Turn on thread page Beta

I just don't know what do with myself! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was wondering if I could gather some thoughts on what u would do in my position.

I'm 22 almost 23. I started a new Job with large car manufacturer almost 6 months ago as a management accountant trainee (basically a four year programme incorporating CIMA). Prior to that I plied my trade as dodgy car salesman for just over three years. The motor trade link between the two is coincidental. I had great fun in sales, learnt a lot and earned a tidy wedge. Unfortunately the long hours, stress and limited opportunities not to mention the stigma didn't make it a good long term solution.

At school I got average grades I was a classic case of should and could have tried harder. I choose not to go to Uni as I thought while I undoubtedly have the ability I probably wouldn't apply myself there either. Hence I kind of fell into sale's since I didn’t really have a plan. Last Christmas I took a few months out snowboarding in Canada it gradually dawned on me that I needed a better long term career path. To that end when I got back I quickly applied and subsequently started my current job. To be honest (salesman’s favourite phrase) it all happened a bit quickly without giving the wider picture much thought.

I'm now in a bit of a quandary, I’m happy with my new career path that I’m on
    But the company doesn’t excite me; it’s lifeless with little or no energy. The structure makes you feel like your grinding to a halt instead of encouraging you to push as hard as possible to move up the ladder as fast as possible.
    I could take the grass is greener approach and embark on similar finance/accounting programme with one of the big 4. Hopefully they would provide a more inspiring climate to work in.
    My worry is that hypothetically if I took the latter route it could easily put me another year behind. As I’m now 23 I feel time is getting precious and it’s not there to waste anymore.

Am I better to jump ship now or sit it out with my current employer and see how it goes?

Thanks for reading and for your replies.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about what sort of entry routes there are into the big4 without a degree; the majority of trainees enter through graduate intake. You could try to move in as an experienced hire but I suspect they might expect you to already have a professional qualification.

So, in answer to your question - it's unlikely to be feasible to move at present. Qualify and then reappraise the situation. Either that or see if any other CIMA accredited employers may offer to take your training contract.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    In complete contradiction, to what I just said, it does seem to be possible:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=572920

ReputationRep:
    Big4 take alevel trainees but even then ud need AAA and wouldnt be guarenteed a place, once youv completed the cima there might be a chance to move to big4 but im not certain, an ACCA would have been better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    Big4 take alevel trainees but even then ud need AAA and wouldnt be guarenteed a place, once youv completed the cima there might be a chance to move to big4 but im not certain, an ACCA would have been better.
    Actually the entry requirements are more like BBB (or 300 ucas points), some are even 280.

ReputationRep:
    I'm ok where entry requirements are concerned. I've been and checked them out. Is anyone on one of these programmes? i'd like to know how hard they push you is there scope to progress at your own pace i.e. faster, pay structure etc. I like the sound of KPMG and the headstart PWC options although the latter doesnt seem to have any places available until the 12th of never.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2008
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.