The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Is Exeter University racist?

I have just received an offer to study a masters at Exeter. I am a British Indian and have just recently found about lots of racist scandals etc. in Exeter and how it has a reputation for racism. I was planning join loads of sports clubs and societies etc as I am a pretty social guy, but now I'm very concerned about whether I should join them or even go to the uni. Can someone who goes/went to Exeter weigh in please? Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I highly doubt an entire university is racist.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I highly doubt an entire university is racist.

I know that lol, I meant a sizeable portion of the uni could be and has anyone experienced /seen any
Reply 3
Hi,

As a masters student, I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you haven’t come here from Ibz Mo? 😂

I attend Exeter, and even though as a white male I can’t completely relate, I’ve never seen any kind of racism at the uni, or know of no one who has been victim to it.

There have been 1 or 2 incidents, but I’m sure if you type in any uni in the country followed by “racist”, you’ll find some kind of incident. At every uni, you’re going to get a couple of people who are ignorant/racist, and in predominantly white, middle-class unis, that’s just the sad reality.

The uni has a no tolerance policy to racism, and those involved in previous incidents were expelled from the uni.

This question gets asked so frequently, and it’s quite draining. An entire institution cannot be “racist” and it’s a hurtful thing for people to keep on asking online. Kids are impressionable.
I have just received an offer to study a masters at Exeter. I am a British Indian and have just recently found about lots of racist scandals etc. in Exeter and how it has a reputation for racism. I was planning join loads of sports clubs and societies etc as I am a pretty social guy, but now I'm very concerned about whether I should join them or even go to the uni. Can someone who goes/went to Exeter weigh in please? Thanks :smile:

Hi Anonymous,

There is no hiding that we have had some bad publicity regarding racism over the last few years, which would rightly so concern many people considering applying to Exeter. As you say in the thread, the reported incidents are not representative of the whole student/staff body and the University is committed to supporting all students and staff. I cannot speak for individual students at Exeter, but as an institution we certainly do not tolerate any racism and will act decisively on any reported incidents.

There is also no hiding the fact that the South West is less diverse than other parts of the UK. As a university we continue to make progress in building a more ethnically diverse UK undergraduate student body, increasing the proportion of home Black, Asian and other minority ethnicities (BAME) students steadily from 5.8% in 2011/12 to 11.1%in 17/18. It is also worth noting that 19% of our student population is international, coming from over 160 different countries. As an intuition we want to attract the brightest minds, regardless of their background and personal circumstances.

We have a range of societies in our student union representing a range of different interests highlighting that there is diversity within our student body. A full list of these can be found here (Exeter campuses) and here (Penryn Campus) and hopefully shows that you will find like-minded students. As you already know societies are a great way to meet people with similar interests regardless of which university you are at so I would recommend getting involved.

If you want to speak to current students to get a sense of what Exeter is like, obviously the Student Room is a great platform for this. You may also be interested in trying our ask a current student messaging service where we have Masters students from a range of programmes available to chat.

I appreciate that this is not necessarily the student perspective that you were looking for but I hope that this is still useful and helps with your decision making. If you have any further questions about Exeter please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
If you're British Indian, non-muslim you shouldn't have a problem :smile: Have a good one mate!
Tbh if you type in any university followed by the word ''racist'' something will come up. Also, it isn't the most diverse of unis but that doesn't make it racist. I would recommend watching OneCanFran she interviews a black, Muslim student who talks about what it's like to go to Exeter as a minority and muslim. Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHXXft2vo8M
If you're British Indian, non-muslim you shouldn't have a problem :smile: Have a good one mate!

Why would that be? Even Chinese people get attacked here. Exeter and Devon do indeed have some deep issues with racism and xenophobia.

To the original poster: find somewhere better where there is more to do and room to grow. The uni does have a problem but the city and region are far worse.
Reply 8
I mean Katie Hopkins went to Exeter I think that should say something...

No and no plus you are talking about a small incident of a small group of students who were widely condemned about an incident that happened off campus. I think its a bit rich of indians to start getting the moral high ground when they have the disgusting caste system and poor record on womens rights.

Exeter has 22,500 students, the incident concerned 5-8 of them and some less than savoury tweets, not rapes or killings.
You really need to keep things in context and a sense of proportion.
Original post by Arisapo
Hi,

As a masters student, I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you haven’t come here from Ibz Mo? 😂

I attend Exeter, and even though as a white male I can’t completely relate, I’ve never seen any kind of racism at the uni, or know of no one who has been victim to it.

There have been 1 or 2 incidents, but I’m sure if you type in any uni in the country followed by “racist”, you’ll find some kind of incident. At every uni, you’re going to get a couple of people who are ignorant/racist, and in predominantly white, middle-class unis, that’s just the sad reality.

The uni has a no tolerance policy to racism, and those involved in previous incidents were expelled from the uni.

This question gets asked so frequently, and it’s quite draining. An entire institution cannot be “racist” and it’s a hurtful thing for people to keep on asking online. Kids are impressionable.

Tbf if you examine the incidents the uni is all talk and they let most of said student creep back in and backed down, much to the horror and distress of the victims. Their response was shocking, pitiful and insincere. The people who really responded were the lecturers and students.
Original post by 999tigger
No and no plus you are talking about a small incident of a small group of students who were widely condemned about an incident that happened off campus. I think its a bit rich of indians to start getting the moral high ground when they have the disgusting caste system and poor record on womens rights.

Exeter has 22,500 students, the incident concerned 5-8 of them and some less than savoury tweets, not rapes or killings.
You really need to keep things in context and a sense of proportion.

“Less than savoury tweets” oh my to ise sn understatement!

Caste system? Um.. stay on topic and do not deflect.

What is truly unsavoury is sweetening sick and violent tweets and then gaslighting the issue.

To anonymous. Go somewhere better. Just leaving snobbery and racism aside: Exeter and Devon have are as bland as processed meat.
“Less than savoury tweets” oh my to ise sn understatement!

Caste system? Um.. stay on topic and do not deflect.

What is truly unsavoury is sweetening sick and violent tweets and then gaslighting the issue.

To anonymous. Go somewhere better. Just leaving snobbery and racism aside: Exeter and Devon have are as bland as processed meat.

He has already seen the tweets.
I tend not to waste time arguing with people hiding behind anonymous. Use your real account.
Original post by 999tigger
He has already seen the tweets.
I tend not to waste time arguing with people hiding behind anonymous. Use your real account.

I have said my piece. My argument takes precedence over name, race or age.

I also don’t hide behind “unsavoury” doublespeak.
I have said my piece. My argument takes precedence over name, race or age.

I also don’t hide behind “unsavoury” doublespeak.

As said you hid, which removes most of any credibility.

I know all the tweets that were posted I didnt sweeten them and if you wish you can post them all if you feel that helps.
I have not approved or defended any such statement in fact I widely condemned them at the time, which all goes to show how fake and wide of the mark you are anonymous or not.
If that makes you feel better!
The culture of racism at Exeter Uni is structural
And systematic. Basically racist reign at Exeter. All powerful people at the Uni are exceedingly racist but if you don’t trust me you can wait until you get into trouble with them. The only step that can change the University staff’s discriminatory decision is a legal threat/ email from a lawyer where he or she has explained with the language of the law that the University’s decision has been discriminatory and actions can be taken at court. These racist officials should be deemed as criminals for daring to abuse their professional platform to inflict harm in the lives of minority students who happen to be Muslim.
Reply 17
Original post by 25AzizJustice
And systematic. Basically racist reign at Exeter. All powerful people at the Uni are exceedingly racist but if you don’t trust me you can wait until you get into trouble with them. The only step that can change the University staff’s discriminatory decision is a legal threat/ email from a lawyer where he or she has explained with the language of the law that the University’s decision has been discriminatory and actions can be taken at court. These racist officials should be deemed as criminals for daring to abuse their professional platform to inflict harm in the lives of minority students who happen to be Muslim.

The racism is certainly structural at Exeter, look at the physics lecturer that won the unfair dismissal (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-60036791). This is not an isolated incident either. I know that the Provost also has a vendetta against a biology lecturer and trying to get rid of them too, and other staff members who have been given pay-offs for the way they have been treated to avoid unfair dismissal claims.
I just wanted to jump in here. I have previously posted about the work the University of Exeter is doing to ensure our community is inclusive and diverse. Rather than provide another institutional response I shall instead urge anyone wanting to find out about the University of Exeter to reach out to our current students directly to find out their experiences, for example using our ask a current student messaging service. There is always work that can be done to improve, but hopefully speaking to our students will provide you with the information you are looking for to find out more about our diverse student and staff community.

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Original post by 25AzizJustice

All the points made here equally apply to staff who are mysogynistic and sexist despite having wife & partner & children and in some cases elderly men who are all grey. That fact that these men can get away with unwanted tree d advances, sexual innuendo, sexual harassment, withholding my of vital information in their role as personal tutor, senior personal tutor and worse Director of Education and thereby setting up targetted minority female Studnet for failure for her refusal to be exploited shows the university has failed to prevent sexual misconduct from its exceedingly misogynistic senior staff especially form it’s Law School. Having spoke to a Speka Out guardian, I have been told all old men in the Uni behave in that manner. Female Studnets should be prepared to be treated as loose women who will be demanded for sexual favours and when rejected you our degree will be harmed since these teachers are all linked and these oldies often act like old boys club despite those of us have grandparents still alive.

Latest

Trending

Trending