The Student Room Group

For all the UKCATers.

Many of you will be panicked /nervous/scared around this time as you sit the CAT. I thought id just help you guys a little as I can imagine what you are going though.

Right, firstly as you know the CAT it divided into 5 sections
-Verbal reasoning
-Quantitative reasoning
-Abstract reasoning
-Decision analysis
-Non-cognitive analysis (you do not get marked for this section)

www.ukcat.ac.uk (for all your questions answered, your bible for the test)

What do I need to bring?
Your passport
confirmation letter
Nothing else.

What am i given?
A calculator
A whiteboard and pen. (You will need to ask them for a new board if you use both sides of ur pervious one. No eraser is given and the pen is permanent.)

How is it marked?
No one really knows. However the lowest score is 300 (even if u get them all wrong) and the highest is 900. With the average going from 500-700.

Do all unis use it?
No.

Will unis consider me if i do bad?
Depends really, different unis look at it differently. Barts, for example have had a cut off point at 600 for the past two years. Kings rates it highly, around 700? (correct me if im wrong). Best way would be to e-mail or phone the uni up and ask them.

Can i retake the test?
Sadly no. You are only allowed to do it once per year.

:woo: Revision?:woo:
As already said numerous times, you cannot revise for the UKCAT.
However you can practise for it and get a feel for the questions.

I would suggest doing bit by bit everyday, it helps you to keep cool and bring your confidence up. Be sure to book the test at least 13 days in advance, (unless you are really confident go youu!:yep: )

These two books were excellent 1 and 2

Number 1, contradicts itself a lot with the verbal reasoning and is easier in the quantitative reasoning section compared to the real test... having said that.. its a good way to brush up on your basic maths and then try questions in book 2. As for the verbal reasoning section... i would read the explanations, they are really helpful.

How much time should i practice?
1-2 hours everyday should be more than enough.

Where/how shall i start?
Order book number 1... read it and start, you will know what to do

Ive done the questions in the book and site, but still not ready :no:
Questions

Ow and thought id just add one more thing, the UKCAT site IS harder than the real exam for QR. So please do not panic.
Hope it helps.. Good luck everyone!! :smile:
Reply 1
This is now a sister thread to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=621992. 'Questions' link is broken, but good work lilac :smile:
Reply 2
now fixed :smile:
Reply 3
There's also some info on the wiki here that could be useful :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending