The Student Room Group

Applying to medicine but unsure what to say

My A-Levels that I chose to study are Biology, Chemistry and Law. Really not a fan of law, and I know that if I potentially get to the interview stage there is a chance that unis would ask why I chose it. Any ideas what I could say if I’m applying to medicine?
Reply 1
Original post by NT02
My A-Levels that I chose to study are Biology, Chemistry and Law. Really not a fan of law, and I know that if I potentially get to the interview stage there is a chance that unis would ask why I chose it. Any ideas what I could say if I’m applying to medicine?

You won’t get asked about your A level choices no matter what subjects you do. You will need to get an A in it though so that may be compromised if you really don’t enjoy it?
I doubt they would ask why you chose it because there are more important questions they could ask. @becausethenight any thoughts?
Original post by NT02

So perhaps you should give us a clue? What's in your mind when you think of studying medicine?
Original post by NT02

What do you mean you are not a fan of Law? It doesn’t make sense to be taking it as an A-Level then...
Original post by NT02

Can confirm you almost certainly won’t get asked about why you picked X A levels - I did Bio, Chem, Latin, and Phil&Theo, had 4 interviews, no one batted an eyelid. Interviews are increasingly standardised for fairness, so you’re not likely to get asked a very left-field, personal question! Focus on questions you will get asked, like ‘why med’, once you know you have an interview.

Could you switch subjects if you’re not enjoying Law, btw?
Reply 6
Original post by becausethenight
Can confirm you almost certainly won’t get asked about why you picked X A levels - I did Bio, Chem, Latin, and Phil&Theo, had 4 interviews, no one batted an eyelid. Interviews are increasingly standardised for fairness, so you’re not likely to get asked a very left-field, personal question! Focus on questions you will get asked, like ‘why med’, once you know you have an interview.

Could you switch subjects if you’re not enjoying Law, btw?

Phew thats a relief! It’s too late to switch now since I’ve finished first year already and I’ve already got answers lined up for why med too. I was just lost on what I would say if they asked 😂. Thanks a lot
Reply 7
Original post by Laycity
You won’t get asked about your A level choices no matter what subjects you do. You will need to get an A in it though so that may be compromised if you really don’t enjoy it?

Yeah I think getting an A is definitely doable. If they don’t ask why I chose it then I should be good to go then. Just thought they might find it a bit random seeing that I’m applying to medicine but chose a Law a-level like I’m in two minds about it.
In the event you were asked, you might say that you understand doctors must have a strong moral compass and of course, it is a profession which demands a lot of ethical considerations and a lot of laws to follow. It's a stretch, but maybe say you are interested in the skills you could gain from studying A-Level Law - communication is a big one. Essay based subjects are good for training you to make concise and relevant arguments, and something like law develops logical thinking too.
Reply 9
Original post by carlyhorne
In the event you were asked, you might say that you understand doctors must have a strong moral compass and of course, it is a profession which demands a lot of ethical considerations and a lot of laws to follow. It's a stretch, but maybe say you are interested in the skills you could gain from studying A-Level Law - communication is a big one. Essay based subjects are good for training you to make concise and relevant arguments, and something like law develops logical thinking too.

That sounds pretty good to say thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending