Personal statement for pure economics at TOP universities advice

Watch
killak434
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone,
I’m going to be applying to Cambridge, LSE etc for pure economics; I was just querying on what extra things I can put on my personal statement

Iv been reading extra materials on development economics (what I want to base my epq around), around 40 mins a day...I plan to add a couple chapters from 3 books in detail on there; how would I go about writing about these books as I don’t want to turn it into an essay analysing and stuff. The books I’m planning to put in are ‘why nations fail’, ‘development as freedom’ and ‘redistribution with growth; policies to improve income distribution’...Iv not read this book yet and if it is too complex, I’m planning to put in a bit about Joseph Schumpeter and the term he coined ‘creative destruction’. Also, possibly a chapter from ‘The Wealth Of Nations’ by Adam Smith.

Wow, there’s so many fascinating things I can write about which Iv read outside of my studies so I’m finding it extremely hard to cut down and mention a few in detail, without sounding like I haven’t looked outside of my economics subject.

Iv also taken AS Further maths for my a2 year next year and I did do an epq but I dropped it as I wanted to focus on revising for my core subjects to achieve all a stars and for my ecaa’s for Cambridge.

Iv also watched 2 podcasts about the unprecedented rate at which the earth is being degraded due to excessive human wants and put them in.

I’m currently planning on applying for Cambridge as a first choice as I will have the predicted grades and should achieve them, if I get rejected I’m planning on taking a gap year and reapplying. However if I get accepted to LSE and achieve my offer I’m most likely going to study there.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by killak434)
Hello everyone,
I’m going to be applying to Cambridge, LSE etc for pure economics; I was just querying on what extra things I can put on my personal statement

Iv been reading extra materials on development economics (what I want to base my epq around), around 40 mins a day...I plan to add a couple chapters from 3 books in detail on there; how would I go about writing about these books as I don’t want to turn it into an essay analysing and stuff. The books I’m planning to put in are ‘why nations fail’, ‘development as freedom’ and ‘redistribution with growth; policies to improve income distribution’...Iv not read this book yet and if it is too complex, I’m planning to put in a bit about Joseph Schumpeter and the term he coined ‘creative destruction’. Also, possibly a chapter from ‘The Wealth Of Nations’ by Adam Smith.

Wow, there’s so many fascinating things I can write about which Iv read outside of my studies so I’m finding it extremely hard to cut down and mention a few in detail, without sounding like I haven’t looked outside of my economics subject.

Iv also taken AS Further maths for my a2 year next year and I did do an epq but I dropped it as I wanted to focus on revising for my core subjects to achieve all a stars and for my ecaa’s for Cambridge.

Iv also watched 2 podcasts about the unprecedented rate at which the earth is being degraded due to excessive human wants and put them in.

I’m currently planning on applying for Cambridge as a first choice as I will have the predicted grades and should achieve them, if I get rejected I’m planning on taking a gap year and reapplying. However if I get accepted to LSE and achieve my offer I’m most likely going to study there.
Have you read the very detailed information on the LSE website listing what they're looking for in a PS including recommended preliminary reading https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/U.../BSc-Economics

Cambridge also provide https://www.myheplus.com/post-16/subjects/economics in addition to the information on their website (remember to check out the department and college websites as well as the course pages). They also give a preliminary reading list http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/apply/ba-economics/how-apply as well as information on the ECAA exam which will have more impact than your PS on cambridge selection
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're right that your PS shouldn't sound like an essay. What you should be doing is talking about why what you've read was interesting
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (32)
23.02%
Less motivated (107)
76.98%

Watched Threads