username5332164
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How big is the difference between universities ranked on the top 10, 30, 50, 70, 100
EU Yakov
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
pointless question

much better to look at
a) what the best uni you can get to is with your grades
b) what the differences between your 5, 6, 7 shortlisted unis are for the course you're interested in

you're asking for an abstract answer to what is a very specific and practical question
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Failure In Life)
How big is the difference between universities ranked on the top 10, 30, 50, 70, 100
In general unis towards the top tend to be better then those at the bottom, but the rankings are pretty awful (imo) especially for direct uni to uni comparisons.

They methodologies are rather poor imo and the underlying data is even worse.

These league tables dont well represent employability or subject expertise, instead they are essentially an indexed moshpit of somewhat representative data.

I'll always recommend drawing up your own set of factors and do your own research on these factors specifically.
MalcolmX
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it is better to judge universities by their entry requirements rather than league table rankings. A university that has AAA entry requirements for most courses will most likely provide better education and prospects than one with CCC entry requirements.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MalcolmX)
I think it is better to judge universities by their entry requirements rather than league table rankings. A university that has AAA entry requirements for most courses will most likely provide better education and prospects than one with CCC entry requirements.
There are definitely unis which take deliberate advantage of this though, asking for high grades purely to attract good candidates, then going into clearing later.

There is only one subject that actually has all its graduates doing national exams after graduation AFAIK. Comparisons are hence very challenging.
username5332164
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i am just going to go to one that will take me and have a TEF Gold
EU Yakov
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Failure In Life)
i am just going to go to one that will take me and have a TEF Gold
TEF gold is a university level certification, not a course-level one

your course may be 'TEF Bronze' for all you know !!
MalcolmX
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nexttime)
There are definitely unis which take deliberate advantage of this though, asking for high grades purely to attract good candidates, then going into clearing later.
That is true; the average A-Level grades of entrants may be a better metric than average entry requirements.
There is only one subject that actually has all its graduates doing national exams after graduation AFAIK. Comparisons are hence very challenging.
Medicine?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MalcolmX)
Medicine?
Yeah - the easily available data is all UCAS points though which doesn't seem as good.

And yes medicine, as far as I know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (25)
30.86%
Less motivated (56)
69.14%

Watched Threads