The Student Room Group

Stuff to put on a personal statement

Hi... I plan on studying Politics and IR at uni and I feel like I don't have enough to put on my personal statement, in terms of things that I've done outside studying for my a-levels (other than politics podcasts). I'd love it if anyone had anything IR related (perhaps a podcast or something not too time-consuming) that I could get into and add to my personal statement.
Original post by mrjla22
Hi... I plan on studying Politics and IR at uni and I feel like I don't have enough to put on my personal statement, in terms of things that I've done outside studying for my a-levels (other than politics podcasts). I'd love it if anyone had anything IR related (perhaps a podcast or something not too time-consuming) that I could get into and add to my personal statement.

Discuss the topics of IR that you would like to study and show your enthusiasm. (course descriptions help with this!).

Discuss your future career plans, and a desire for postgraduate study. Preferably pick something that your top choice offers and use that.

Send signals that you know why your studying for a degree and why. (the first two points help you do this). Just explaining why...

Don't worry about fabricating really complicated stuff, no one buys that 😂. But definitely include some IR books you've found inspiration from.

P.S. Your career plans and stuff will all change... But it just gives you a basis to talk about.... It doesn't even need to be super realistic....

But funnily enough i wrote that i wanted to study at postgrad level and picked a random topic i knew nothing about and put it into my P. S. A few years back.

And I'm studying that exact subject at postgrad level starting from September.... So you never know 😂.
(edited 3 years ago)
Check out the reading lists of unis you are interested in - that will give you a starting point of things to read/people to look up :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Discuss the topics of IR that you would like to study and show your enthusiasm. (course descriptions help with this!).

Discuss your future career plans, and a desire for postgraduate study. Preferably pick something that your top choice offers and use that.

Send signals that you know why your studying for a degree and why. (the first two points help you do this). Just explaining why...

Don't worry about fabricating really complicated stuff, no one buys that 😂. But definitely include some IR books you've found inspiration from.

P.S. Your career plans and stuff will all change... But it just gives you a basis to talk about.... It doesn't even need to be super realistic....

But funnily enough i wrote that i wanted to study at postgrad level and picked a random topic i knew nothing about and put it into my P. S. A few years back.

And I'm studying that exact subject at postgrad level starting from September.... So you never know 😂.

Thank you so much! I was a bit worried tbh. Do you have any IR books in mind that I could start off with?
Reply 4
Original post by mrjla22

You could try doing a course on Futurelearn?
Original post by mrjla22
Thank you so much! I was a bit worried tbh. Do you have any IR books in mind that I could start off with?

Not particularly i studied business...I'm only really into Mark Blythe...but his books deal more with political economy. You'll need to research this yourself... It's also important... Because you may not even like IR 🙄😂 make sure you know what your going to spend three year's doing.... Tbh, even if you decide to do a master's later....it will likely still be in the same domain... So choose wisely.
consider in your personal statement:

why you want to study your chosen course
why you think you are suitable
further research you have done into your subject (reading, podcast, online talks)
extra circular (if relates to chosen subject)
future career/ambitions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending