The Student Room Group

STEP 2 Calculus module Q2

2006 S2 Q4
For the intro it says show that
integral(xf(sinx)dx = pi/2*integral(f(sinx)dx
upper limit = pi, lower limit = 0 on both integrals.
hint says you can do this by using a substitution x=pi - t and then proceeds by swapping the t for x.

But then we would get pi = 0 which is nonsense?
I don't get these substitutions?
Reply 1
Original post by asianism
2006 S2 Q4
hint says you can do this by using a substitution x=pi - t and then proceeds by swapping the t for x.

How do you get pi=0?
2006 S2 Q4

0πxf(sinx) dx=π0(πt)f(sin[πt]) dt=π0πf(sint) dt0πtf(sint) dt\begin{aligned} \int_0^{\pi} x f(\sin x) \ dx & = -\int_{\pi}^{0} (\pi - t) f(\sin [\pi - t]) \ dt \\[0.3cm] & = \pi \int_0^{\pi} f(\sin t) \ dt - \int_0^\pi tf(\sin t) \ dt \end{aligned}

Since tt is a dummy variable we can replace it with xx. Another way to think about it is that the two integrals on the RHS are in terms of tt but if we replace it with xx then the values of the integrals will not change! Since they are definite integrals, we say that the tt 'integrates out' because it goes away at the end of process (i.e. you replace it with limits!) which means the tt doesn't stick around and we can replace it with any other variable while maintaining the value of the integral.

Anyway, we get

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi} x f(\sin x) \ dx = \pi \int_0^{\pi} f(\sin x) \ dx - \int_0^\pi xf(\sin x) \ dx \end{aligned}

from which point onward the final result is obtained via rearrangement.
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
0πxf(sinx) dx=π0(πt)f(sin[πt]) dt=π0πf(sint) dt0πtf(sint) dt\begin{aligned} \int_0^{\pi} x f(\sin x) \ dx & = -\int_{\pi}^{0} (\pi - t) f(\sin [\pi - t]) \ dt \\[0.3cm] & = \pi \int_0^{\pi} f(\sin t) \ dt - \int_0^\pi tf(\sin t) \ dt \end{aligned}

Since tt is a dummy variable we can replace it with xx. Another way to think about it is that the two integrals on the RHS are in terms of tt but if we replace it with xx then the values of the integrals will not change! Since they are definite integrals, we say that the tt 'integrates out' because it goes away at the end of process (i.e. you replace it with limits!) which means the tt doesn't stick around and we can replace it with any other variable while maintaining the value of the integral.

Anyway, we get

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi} x f(\sin x) \ dx = \pi \int_0^{\pi} f(\sin x) \ dx - \int_0^\pi xf(\sin x) \ dx \end{aligned}

from which point onward the final result is obtained via rearrangement.

So if they are indefinite integrals can I still do the substitution exchange
So if they are indefinite integrals can I still do the substitution exchange

Sometimes; you just need to be careful as to not confuse yourself.

It's very easy to use the substitution u=x2u=x^2 and get

2x3dx=udu=xdx\displaystyle \int 2x^3 dx = \int u du = \int x dx

which is not correct. In different contexts, you may find it simpler to just talk about u du\int u \ du as x dx\int x \ dx.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest