University of Sheffield Clearing and Adjustment thread 2020

Watch
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
This is a thread to discuss The University of Sheffield for Clearing 2020.

You can find their current course listings here >>

Get more information about Clearing on TSR and ask for advice here >>

And here >>

Good luck with everything! Image
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Posting to subscribe. :bl:
WorriedThrowaway
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I missed my offer by a grade, I'm appealing it. Is there any point in applying for a similar course through clearing, even though I've missed a grade? If my appeal is successful and I meet the requirements, would the uni still be able to offer me a place?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by WorriedThrowaway)
I missed my offer by a grade, I'm appealing it. Is there any point in applying for a similar course through clearing, even though I've missed a grade? If my appeal is successful and I meet the requirements, would the uni still be able to offer me a place?
What course is it that you initially applied for?

The answer to your second question is yes, 100%. We're waiting until next week to hear from Ofqual about any change to timings of appeals though (given recent news about the mocks).
WorriedThrowaway
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by 04MR17)

The answer to your second question is yes, 100%. We're waiting until next week to hear from Ofqual about any change to timings of appeals though (given recent news about the mocks).
I originally applied for Accounting and Economics but I'd like to try for Economics. They both require BBB however I've been given BBC. I'm looking at other unis but I've got no idea what to do with these grades, I really didn't expect a C. Would it be worth it to apply?
Ausickz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I got in through Adjustment. LLB LAW
Anonymous #1
Report 9 months ago

Hi,
I have been rejected by both my firm & insurance, as the grades received today were lower than expected compared to mocks & predicted (most people at my college had their grades reduced as well), but my school said they will be appealing these grades.
My firm choice has already said that if the appeal is successful and I meet the entry requirements, they will accept me.

I now hold an offer through clearing for a different university (and am yet to confirm this offer - which will automatically decline in 3 days). If I accept this Clearing offer and my grade appeal is successful & I am given an offer by my original firm choice, will I be able to instead go to my firm university or will I have to stick with my Clearing choice?

Many thanks
irvluc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm a 4th year Uni of student, honestly, any of you worrying about missing grades, try not to be. My entry requirements for engineering were AAA and I ended up getting BBC and they still let me in because I stressed how much I wanted to be here on the phone. Sheffield's entry requirements are really really low for a Russell Group, I know tonnes of students here who missed their grades. I don't know many people who actually got their entry requirements and this was 4 years ago pre-COVID19 or any of the other struggles you guys are going through. (Obviously, your situation will be madly different to how mine was but the best advice I could give is to get on the phone to clearing staff and stress how much you want to be at this university etc, the clearing staff here usually listen and are quite sympathetic compared to what I've heard from other universities who just put the phone down).
Last edited by irvluc; 9 months ago
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I originally applied for Accounting and Economics but I'd like to try for Economics. They both require BBB however I've been given BBC. I'm looking at other unis but I've got no idea what to do with these grades, I really didn't expect a C. Would it be worth it to apply?
Have Sheffield definitely rejected you for Accounting and Economics?
What is Track showing for you?

It's certainly worth ringing Sheffield up to see what they might be able to offer you.

There are plenty of universities who will take you on an accounting and/or economics course with BBC, worth having a look on UCAS clearing search and finding some that might interest you - even if Sheffield do end up taking you it's nice to have some backup options.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,
I have been rejected by both my firm & insurance, as the grades received today were lower than expected compared to mocks & predicted (most people at my college had their grades reduced as well), but my school said they will be appealing these grades.
My firm choice has already said that if the appeal is successful and I meet the entry requirements, they will accept me.

I now hold an offer through clearing for a different university (and am yet to confirm this offer - which will automatically decline in 3 days). If I accept this Clearing offer and my grade appeal is successful & I am given an offer by my original firm choice, will I be able to instead go to my firm university or will I have to stick with my Clearing choice?

Many thanks
What your firm choice have said will also apply to your insurance - ring them up to let them know too. :yy:

If you're happy with the clearing offer you have as an alternative choice, then I would recommend accepting that through clearing. If your grades change as a result of an appeal, ring the clearing uni up and explain what has happened and ask them to release you. A university is not going to hold onto you if you tell them you don't want to go there anymore.
Anonymous #1
Report 9 months ago
What your firm choice have said will also apply to your insurance - ring them up to let them know too. :yy:

If you're happy with the clearing offer you have as an alternative choice, then I would recommend accepting that through clearing. If your grades change as a result of an appeal, ring the clearing uni up and explain what has happened and ask them to release you. A university is not going to hold onto you if you tell them you don't want to go there anymore.
Ok thank you
Tulsie123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Ausickz)
I got in through Adjustment. LLB LAW
That's wonderful news, massive well done I went to Sheffield and absolutely loved it there!
WorriedThrowaway
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by irvluc)
I'm a 4th year Uni of student, honestly, any of you worrying about missing grades, try not to be. My entry requirements for engineering were AAA and I ended up getting BBC and they still let me in because I stressed how much I wanted to be here on the phone. Sheffield's entry requirements are really really low for a Russell Group, I know tonnes of students here who missed their grades. I don't know many people who actually got their entry requirements and this was 4 years ago pre-COVID19 or any of the other struggles you guys are going through. (Obviously, your situation will be madly different to how mine was but the best advice I could give is to get on the phone to clearing staff and stress how much you want to be at this university etc, the clearing staff here usually listen and are quite sympathetic compared to what I've heard from other universities who just put the phone down).
Thank you, I'm trying to ring them at the moment.
WorriedThrowaway
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
They've said the cut off point is BBB, I'm just gutted
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
They've said the cut off point is BBB, I'm just gutted
Sorry to hear
What's your plan now though?
WorriedThrowaway
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Sorry to hear
What's your plan now though?
I found a different place through clearing as a backup in case the appeal didn't work, but now I get my CAGs which means I meet the requirements. I have no idea what to do though, when do we get the grades officially? Can I leave the place I've accepted through clearing for Sheffield?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I found a different place through clearing as a backup in case the appeal didn't work, but now I get my CAGs which means I meet the requirements. I have no idea what to do though, when do we get the grades officially? Can I leave the place I've accepted through clearing for Sheffield?
Sheffield have said:
If you are an applicant who held a firm or insurance offer with us, you do not need to tell us about your teacher-predicted grades. We are waiting for official confirmation of what happens next and once we have this information we will provide updates.

If, following the confirmation of teacher-predicted grades, you meet the terms of your firm or insurance offer with us by 7 September (31 August for Dentistry) we will confirm your place wherever possible. However, applicants who have applied for courses where there are strict limitations on the number of people who can study on the course each year – for example due to government quotas or other capacity constraints – will be guaranteed deferred entry to September 2021, provided they now meet the requirements of their offer.
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/results-regrading

I don't know how this will work through UCAS yet, and I know UCAS are trying to work that out now too! So have a bit of patience and sit tight for now!
Anonymous #2
Report 9 months ago
hey i advance registered and picked sheffield as a clearing choice two weeks ago... i was told my qualifications meet their requirements however no update on Track.. Have been trying to contact the uni but im always told to just wait for a response on UCAS... this is a bit frustrating cause it means im not officially accepted and im afraid my place will be gone. what should i do? who should i call?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hey i advance registered and picked sheffield as a clearing choice two weeks ago... i was told my qualifications meet their requirements however no update on Track.. Have been trying to contact the uni but im always told to just wait for a response on UCAS... this is a bit frustrating cause it means im not officially accepted and im afraid my place will be gone. what should i do? who should i call?
Have you called Sheffield over the phone and what did they last say to you, and when?
Anonymous #2
Report 9 months ago
Have you called Sheffield over the phone and what did they last say to you, and when?
called them today and they told me to wait... suggested i made another clearing application on ucas but i cant do that? cause i already selected them..... i dont wanna sound impatient or ungrateful i just dont get whats taking this long cause one time they said on the phone i got in.....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (37)
29.6%
No (88)
70.4%

Watched Threads