Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Basically, my situation is that I was all set on doing a degree in Geography, and already decided most uni's i was planning to apply to, but recently I've been considering other options, medicine and more science related courses. I do really love geography, and would like to study it, but my main problem is what i would do after uni, as only a few of the jobs related to this degree vaguely appeal to me, and I don't think i'd be satisfyed being in a job that didn't require a degree.
    To be honest, I never really considered medicine to begin with, as only in the last couple of years have i started really enjoying science at school, and i always thoguht the course was too hard to get into, so I never fully thought about it. But now i have, it is starting to appeal to me more and more...

So I got my AS results which were 4A's (in geography, chemistry, maths and biology ) and was originally planning on dropping chemistry, but now im unsure about this, as obviously if i was hoping to apply for something medicine related it would be beneficial to have chem at A2. I know its too late to consider applying for this this year, so if i did choose to, i would have a gap year, and apply in 2009 for 2010 entry and apply this year for geography as planned. I don't have any work experience at the moment, apart from a part time job at boots, which ive had for the last year, mainly working behind the healthcare counter, which i have enjoyed, helping customers with basic problems etc, and although difficult at times, it can be very satisfying...

So yeah, thats pretty much it, i'm just unsure about what to do, as I did have it all planned out, but now im doubting everything! Any advice would be gratefuly appreicated! P.S sorry about the essay

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, its a fairly familiar situation with AS students. Some people find that the simple opportunity of applying for medicine makes them try and others only just come to it at this stage, it seems to be a fairly common. For some people its just a passing thing and for others its a serious career choice. Only good way to find out is to organise some proper hospital-based work experience and see what the job involves. If it doesn't scare you ****less, keep at it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice, nice to know its not uncommon what im thinking!
    I will try and look into w/e to give me a taster of what the job entails

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 31, 2008

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.