S1M001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’m predicted D*D*D in business and was hoping to retake my maths this year and possibly get a 7. I know with hard work I can achieve the 7 and go from my current 4. My firm choice is UoB for econ and Insurance is queen mary for business. I wanted to try and go through clearing into a better uni like UCL and Warwick however my gcse is letting me down.

If you were in my position would you take a gap year and obtain the 7 in maths to go to a top uni or go to my firm choice and not waste a year?

Also the firm offer is conditional on me getting a 7 in my retakes however since they have been cancelled my admissions tutor in my sixth form said they might allow me to redo it in uni.

Honestly I’m not sure but I’m leaning more towards the gap year so I could hopefully studying business management at a top uni.

Any advice would be appreciated!
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by S1M001)
So I’m predicted D*D*D in business and was hoping to retake my maths this year and possibly get a 7. I know with hard work I can achieve the 7 and go from my current 4. My firm choice is UoB for econ and Insurance is queen mary for business. I wanted to try and go through clearing into a better uni like UCL and Warwick however my gcse is letting me down.

If you were in my position would you take a gap year and obtain the 7 in maths to go to a top uni or go to my firm choice and not waste a year?

Also the firm offer is conditional on me getting a 7 in my retakes however since they have been cancelled my admissions tutor in my sixth form said they might allow me to redo it in uni.

Honestly I’m not sure but I’m leaning more towards the gap year so I could hopefully studying business management at a top uni.

Have you had a look at the entrance requirements for Warwick or UCL? The students that joined last year had UCAS points of 189 for Warwick and 180 for UCL. You are expecting to get 112 UCAS points. I hate to burst your bubble but even with a 7 in your GCSE maths you will not get into Warwick or UCL. Accept the UoB place and enjoy.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're doing BTECs, right? How have you found them? I would highly encourage you to go wherever (top or mid-tier uni) that places emphasis on coursework (if you feel like that's what you excel in). Forget prestige; you won't do well if you play to your weakness (assuming it's tests considering you opted for BTECs instead).
S1M001
Rep:
?
(Original post by mike23mike)
Have you had a look at the entrance requirements for Warwick or UCL? The students that joined last year had UCAS points of 189 for Warwick and 180 for UCL. You are expecting to get 112 UCAS points. I hate to burst your bubble but even with a 7 in your GCSE maths you will not get into Warwick or UCL. Accept the UoB place and enjoy.
Maybe I made a mistake but I do the national extended diploma. I worked it out on the UCAS calculator and I should be at 160 points when UCL is asking for 148 points(AAA). I don’t think I’m being too ambitious as 2 BTEC students from the year above got into UCL IMB.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

you should email them and ask if they would consider an application from you baring in mind the gcse grade would be from a resit and then go from there.
S1M001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
You're doing BTECs, right? How have you found them? I would highly encourage you to go wherever (top or mid-tier uni) that places emphasis on coursework (if you feel like that's what you excel in). Forget prestige; you won't do well if you play to your weakness (assuming it's tests considering you opted for BTECs instead).
Yes I am doing BTEC however the course I am doing is 50% exams and 50% coursework. I think I’ve done quite well considering I’ve gotten a grade below the highest level. I have found them quite easy and wish I would’ve opted for A-levels, but at the time I wasn’t too informed on the options and just opted for what seemed easier. I’m just trying to make the most of the situation and trying to get in to the best uni for my career!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I thought you needed GCSE maths grade 7 for Economics at Birmingham too? It’s a good uni, I think I would just take their offer and move on with it tbh
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a difficult one. What if you take another year and dont get the grade 7. Are you sure the university will allow you to go to university reliant on a retake. My personal feeling is to take the offer if you can get in and have somewhere in mind in case the UOB wherever that is rejects you. I would be ringing that university to check the position re your Maths now rather than wait to see if they accept you or not. Please use proper names for universities. There are so many UOB Birmingham, Bath, Bournemouth, Bangor, Bradford. UOB means nothing and is useless.
S1M001
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I thought you needed GCSE maths grade 7 for Economics at Birmingham too? It’s a good uni, I think I would just take their offer and move on with it tbh
Yes you do and my offer was conditional on getting the 7 in maths however when my school cancelled the exams they said that Birmingham would most likely allow me to take it during uni. I contacted them to confirm and they said they will just keep me informed as the situation is developing. If they do allow me to retake whilst in uni I think I’d just accept the offer but if not then I’d take a gap year and redo my maths to strengthen my application.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes you do and my offer was conditional on getting the 7 in maths however when my school cancelled the exams they said that Birmingham would most likely allow me to take it during uni. I contacted them to confirm and they said they will just keep me informed as the situation is developing. If they do allow me to retake whilst in uni I think I’d just accept the offer but if not then I’d take a gap year and redo my maths to strengthen my application.
I think that sounds like a good plan although you might struggle with an Economics BSc with only a grade 4 in maths. Hopefully Birmingham would offer you extra support or another thing they could do is offer you an alternative course with a bit less maths in it like Business Management
S1M001
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I think that sounds like a good plan although you might struggle with an Economics BSc with only a grade 4 in maths. Hopefully Birmingham would offer you extra support or another thing they could do is offer you an alternative course with a bit less maths in it like Business Management
Yes I thought of that. That’s why I was considering taking a gap year and improving my maths and applying to a top business school. I mostly exceed the BTEC requirements for the universities I checked such as Bath, Bristol and more however my maths gcse is letting me down. Anyways thanks a lot for your advice !!
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes I thought of that. That’s why I was considering taking a gap year and improving my maths and applying to a top business school. I mostly exceed the BTEC requirements for the universities I checked such as Bath, Bristol and more however my maths gcse is letting me down. Anyways thanks a lot for your advice !!
You're welcome and yes to have D*D*D is brilliant - maths is a nuisance!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (9)
17.65%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (14)
27.45%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
5.88%
No, I haven't received any communication (25)
49.02%

Watched Threads