish - http://www.matalan.co.uk/pages/produ...glass-bakeware (I have the one in the bottom right hand corner)
  • Baking tray(s)
  • Block of knives
  • Chopping board
  • Utensils - (There are much cheaper ones than these, I just chose Debenhams to show you as they have everything) - Ladle, spaghetti server, whisk , one of these, wooden spoon
  • Salt and pepper pots
  • Colander
  • Cheese grater
  • Potato peeler
  • Sandwich tin
  • Bottle opener
  • Saucepans & frying pan (I'd recommend you get a good non-stick frying pan, like Tefal).
  • Kettle
  • Toaster
  • Sandwich Toaster
  • Tea towels
  • Tin opener
  • Some storage boxes: http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/...10001_62287_-1 (Incase you want to make food and freeze it, for example).

Does debanhams have everything? For a reasonable price? Ill have to hunt for one closest to me when I get to London.
THANK YOU.
NoshiSushi
(Original post by caryatid)
Hmn. Well, I think it depends on how much cooking you do/can see yourself doing. For me, I'm going to bring:

- a couple of saucepans (big one and small one), a small wok, a frying pan that I've already been given, colander
- various utensils (including hand whisk, spatula, grater, wooden spoon, knives?)
- cutting board
- can opener
- cork screw
- baking sheet/tray
- electric scales / measuring cup (well, if you actually plan to cook to a lot of recipes it'd be useful, anyway)
- hand blender (but only because I've already been given it)
- electric whisk (ditto above)
- plates, bowls, glasses, cutlery (I dare say you could just get one of each but there's always the possibility of things going missing or breaking)
- oils and spices etc. for cooking, because they're expensive to buy all at once when you first arrive

I've probably forgotten something but that's the gist of what I'm bringing. Of course, you could always get by like my cousin and just take a small saucepan and a can opener and live on spaghetti hoops and takeaway. :rolleyes:
Im getting majority of my stuff from here in Hong Kong because it costs absolutely nothing compared to how expensive everything is over there. So Ill go insane. Thank god for my father's flyer miles. Hes allowed to carry on 50kgs worth of baggage and I get to carry something like 25.
Cake Power
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pcok)

• Cutlery
  • Measuring jug
  • Plastic mixing bowl
  • Baking tray(s)
  • Block of knives
  • Chopping board
  • Salt and pepper pots
  • Colander
  • Cheese grater
  • Potato peeler
  • Sandwich tin
  • Bottle opener
  • Kettle
  • Toaster
  • Sandwich Toaster
  • Tea towels
  • Tin opener

With my currently unlimited funds, I will not only buy all of the above, I will also arrive at Heathrow in my private jet.

Seriously, though, I'd go broke if I bought all that :no:
NoshiSushi
(Original post by Cake Power)
With my currently unlimited funds, I will not only buy all of the above, I will also arrive at Heathrow in my private jet.

You wouldnt need all of it. Just some basic stuff.
I dont really need all that sandwich stuff. Nor will I need teh electrical stuff. Just cheap cheap crap.
Cake Power
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NoshiSushi)
Im getting majority of my stuff from here in Hong Kong because it costs absolutely nothing compared to how expensive everything is over there. So Ill go insane. Thank god for my father's flyer miles. Hes allowed to carry on 50kgs worth of baggage and I get to carry something like 25.
Damn. I'm flying alone, and I only get 30kg (which is very generous of them, cause normally I'd get 20...)! I'm seriously wondering how I'm going to cram my room into one suitcase...
NoshiSushi
Damn. I'm flying alone, and I only get 30kg (which is very generous of them, cause normally I'd get 20...)! I'm seriously wondering how I'm going to cram my room into one suitcase...
30kgs is nothing.
Youd have to buy all of your stuff in London, huh?
My friend is flying on BA and gets to take on 50kgs, Im not sure how. But he mentioned something about a student ticket. =/ Im nots ure if he was bullsh'itting me.
NoshiSushi
(Original post by thejonsmith)
if i get self catered a frying pan, bottle opener, microwave, tray, a fork, mug will be fine
What the f'*** are you going to make!?
NoshiSushi
(Original post by thejonsmith)
no idea probably not much, which is why i dont want self catered, or il just be on beer, ready meals, pasta and cereal
I think Ill be tehr same. Minus the beer. I dont like teh taste of beer.
And cereal, ew. I dont like milk.
Cake Power
Report 10 years ago
Try cereal with bananas and almonds. It's heavenly
NoshiSushi
I like bananas, not almods.
And milk still sucks.
COCOPOPS! <33333
pcok
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NoshiSushi)
Does debanhams have everything? For a reasonable price? Ill have to hunt for one closest to me when I get to London.
THANK YOU.
Debenhanms have everything, but very overpriced. I guess it depends how much money you have, but I work at Matalan, and bought pretty much all of my uni stuff there, except for kettle, toaster, sandwich maker. These are cheaper in Tesco - like £3 or something stupid! Can't go wrong for that price!

You're going to need a load of other stuff if you're on your own.

If you go on here (pages 28-29) there are many things to give you an idea of Mataln prices, for example the storage boxes, clothes horse, duvet, pillows, pop up laundry bins etc. And on page 30, there's a set for £60 with saucepans, frying pan, utensils, baking tray, which would be a lot cheaper than buying seperately.

Most of this stuff is in Matalan too, but even cheaper! Tesco and Matalan would probably be your best places to shop, as they'll have everything and very cheap.

There's loads more, which I'll add when I think of it.
pcok
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Basically my mum and nan have been buying most of that sort of stuff for me, like a few things a week for a few months. When you're buying it all in one it will add up very quickly, I'm sure.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (166)
18.57%
No (543)
60.74%
Not really bothered about them (185)
20.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise