Can anyone offer their experience at getting DSA?

Watch this thread
sylviaplarth
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m hoping to go to uni next year- I have crohn’s disease (for anyone who doesn’t know it’s an inflammatory bowel disease that causes pretty much chronic loo issues, bleeding and pain haha) and I was hoping I could get DSA to cover the difference in cost between a communal bathroom flat & an ensuite flat. An en-suite really is a requirement for me and sharing a bathroom is just not an option- it’s not just me wanting my own loo at a discount I promise lol

Is this an unreasonable expectation? How was the process of getting DSA for you? Did you find it particularly hard or invasive?

Thanks in advance!!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sylviaplarth)
I’m hoping to go to uni next year- I have crohn’s disease (for anyone who doesn’t know it’s an inflammatory bowel disease that causes pretty much chronic loo issues, bleeding and pain haha) and I was hoping I could get DSA to cover the difference in cost between a communal bathroom flat & an ensuite flat. An en-suite really is a requirement for me and sharing a bathroom is just not an option- it’s not just me wanting my own loo at a discount I promise lol

Is this an unreasonable expectation? How was the process of getting DSA for you? Did you find it particularly hard or invasive?

Thanks in advance!!
I believe DSA got a bit stricter with regards to accommodation, it's best you talk it over with your needs assessor, the actual needs assessment isn't invasive at all.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sylviaplarth)

Thanks in advance!!
It's very difficult to get accommodation differences covered via DSA. My assessor said that I'd need my accommodation difference factored inas without ensuite, on campus, ground-floor, adapted accommodation I wouldn't be able to attend. SFE refused to do this, so I didn't get it covered by them. Instead my university stepped in and awarded me a non-standard award from their Access to Learning Fund and their Hardship fund (it changed names during my time at university, idk what it's called now), my support worker at university helped me apply for it each year. It's worth speaking with your prospective university's student support department about this and see what they can offer to help you. Will also say though that I was at university from 2013 to 2016 and I got this support from my university for my entire time there, but with SFE/DSA I expect it's gotten even stricter now.

Good luck.
oldagemedstudent
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi I recently had a DSA assessment for Crohns disease. They have suggested some software to help me on days when I am in pain and fatigued but also said they could help with the difference in costs between a standard room and ensuite (you would need to provide them with evidence of the room you would have picked that is a shared bathroom and then a similar spec room with ensuite).

The assessor was really friendly and thought of problems I wouldn't have so it's well worth doing.

I did need to get a letter of support from my GP which was about £25 but it was well worth it. Hope this helps.
sylviaplarth
Rep:
(Original post by claireestelle)
I believe DSA got a bit stricter with regards to accommodation, it's best you talk it over with your needs assessor, the actual needs assessment isn't invasive at all.
Thank you for the response!
sylviaplarth
Rep:
(Original post by Pathway)
It's very difficult to get accommodation differences covered via DSA. My assessor said that I'd need my accommodation difference factored inas without ensuite, on campus, ground-floor, adapted accommodation I wouldn't be able to attend. SFE refused to do this, so I didn't get it covered by them. Instead my university stepped in and awarded me a non-standard award from their Access to Learning Fund and their Hardship fund (it changed names during my time at university, idk what it's called now), my support worker at university helped me apply for it each year. It's worth speaking with your prospective university's student support department about this and see what they can offer to help you. Will also say though that I was at university from 2013 to 2016 and I got this support from my university for my entire time there, but with SFE/DSA I expect it's gotten even stricter now.

Good luck.
I'll definitely make sure I take it to the university's student support, thank you so much for the answer!
sylviaplarth
Rep:
(Original post by oldagemedstudent)
Hi I recently had a DSA assessment for Crohns disease. They have suggested some software to help me on days when I am in pain and fatigued but also said they could help with the difference in costs between a standard room and ensuite (you would need to provide them with evidence of the room you would have picked that is a shared bathroom and then a similar spec room with ensuite).

The assessor was really friendly and thought of problems I wouldn't have so it's well worth doing.

I did need to get a letter of support from my GP which was about £25 but it was well worth it. Hope this helps.
Ah that gives me some hope haha, thank you for the reply!
mumofthree123
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
Hi, I have Ulcerative colitis and cfs/me. Dsa have been amazing at helping me with all my concerns about starting university due to my medical conditions. Although I am not staying in accommodation, I have been awarded travel back and to university as well as all the software and special mentoring to help when I'm suffering with my fatigue. My son on the other hand has been awarded accommodation with an ensuite, due to him having OCD. All I would say is to start the process as soon as you can in order to secure a room. Dsa and your inclusion team are their to make your time at university as comfortable as possible. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (156)
40.73%
They're exactly what I expected (96)
25.07%