The Student Room Group

sqa 2020 results

anyone else been royally screwed over and somehow got worse grades than they did in the prelim?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chris05749
anyone else been royally screwed over and somehow got worse grades than they did in the prelim?

YES! I can name 2 of my highers that I was given worse grades than I got in the prelim. Which makes 0 sense, are they saying that I would do worse in the final exam than in the prelim. None of my results are a reflection of me, this is bs.
I know looking over twitter today lots of people seem very unhappy with their results. Have you been able to speak to your school yet about them and find out what's going on?

It may be possible to appeal?
yup, and now I've lost my uni place and idk what to do, this is great
Reply 4
Original post by SmithJohn123
YES! I can name 2 of my highers that I was given worse grades than I got in the prelim. Which makes 0 sense, are they saying that I would do worse in the final exam than in the prelim. None of my results are a reflection of me, this is bs.

literally same. i was given a b and a c when i should have had a's! apparently teachers on radio scotland were saying 95% of people's grades have been downgraded
Reply 5
Original post by AnnaDaria
yup, and now I've lost my uni place and idk what to do, this is great

oh god, you need to appeal! people going to uni are taking priority in terms of appeals so you definitely should :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Evil Homer
I know looking over twitter today lots of people seem very unhappy with their results. Have you been able to speak to your school yet about them and find out what's going on?

It may be possible to appeal?

it is possible thankfully. i'm mentally ill and had a very bad year last year but worked for an a in two of my subjects so it's incredibly discouraging. haven't seen anything on twitter but i can imagine how many people are mad! i'm appealing to the sqa through extenuating circumstances

Grades have to go through local and (national) standardisation, this means the percentage grades they give this year have to line up with last year. This can cause your grades to drop by two levels and seriously screws over students who go to an underperforming school, but who end up with good grades. Yh so blatant social discrimination is still alive and well.
oh god, you need to appeal! people going to uni are taking priority in terms of appeals so you definitely should :smile:

I've emailed my college teacher but he seems to be flipping asleep
Reply 9

brilliant, just what you need...

😂 on results day ?!?

Oh boy, you’re not the only one. Look at facebook and Twitter, you are not alone
Reply 12
Original post by Kubsyy
Oh boy, you’re not the only one. Look at facebook and Twitter, you are not alone

looked at twitter just now! absolutely mental. 95% of grades were downgraded which is insane. people are so mad
looked at twitter just now! absolutely mental. 95% of grades were downgraded which is insane. people are so mad

You should appeal.
Reply 14
Original post by Kubsyy
You should appeal.

yeah, i for sure am :smile:
literally same. i was given a b and a c when i should have had a's! apparently teachers on radio scotland were saying 95% of people's grades have been downgraded

25% of grades were adjusted from teacher estimates...And of them 93% went down :redface: Not saying it's great, but not quite as bad as that :redface:
yeah, i for sure am :smile:

You and the other 95% of Scotland 😭😭 Good Luck!!
Reply 17
Original post by Labrador99
25% of grades were adjusted from teacher estimates...And of them 93% went down :redface: Not saying it's great, but not quite as bad as that :redface:

ah that's a bit better! going by what my dad told me what he heard on the radio :smile:
Original post by bimbibap
Grades have to go through local and (national) standardisation, this means the percentage grades they give this year have to line up with last year. This can cause your grades to drop by two levels and seriously screws over students who go to an underperforming school, but who end up with good grades. Yh so blatant social discrimination is still alive and well.

So you're saying previous attainment plays a big role in the predicted results given out? This is honestly so annoying, personally my dreams have been shattered by these *****y predicted grades for subjects I haven't even sat an exam for. Can someone explain to me how to appeal and how the appeal works please.
Reply 19
So you're saying previous attainment plays a big role in the predicted results given out? This is honestly so annoying, personally my dreams have been shattered by these *****y predicted grades for subjects I haven't even sat an exam for. Can someone explain to me how to appeal and how the appeal works please.

You have to speak to your school/college about appealing the grades you are unhappy with and as i understand, they will review it and may give you a higher grade as long as you have evidence to support your appeal

Quick Reply