Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey.

What are the bars in Aberdeen like for accepting provisional licence? When I go out in Newcastle or Whitley Bay, I'm constantly ID'd, so I have to cart my passport around with me. I'm considering getting a provisional simply for going out at uni (I have no intention of learning to drive!). But I've heard stories of some places not accepting a provisional licence as a valid proof of age. Is this true of Aberdeen? I really don't want to risk loosing my passport, but I don't want to shell out £50 for a provisional to find it won't be of much use.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I take my Passport out with me because I don't have a full driving license, but I think you can get proper ID such as a citizencard etc.

ReputationRep:
    You get a uni ID card when you arrive, although I'm not sure if it would be widely accepted outside of the uni?

I always use my provisional licence when I buy alcohol at supermarkets and haven't had any problems (not in Aberdeen, mind).

I'm guessing it should be OK.

ReputationRep:
    To reiterate what has been said on the other thread.

STUDENT ID DOES NOT HAVE YOUR AGE OR DATE OF BIRTH PRINTED ON IT, IT CAN NOT BE USED TO PROVE YOUR AGE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dd1989)
    To reiterate what has been said on the other thread.

STUDENT ID DOES NOT HAVE YOUR AGE OR DATE OF BIRTH PRINTED ON IT, IT CAN NOT BE USED TO PROVE YOUR AGE.
    Well mine does, it might be different for Aberdeen uni but everyone at RGU has their DOB on their student card.

Kind of irrelevant though as quite a lot of places don't accept student ID as being valid, and sometimes if they do you have to have a bank card as well. With provisional licences i'm pretty sure you shouldn't have a problem with the majority of places, i've only known someone to get turned down for it once, and that was in an off licence in glasgow. Can really depend on the bouncer and how they're feeling though how strict they are with IDing.
    But i would say its probably worth it to get one, cos driving licences are smaller and will fit in a purse/wallet easily, and will be a lot less to replace if you lose it.

ReputationRep:
    Most places will accept provisional licences, in my experience. Some places will ONLY accept passport or driving licence.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, provisional licence is widely accepted in Aberdeen so that'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    What about other European ID's? For example I still have my Dutch residency card, it has my date of birth etc. and it's valid for another couple years. Do you know if it'll work or will I have to bring my passport around with me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pryste)
    What about other European ID's? For example I still have my Dutch residency card, it has my date of birth etc. and it's valid for another couple years. Do you know if it'll work or will I have to bring my passport around with me?
    My mate often forgets his normal ID and takes his Kuwaiti citizen card with him. The bouncer's have no idea what a Kuwaiti ID looks like, so they tend to presume it's genuine ID.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea about other nationality cards, but it should be possible to get a uk licience if you need one. My flatmate is italian and she got one in her first year.
    Personally I've never had a problem with my provisional licience, and the Aberdeen University student ID is never accepted, because it doesn't have our DOB on it. I think our ID card system is daft. No DOB, and we have to get a new one every year.

ReputationRep:
    And yet the photo doesn't change, is that right?

ReputationRep:
    Photo doesn't change, I still have brown hair according to my photo.
    I'm fine with it, because it's a rather sexual photo if I do say so myself.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.