Do I have a right to be annoyed at this? Watch

Sick Puppy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
At the end of my A2 exams, I went and worked in a school from the last week in June until the end of term. I earned about a grand, and finished on the 22nd of July.

So far, I got a letter from the council giving me a pay slip for £115 dated the 25th of July. I called them up, because I earned about 10 times that and they said that £115 was my pay for June, and that I'd get the rest in August.

I worked 6 days in June, which by my calculations (41 hours at £7.46 per hour) I should have been paid £305.86 which is a lot more than the £115 they gave me.

Because I was paid the money for June on the 25th of July, I assumed that I'd be paid the rest on the 25th of August but no. I allowed a few days because it was the bank holiday weekend but now it's the 30th and I still haven't been paid. I rang the council up yesterday, and they basically told me that I'd "probably" be paid the rest of it in September "sometime" and that the extra money from June should be with it.

I know I was only a temp, but surely they should have paid me by now and can't postpone it another month?!
fieryiceissweet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sick Puppy)
At the end of my A2 exams, I went and worked in a school from the last week in June until the end of term. I earned about a grand, and finished on the 22nd of July.

So far, I got a letter from the council giving me a pay slip for £115 dated the 25th of July. I called them up, because I earned about 10 times that and they said that £115 was my pay for June, and that I'd get the rest in August.

I worked 6 days in June, which by my calculations (41 hours at £7.46 per hour) I should have been paid £305.86 which is a lot more than the £115 they gave me.

Because I was paid the money for June on the 25th of July, I assumed that I'd be paid the rest on the 25th of August but no. I allowed a few days because it was the bank holiday weekend but now it's the 30th and I still haven't been paid. I rang the council up yesterday, and they basically told me that I'd "probably" be paid the rest of it in September "sometime" and that the extra money from June should be with it.

I know I was only a temp, but surely they should have paid me by now and can't postpone it another month?!
yes you obviously are right to be annoyed at it
i would be seriously pissy as well
but i dont know if theres a lot you can do about it, unless you involve lawyers and stuff
Sick Puppy
Rep:
?
(Original post by fieryiceissweet)
yes you obviously are right to be annoyed at it
i would be seriously pissy as well
but i dont know if theres a lot you can do about it, unless you involve lawyers and stuff
Yeah I want my money!!! But I really don't know what to do. If I don't get paid, then I'm flat out broke for fresher's week :eek:

And I'm not keen on getting lawyers onto the people sorting out my student loan... funnily enough!
HearTheThunder
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm sure if you threatened to involve lawyers they'd get their act together.
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Councils almost always pay on the 25th, one month in hand. They're also incredibly inefficient.
Sick Puppy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dionysus)
Councils almost always pay on the 25th, one month in hand. They're also incredibly inefficient.
yeah they managed to lose my student loan application twice, and then submit my details under the name "Mike" :no:

I guess I can just hope they pay me on the 25th of September
Heldenzeit
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Where I worked the financial month, doesn't finish at the end of the month but the weekend before the end of the month, so maybe the rest of your pay for June will be included on your next payslip.
spider from mars
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, "June" probably doesn't actually mean to the end of June. Quite a few places end their month a few days early when calculating pay I think.
FireDeuce
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dionysus)
:lies:
Mine pay on the 15th. But yes, incredibly inefficient :yep:
bighairedmike
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by spider from mars)
Yeah, "June" probably doesn't actually mean to the end of June. Quite a few places end their month a few days early when calculating pay I think.
where i work the pay i get at the end of, say august, is actually the hours i worked from the second sunday in july to the second sunday in august. and it goes on like that.

so when i leave i will get a pay cheque the next month as well.
Dstbgre
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah a temp worker in a school - I really know how you feel.
I sometimes work in IT Support at my old school. The first time I worked there I finished in September to go to uni. Didnt recieve my wages until December.
If you are working for a council its all part of the course im afraid. Nothing you can do about it - believe me I have tried.
Was it the first time you worked there? If so im assuming you had to go through the usual checks i.e. fill out a starters form and sign up for an enhanced CRB check? Well it took about 2 months to get the information from the starters form onto the payroll system at the council. Even with the head of IT demanding that we get paid sooner we didnt and I know that a lot of phone calls were made on my behalf. Tis still bloody annoying though.
If you go back to work there again though you should be paid on pay day, or at least I was. It just seemed to be the first block of time I worke there which was an issue.
magicbean
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's terrible! Send them a formal letter of complaint, much harder to ignore than phone calls.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (77)
26.92%
No (209)
73.08%

Watched Threads