Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Has anyone here commuted or is planning to commute from London to Reading University? How much are the travel costs roughly? I really want to go there but the money aspect is really off-putting. (And no, I do not want to live on campus or move out. I like my home )
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Has anyone here commuted or is planning to commute from London to Reading University? How much are the travel costs roughly? I really want to go there but the money aspect is really off-putting. (And no, I do not want to live on campus or move out. I like my home )
Cant you just work the cost of a daily commute out from somewhere like the trainline.com?
Factor in things like Oyster card and Rail card?
Work out when and how many times a week you need to be in?

Have you worked out how long it takes?
London is a big place and you give no indication where you are.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just read this and thought Crossrail, which could be quite handy for you (branded TfL Rail for now) also GWR, but honestly £24 (£10 off peak more reasonable but not always possible) each way isnt really sustainable for most students but depends on you, how much you are prepared to spend and if you are within easy reach of a station...

50 minutes by TfL rail or 20 min direct using GWR from London Paddington.... don't think you can use Oyster but contactless works

Use Trainline and the TfL fare finder to find out more imo
Last edited by BlueIndigoViolet; 1 year ago
Carolin4200
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i went to the open day and from NW London to Reading uni it was like 2-3 hours i think and the train from paddington station to reading costed £22 but plus TFL it’ll probs come up to like £30. it’s quite a bit so i’m planning to stay on campus
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
i went for the open day and from NW London to reading uni it was like 2-3 hours and the train from paddington station to Reading station was like £22 but plus TFL it’ll probs come up to around £30. it was quite a bit so i decided to stay on campus & it’s my firm choice
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey Anonymous,

I haven't commuted from London to Reading myself. I know many people that have and found it worked well for them and with the maintenance loan I believe it's affordable. I'm not really sure where from London you're commuting from but when you put in any stations in London to Reading a weekly pass costs around £118.60. You might find it cheaper if you're able to specify exactly where you're coming and going from.

Sorry, I couldn't be of any more help and let me know if you have any other questions! 😊
From,

Amina
Zuzyta
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I commuted to Reading for my first two years. Although it was from Slough the commute isnt bad, you can get a direct service from Paddington to Reading and then catch the bus from the station to the Uni. In terms of costs, its not drastic either. I managed to save a lot of money in my first year becasue I commuted and lived at home. I recomend getting a Railcard beacuse it helps cut down costs alot (from Paddington to Reading it helps save you almost a tenner). However, your costs will really depends on how often you're travelling and what times. When I had 9am lectures I had to catch the peak time trains and the Railcard didn't cover them so I had to pay full cost. I also recomend alwasy buying return tickets becasue it comes of a hell of lot cheaper than buying seperate tickets, even if you decide to stay at a friends place after Union or somehting. Im more than happy to help with any other commuting things
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

Lots of students commute from London to Reading, for many reasons. It is definitely doable if that’s what you would like to do.

Do research into season tickets, rail cards, vouchers etc. The bus service in Reading when you get to the station is brilliant! There’s several buses which will get you right into campus from outside the station, but also several other buses that will get you on the outside of different parts of campus. Depends where your lecture is and what’s easier really.

The buses do a student rate and also offer various passes/ buying tickets in bulk type things. Eg buy 10 tickets and get 11 or something like that. So there is lots of options.

Hope this helps, let me know if there’s anything else I can help with

Ellen
Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's worrying you most about starting back at school/college this year?

The potential for Covid to keep disrupting things (111)
14.61%
My mental health (111)
14.61%
Feeling behind academically (143)
18.82%
Making friends/social anxiety (137)
18.03%
How to organise myself (25)
3.29%
How to revise/study effectively (90)
11.84%
Future career, uni, pathway planning and applications (128)
16.84%
Something else - let us know in the thread (15)
1.97%

Watched Threads