The Student Room Group

Warwick vs UofT vs HKU

Hi!
I am trying to make a decision between these 3 universities to study an undergraduate degree in business. I have created a pros and cons list but have still not figured it out.

hku pros:
1. in the middle in terms of ranking
2. is across the street from my house
3. very very cheap
4. job prospects are amazing and its hk, where i've grown up
5. the exchange program is quite a good experience because the uni is partnered with a lot of top schools.

hku cons:
1. there's no international exposure and i don't where i'd fit in with the other students
2. everyone is very smart so i could most likely be the dumbest person here
3. staying means living with my parents for 4 more years. i miss out on that independence and learning.

warwick pros:
1. wbs is well renowned and has gained a rep in the last couple of years
3. it gives me that international exposure with the people on campus as well as my study/work year abroad
4. ranking for business, it is up there
5. it is similar to the environment I'm used to given its British education
6. I will have my own room and will be away from my parents so independence is a given
7. there is a 2 year period where I can try and find jobs after graduation
9. Warwick is a target university for a lot of employers

warwick cons:
1. its international reputation is the lowest amongst all three (but close to the others) and is only well known in the business world/uk.
2. expensive (although money is not an issue)
3. i cannot acquire British citizenship while i study there
4. its quite secluded as a campus and will take me an extra 3 hours to get there after my flight

uoft pros:
1. its international reputation is the highest among the three. undergrad business school is quite good.
2. campus is smack dab in downtown toronto so the city element is still there
4. very international cohort and will go abroad for a semester
5. can acquire citizenship after a couple of years because studying counts towards it

uoft cons:
1. so expensive (again not too big an issue)
2. the grades, allegedly, get deflated
3. it is known to be notoriously hard

If anyone can give me any insight into how I can go about making this decision, please let me know! Also, if there are any students from these universities, please provide any information that can be helpful.

thank you!
Original post by happypotato321
Hi!
I am trying to make a decision between these 3 universities to study an undergraduate degree in business. I have created a pros and cons list but have still not figured it out.

hku pros:
1. in the middle in terms of ranking
2. is across the street from my house
3. very very cheap
4. job prospects are amazing and its hk, where i've grown up
5. the exchange program is quite a good experience because the uni is partnered with a lot of top schools.

hku cons:
1. there's no international exposure and i don't where i'd fit in with the other students
2. everyone is very smart so i could most likely be the dumbest person here
3. staying means living with my parents for 4 more years. i miss out on that independence and learning.

warwick pros:
1. wbs is well renowned and has gained a rep in the last couple of years
3. it gives me that international exposure with the people on campus as well as my study/work year abroad
4. ranking for business, it is up there
5. it is similar to the environment I'm used to given its British education
6. I will have my own room and will be away from my parents so independence is a given
7. there is a 2 year period where I can try and find jobs after graduation
9. Warwick is a target university for a lot of employers

warwick cons:
1. its international reputation is the lowest amongst all three (but close to the others) and is only well known in the business world/uk.
2. expensive (although money is not an issue)
3. i cannot acquire British citizenship while i study there
4. its quite secluded as a campus and will take me an extra 3 hours to get there after my flight

uoft pros:
1. its international reputation is the highest among the three. undergrad business school is quite good.
2. campus is smack dab in downtown toronto so the city element is still there
4. very international cohort and will go abroad for a semester
5. can acquire citizenship after a couple of years because studying counts towards it

uoft cons:
1. so expensive (again not too big an issue)
2. the grades, allegedly, get deflated
3. it is known to be notoriously hard

If anyone can give me any insight into how I can go about making this decision, please let me know! Also, if there are any students from these universities, please provide any information that can be helpful.

thank you!

I would really push rankings and reputation down the list of important things here. It's great that you're putting together this list though.

Your uoft cons seem a bit perplexing though. If you have the finance to cover it, then expense seems not to be an issue. Though if you'd prefer to save a bit by attending a cheaper institution then put that as a pro on the list of the others instead. :tongue:
Believing allegations of grade deflation (what is that supposed to mean by the way?) and it being "hard" isn't going to help you decide. All university work is hard. Hard is a subjective word. What's hard to me might be easy to you.

For HKU, there'll be worries about fitting in with other students wherever you go - it's not really something unique to HK. Stop comparing yourself to other people. :tongue: You are brilliant. As for job prospects, what would be the difference with you going to warwick or uoft and then returning to HK to get a job vs. going to HKU and then getting a job there. In terms of your chances does that change much? This is not something I know the answer to.

I think your Warwick points are fairly spot on (rankings don't matter though, forget them). :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
I would really push rankings and reputation down the list of important things here. It's great that you're putting together this list though.

Your uoft cons seem a bit perplexing though. If you have the finance to cover it, then expense seems not to be an issue. Though if you'd prefer to save a bit by attending a cheaper institution then put that as a pro on the list of the others instead. :tongue:
Believing allegations of grade deflation (what is that supposed to mean by the way?) and it being "hard" isn't going to help you decide. All university work is hard. Hard is a subjective word. What's hard to me might be easy to you.

For HKU, there'll be worries about fitting in with other students wherever you go - it's not really something unique to HK. Stop comparing yourself to other people. :tongue: You are brilliant. As for job prospects, what would be the difference with you going to warwick or uoft and then returning to HK to get a job vs. going to HKU and then getting a job there. In terms of your chances does that change much? This is not something I know the answer to.

I think your Warwick points are fairly spot on (rankings don't matter though, forget them). :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply! I will keep all of this information in mind :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending