mhenley98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hello everyone,

I understand that this thread is for teachers, trainees and NQTs and do this may not be the best place for my question since I’m only just about to apply for teacher training, but it’s current trainees’/teachers’ advice that I’m looking for so here goes!

I’m studying Mathematics at the University of Birmingham and am due to graduate in July 2021. I’m hoping to start teacher training in September 2021 but am struggling to decide between providers, although I feel that I’m pretty valued up on the pros and cons of each...

I’ve just been offered a place on the Teach First training programme after being assessed on a 3-day online event that replaced a weeks internship that was cancelled. I originally applied for the internship to get some school experience whilst being paid, not because I wanted to join Teach First. As I’m sure you all know, TF work in more challenging schools, and although I’ve been told this is more rewarding, it wasn’t something I was keen to do when I could train in a more pleasant school. However, I’ve been told that TF offer lots of support, including when it comes to seeking leadership positions which is what I would want to do. They also have great links with other employers in different industries and run paid summer projects with these companies. Then of course, you get a pretty standard salary whilst training and don’t have to pay tuition fees for your training. The qualification you get is a PGDE - if you wish to carry on and finish the Masters, TF subsidise this for you. One other disadvantage to TF is that you could really be placed anywhere in the region you select.

The other training option I’m considering is training at a SCITT. The reason I am considering a SCITT is because I would like to train more in a school than at university, and obviously Teach First would allow me to do this as well. This way I would also get a PGDE which I could then convert into a Masters, but I would have to take out tuition fee loans for all of this. Having said that, I would likely get a tax free bursary of £26k in my training year as well as bonuses of £2k for the first three years if I stay in teaching. I would also be in a less challenging school, and could guarantee being more local.

I’ve asked two friends who’ve done one year on the TF training programme about their experiences and they’ve both been very positive about it. I’m interested to hear thoughts from anyone - trainees, experienced teachers, anyone!

Thank you in advance for your help!
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by mhenley98)
Hello everyone,

I understand that this thread is for teachers, trainees and NQTs and do this may not be the best place for my question since I’m only just about to apply for teacher training, but it’s current trainees’/teachers’ advice that I’m looking for so here goes!

I’m studying Mathematics at the University of Birmingham and am due to graduate in July 2021. I’m hoping to start teacher training in September 2021 but am struggling to decide between providers, although I feel that I’m pretty valued up on the pros and cons of each...

I’ve just been offered a place on the Teach First training programme after being assessed on a 3-day online event that replaced a weeks internship that was cancelled. I originally applied for the internship to get some school experience whilst being paid, not because I wanted to join Teach First. As I’m sure you all know, TF work in more challenging schools, and although I’ve been told this is more rewarding, it wasn’t something I was keen to do when I could train in a more pleasant school. However, I’ve been told that TF offer lots of support, including when it comes to seeking leadership positions which is what I would want to do. They also have great links with other employers in different industries and run paid summer projects with these companies. Then of course, you get a pretty standard salary whilst training and don’t have to pay tuition fees for your training. The qualification you get is a PGDE - if you wish to carry on and finish the Masters, TF subsidise this for you. One other disadvantage to TF is that you could really be placed anywhere in the region you select.

The other training option I’m considering is training at a SCITT. The reason I am considering a SCITT is because I would like to train more in a school than at university, and obviously Teach First would allow me to do this as well. This way I would also get a PGDE which I could then convert into a Masters, but I would have to take out tuition fee loans for all of this. Having said that, I would likely get a tax free bursary of £26k in my training year as well as bonuses of £2k for the first three years if I stay in teaching. I would also be in a less challenging school, and could guarantee being more local.

I’ve asked two friends who’ve done one year on the TF training programme about their experiences and they’ve both been very positive about it. I’m interested to hear thoughts from anyone - trainees, experienced teachers, anyone!

I also did a maths degree, and was in a similar position of wanting a course where I'd spend more time in school than at uni.

I ended up doing a SCITT, and I really wouldn't change that decision. I feel like having placements in Good/Outstanding schools meant that the general atmosphere was a bit more positive - which helped because the training year itself is quite overwhelming and stressful at times. One of the nice things about SCITT programmes is that you are in school from the start, but you begin by just observing. I feel like my ideas of teaching going in were changed drastically in those first two weeks just by getting to see how teachers did it.

I don't have any personal experience of TeachFirst, so I can't speak from that. However, I do think that diving in and teaching so much from the start would have been very challenging not only because of the workload, but because of the reduced opportunity to observe other teachers teaching. Those observations really shaped my practice, and it was especially helpful starting out to be able to observe a class for a while before teaching them, because I didn't have to come up with my own behaviour management strategies from Day 1, I could just co-opt what the previous teacher had been using. Then, as I became more confident, in my later placements I could jump in with classes earlier and use my own strategies.

Also, not sure about other SCITTs, but the one I was on involved courses at the university that could later be used as credits for a masters if you wanted to pursue that. It's not subsidised though, so I suppose that's a downside (only the PGCert part is paid for with your tuition fees)

Edit: I should add as well, with maths, money really wasn't such an issue. I was easily able to save half of the bursary money. So I wouldn't let being paid vs getting the bursary play a huge role in your decision making. Nobody I know who trained in maths had to worry a great deal about money during training.
Last edited by bluebeetle; 10 months ago
L-K
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hello everyone,

I did neither of these options as I did a PGCE. It worked for me as I was relatively inexperienced in schools and I had only done a 3 week placement in a school previously. I liked the course structure as we had a week completely in uni first, then a couple of weeks part in uni and part at your first placement, then in school only until Christmas, with the same structure again in January. Don't underestimate how useful time actually learning in university will be, there is a whole lot of excellent educational research and theories that are really important to your teaching practice. If you do schools based training, your development relies hugely on the school or academy chain and if they support a particular pedagogical theory your development may be restricted to that. If working in challenging school puts you off teach first, then bare in mind that you don't chose your school placement on many of the options and you will have behaviour problems and challenges no matter where you go. In fact, it is important that you do come across these issues during your training as that is how you get better at dealing with them.
I have heard good and bad things about all routes into teaching! As long as you are open minded and prepared to work harder than you have ever worked before, you will be fine!
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hello everyone,

Hello mhenley98

Please do NOT choose your teacher training course provider by 'route'. This term only refers to how the DfE allocate places to individual institutions and which institution accredited the course and recommends you for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). There will be two (actually many more!) providers on the same 'route' that will deliver you very different experiences.

Rather, you need to be exceptionally clear on your drive to becoming a teacher. What is your motivating factors, what kind of career do you want and in what type of schools? Once you know this, you'll be able to question the local teacher training course providers local to you the following questions (among others that will be pertinent to you.) -

- Does the course offer a PGCE in addition to QTS? If so, what are the assignments and deadlines for them?
- When does the course start and finish?
- Who would be my mentor during my course? How often will they be available to me? How experienced are they?
- How long am I on each teaching practice and where are they likely to be?
- What opportunities will there to be to work with children with Special Educational Needs or Disability, English as an Additional Language or those who are Gifted and Talented?
- What opportunities will there be to participate in extra-curricular activities?
- Will you be required to attend a University setting, if so, how often and when?
- How many other students will be on the course?
- What will the expectations for meetings/INSET be?

If, like me, your driving factor to become a teacher was to work with children with additional needs, then you need to find a provider that will allow you to have a significant experience of this. I sourced a provider that allowed me to do one of my teaching practice placements in a mainstream school with a hearing impairment unit within it. I dare say your reasons for getting into teaching differ to mine, and so you need to find the right place for you!

Unfortunately, using other peoples experiences is seldom helpful as their motivations differ to yours and they will only have experience on one training provider.

Get into Teaching are supporting those looking to apply for 2021. We are fully qualified and experienced teachers, as well as experts in the application process. Register for that support here!

Wishing you all the best!

Jane
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (119)
27.11%
England (156)
35.54%
Belgium (33)
7.52%
Germany (43)
9.79%
Spain (10)
2.28%