The Student Room Group

Do you ever get jealous of people smarter than you?

This girl in my year got 5.9 in her BMAT I only got 4.5. I used to think she was just hard-working but actually she is very naturally smart. I am kind of jealous of her and her intelligence and how easy it is for her to do well. Anyone else kind of feel that way.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by karl pilkington
This girl in my year got 5.9 in her BMAT I only got 4.5. I used to think she was just hard-working but actually she is very naturally smart. I am kind of jealous of her and her intelligence and how easy it is for her to do well. Anyone else kind of feel that way.

Doe anyone not feel this way?! I find that no matter how high I get if one person has beaten me I am upset/disappointed in myself.
Reply 2
Don’t look up at where you couldn’t yet reach, look back at how far you’ve come! It’ll motivate you to work even harder and keep up your confidence 😊
Not anymore, I m dyslexic and dyspraxic and so I ll never be able to be as good as "normal" people at certain things and I wasted a lot of time on wishing I could rather than focusing on what I am very good at.
Someone might be "naturally smart" but they ll have some sort of weakness, you just might not know about it.
Original post by roseabates
Doe anyone not feel this way?! I find that no matter how high I get if one person has beaten me I am upset/disappointed in myself.

Yeah I hate to be beaten, however, people who are naturally very intelligent also find it easier to get the grades which is kind of disheartening.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Not really. I tend to focus on what I am doing rather than what other people are up to.
Original post by roseabates

Thats life im afraid, there will always be people better than you, equally there will be people not as good as you.
Reply 7
As a very (sadly?) competitive person I understand how you feel. Nonetheless, instead of building that jealousy in I'll simply go up to the person and ask them questions like, how do you revise? can you please hand me some past works? Like genuinely showing interest in how "effective" is their way of working.
yes, it motivates me to improve and eventually become miles better than them
No.
Life is too short to waste time on being jealous or fixated upon other people's lives and achievements.
It's pretty normal to feel that way. Though you have to remember that they have worked hard for their results. It may seem to you like they are 'naturally smart', but it's much more highly likely that over their lifetime they've just studied more than you, so as a result of that they've found efficient ways to study and this makes them getting good grades look effortless.

If you feel jealous, use that as motivation to do well, but don't be bitter about it. Be happy for them, and work harder on your own self-esteem and work ethic.
No. Just because somebody is book smart doesn't mean they are useful in other aspects of life which require more common sense. I rate common sense and basic life skills higher than how well somebody passes an exam they revised for, and will probably forget what it is they revised a few days later.
No. I focus on myself and what I'm capable of. Why would I care about what another person has achieved?
Yeah they can, but I rate people with latter more, before I rate them on how book smart they are. Don't get insulted.
A little bit.

More so I want to hang around them more to see what interesting insights I can get, and just to chat about the subject generally. If you get intimidated, that's just unproductive. You're never going to be the smartest person in the world and that doesn't have to be a discouraging thing.
Reply 15
no

I don't do jealousy full stop. I am fairly detached and disinterested in this way
Reply 16
No. Instead of wasting my time and effort worrying about what someone else has accomplished, Id rather use that time to study and work harder.

Quick Reply

Latest