Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
B1598 - House of Lords Referendum Bill 2020, TSR Labour Party

House of Lords (Referendum) Bill (2020)

A bill to hold a referendum on the constitutional nature of the House of Lords

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1) The holding of a referendum
  1. That a referendum be held on TSR in the month of August or September 2020 in accordance with Section VII of the Guidance Document.

2) Format
  1. The question asked in the referendum is ‘Do you believe that the House of Lords should be abolished, reformed into an elected chamber, or remain as it is’?.
  2. If no overall majority is reached in the first round of the referendum then the first two options will feature in a run off referendum.

3) Education

a) That government facilitates the delivery leaflets and literature and television advertisements from all campaigns whilst keeping neutral itself.

4) Extent, commencement, and short title

a) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.

b) This Act comes into force on the day on which it is passed.

c) This Act may be cited as the House of Lords (Referendum) Act 2020

Notes

The question of the House of Lords and its constitutional nature have been hotly disputed in the past. Previous governments such as that of Tony Blair and the Coalition government have tried and failed to successfully reform the House of Lords. One of the largest obstacles to reform is that it is unclear what will replace the status quo, abolition or replacement with an elected chamber. This referendum will resolve this issue, and further give popular legitimacy to the chamber if the public choose to keep the status quo.
Theloniouss
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This seems sensible, although I would prefer some sort of ranked choice vote. (presumably that is not possible)
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I take it that by elected chamber we're talking a fully elected chamber and not a partially elected one? If so, why can't this be an option?

Also, the idea of possibly having multiple referendums isn't incredibly appealing.
BosslyGaming
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
This seems sensible, although I would prefer some sort of ranked choice vote. (presumably that is not possible)
Yeah, since this is for a TSR referendum we can't have ranked choice voting as the TSR poll functionality wouldn't support it.
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
I take it that by elected chamber we're talking a fully elected chamber and not a partially elected one? If so, why can't this be an option?

Also, the idea of possibly having multiple referendums isn't incredibly appealing.
How so? That's how NZ did their flag referendum recently. Furthermore several countries have run off elections.
And yes I guess you make a good point where another option could be added, however.
Last edited by JMR2020.; 1 month ago
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
Yes it would be difficult to do that on TSR
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
2.2 is constitutionally questionable

We also have the general problem that nobody cares, just look at the last few referendums.
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
2.2 is constitutionally questionable

We also have the general problem that nobody cares, just look at the last few referendums.
I don't see how it is constitutionally questionable.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A referendum on an issue I doubt many people care about.

The options are incomplete. What is someone wants only to reduce the size of it? What if someone only wants to introduce a system for removing Lords?
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Andrew97 The rules clearly state that we can have one referendum per term, so why allow a bill requiring two?

As for the bill itself, you ignore a whole host of other possibilities. the question is not phrased on neutral terms imo. and referendums are not the way to do this.
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aph)
Andrew97 The rules clearly state that we can have one referendum per term, so why allow a bill requiring two?

As for the bill itself, you ignore a whole host of other possibilities. the question is not phrased on neutral terms imo. and referendums are not the way to do this.
There's one referendum - a run off is not a separate referendum but an extension of the same issue.
Referenda are the way to settle constitutional issues.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JMR2020.)
There's one referendum - a run off is not a separate referendum but an extension of the same issue.
What's your favourite dictionary? I like Cambridge.

Referendum: a vote in which all the people in a country or an area are asked to give their opinion about or decide an important political or social question.

It doesn't say votes
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's two polls so two referendums.
That's an opinion, not a matter of fact.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Given referendums here are binding, I think we need detail on what a reformed, elected chamber would look like before we hold the referendum.
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
What's your favourite dictionary? I like Cambridge.

Referendum: a vote in which all the people in a country or an area are asked to give their opinion about or decide an important political or social question.

It doesn't say votes
(Original post by Aph)
It's two polls so two referendums.
That's an opinion, not a matter of fact.
I guess we will have to hear the ruling of Andrew97 on this matter.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Aph)

The bill just states a referendum should be run this term (sept Oct) doesn’t say anything about when the runoff should be held. It be held thr next term one imagines in any case.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
The bill just states a referendum should be run this term (sept Oct) doesn’t say anything about when the runoff should be held. It be held thr next term one imagines in any case.
So you can make decisions!

Actually, no, you haven't really delivered a ruling.
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 1 month ago
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
In which case you are binding a new parliament to holding a referendum it may not want to because of the binding nature of referendums.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't see how it is constitutionally questionable.
Because does the second vote count as a second referendum or part of the first. If it is a second then it at the very least must be next term.

Also the way the GD words referendums creates more avenues for argument given it only operating on the basis of binary referendums.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aph)
In which case you are binding a new parliament to holding a referendum it may not want to because of the binding nature of referendums.
You've overlooking the fact that Andrew didn't actually settle the matter, he merely stated the second vote could be next term, not whether it would have to be or not.

Shouldn't be surprising, Andrew doesn't like answering questions on any sticky matter.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (41)
13.67%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (44)
14.67%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (105)
35%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.67%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
21.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.33%

Watched Threads