GLewis01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A-Level student who finished last year, had a look this morning at clearing SQA/IB offers at Edinburgh and there doesn't seem to be anything up for Physics. Could this change for A-Level results day?

On another note, can anyone recommend any other Unis for Physics that may pop up in clearing? ABB with A in Maths, B in Physics.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GLewis01)
A-Level student who finished last year, had a look this morning at clearing SQA/IB offers at Edinburgh and there doesn't seem to be anything up for Physics. Could this change for A-Level results day?

On another note, can anyone recommend any other Unis for Physics that may pop up in clearing? ABB with A in Maths, B in Physics.
Don't count on it doing so. It might do, but it's very hard to know. There might also be a very limited number of spaces left and so they won't advertise it on clearing search, but if you ring up the spaces may be there. This is known as course-code-only clearing. It's fairly rare so don't rely on it either, but it's a possibility.

There are plenty of physics spots at lots of great unis. Have a look at some using UCAS search and then come back to this thread if you'd like help with comparing them / have more questions.
GLewis01
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Don't count on it doing so. It might do, but it's very hard to know. There might also be a very limited number of spaces left and so they won't advertise it on clearing search, but if you ring up the spaces may be there. This is known as course-code-only clearing. It's fairly rare so don't rely on it either, but it's a possibility.

There are plenty of physics spots at lots of great unis. Have a look at some using UCAS search and then come back to this thread if you'd like help with comparing them / have more questions.
Would it be worth ringing now or on results day?

I've got an offer from Exeter, BSc Mathematics and Physics but I've been going up to Edinburgh twice a year for the last 10 years and the Uni comes up higher in rankings so it would be a preferred choice.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Would it be worth ringing now or on results day?

I've got an offer from Exeter, BSc Mathematics and Physics but I've been going up to Edinburgh twice a year for the last 10 years and the Uni comes up higher in rankings so it would be a preferred choice.
If you're an A Level student then don't ring up until you have results because they're unlikely to tell you much.
If they told you they had a place available you could return to TSR, tell everybody, it builds traction in google and then they get 100 people ringing up for that one place - defeats the point of it being course-code-only.
Also please don't factor rankings into your choices. :hand:
GLewis01
Rep:
?
If you're an A Level student then don't ring up until you have results because they're unlikely to tell you much.
If they told you they had a place available you could return to TSR, tell everybody, it builds traction in google and then they get 100 people ringing up for that one place - defeats the point of it being course-code-only.
Also please don't factor rankings into your choices. :hand:
I've already got my results, sat them last year. Even in terms of the Uni itself, the city etc Exeter is fantastic but my preference would be Edinburgh.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've already got my results, sat them last year. Even in terms of the Uni itself, the city etc Exeter is fantastic but my preference would be Edinburgh.
If you have your results then ring up now. :yy:
Is your application pending anything?
GLewis01
Rep:
?
If you have your results then ring up now. :yy:
Is your application pending anything?
I still need to complete my UCAS - it has been a struggle getting hold of a reference from my college. Is it worth waiting until my UCAS is fully complete?

I would have applied earlier this year if I knew what was coming - up until a month ago I was a trainee airline pilot but my course has been cancelled leading me to consider uni as aviation is in huge decline right now.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I still need to complete my UCAS - it has been a struggle getting hold of a reference from my college. Is it worth waiting until my UCAS is fully complete?

I would have applied earlier this year if I knew what was coming - up until a month ago I was a trainee airline pilot but my course has been cancelled leading me to consider uni as aviation is in huge decline right now.
oh crikey I see

Complete everything on your UCAS today that you can. :yy: Badger someone from your college to write you a reference ASAP. Pull as many strings as you need to.

As soon as that's done, submit it and ring up. A university isn't going to be able to offer you something unless they can see you in the system with a clearing number etc.
GLewis01
Rep:
?
oh crikey I see

Complete everything on your UCAS today that you can. :yy: Badger someone from your college to write you a reference ASAP. Pull as many strings as you need to.

As soon as that's done, submit it and ring up. A university isn't going to be able to offer you something unless they can see you in the system with a clearing number etc.
Thanks very much for the advice. Last Q - who's the best person to ring? Department itself or will the uni have an enquiry number?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks very much for the advice. Last Q - who's the best person to ring? Department itself or will the uni have an enquiry number?
The uni will have a clearing number, ring the hotline. :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (11)
30.56%
Less motivated (25)
69.44%

Watched Threads