General advice + tips for new year 11s????

Watch
aaa24
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone I saw a similar thread for advice you wish you knew when starting year 12 so I thought I would ask for us year 10s moving to year 11
So what advice would you guys give to your younger-self???
hwaqas04
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ok so I've just finished y11 eventhough I didn't do my exams but I do have some tips for you. One of my biggest regrets during my GCSE's was not understanding as we went along and leaving things for later. The ONE thing I reccomend is make sure u understand, just understand the content becuase its gonna become really difficult later. also dont focus on aestehtics and pretty notes just be efficient and dont waste time on things like that. I typed up these summary notes which were really helpful so I'd condense a chapter in my textbook eg bio into like 2 pages- i wouldn't write everything on these condensed notes only things i was unsure or kept forgetting- no point writing the definition of diffusion if you already know it u know. exam papers ARE A MUST- maybe the most important part of revision- i wish i started earlier with these but theres lot of q on physics and maths tutor topic specific and it would help a lot to go through them. finally TRY for ur mocks- it will help not only with lessening the amount of revision to do in march but also realistically show you ur weak points.

I have a bunch of tips but most are subject specific so if u have any q u can ask me. btw i did math eng triple science geo history and business.
aaa24
Rep:
?
(Original post by hwaqas04)
Ok so I've just finished y11 eventhough I didn't do my exams but I do have some tips for you. One of my biggest regrets during my GCSE's was not understanding as we went along and leaving things for later. The ONE thing I reccomend is make sure u understand, just understand the content becuase its gonna become really difficult later. also dont focus on aestehtics and pretty notes just be efficient and dont waste time on things like that. I typed up these summary notes which were really helpful so I'd condense a chapter in my textbook eg bio into like 2 pages- i wouldn't write everything on these condensed notes only things i was unsure or kept forgetting- no point writing the definition of diffusion if you already know it u know. exam papers ARE A MUST- maybe the most important part of revision- i wish i started earlier with these but theres lot of q on physics and maths tutor topic specific and it would help a lot to go through them. finally TRY for ur mocks- it will help not only with lessening the amount of revision to do in march but also realistically show you ur weak points.

I have a bunch of tips but most are subject specific so if u have any q u can ask me. btw i did math eng triple science geo history and business.
Thanks - Tips for english, maths, sciences and geo plz???
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Make sure you fully understand what you've learned each lesson, and make revision sheets at the end of each week for the lessons you've had. That way, revision will be much easier when you come to it later.
cloud_9_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aaa24)
cant give advice for geo and English cos i never did geo and i was **** at english

so for maths i'd say make a list of all the topics u struggle with and focus on those topics till u cant get an answer wrong on them and try to understand the method used to get answers instead of just memorising it

for sciences u should go thru the whole specification one by one(it seems long but its better than missing out important info that your teachers and textbooks miss out). Use Flashcards,and spaced repetition to try memorise what u need to know. I used Anki which is a flashcard app which helped me a lot. Also try to enjoy and be interested in the sciences and any subject really as you're more likely to do better in subjects u enjoy
hwaqas04
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aaa24)
English lang: do as much practice q as possible with eng lang you can't revise really(maybe the different techniques ig but you probably know those). ask your teacher for exam style q and do them in timed conditions. really focus on the mark scheme and what the examiners are looking for. also u can ask ur teacher to help u with the structure of q.

Eng lit: know ur story- read it well. to get the best marks you need a good personal response- what you think of the book, why you think the writer does certian things in the book etc. looking at major themes and making rough essay plans can be really useful. and id say like take key quotes around 6 for each theme and analyse them and link them to the theme. also try and find quotes which have multiple themes and link themes. context is very important in lit too so focus on that. and exam papers. do lots of essay questions and ask ur teacher to mark- if u got lets say 17/20 ask how to bump it to a 18,19 and so on.

Maths: if ur school has mathswatch use it its soooo helpful. if not corbett maths is good too. so watch the videos on a topic then practice. to succeed in maths practice is the most crucial thing. you may know a topic but often questions are twisted so knowing different question types really helps. i like this website called mathsgenie it has exam questions ordered by topic(its for edexcel btw)

sciences: freesciencelessons is amazinggg. he is mainly for the aqa spec but the information for the exam boards is pretty similar. make sure you are always referencing the spec and know everything the spec says. quizlet is good for definitons and processes. seneca is good if you really strugle to understand something. and again exam q. look at the mark scheme and see what words are being used, mark schemes are very specific so you need to focus on using the right terminology.
https://chemrevise.org/
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/

cgp guides are pretty good too.

geo: learn different processes- make flashcards. things like processes eg formation of a spit- u just need to know like u need to memorise that stuff. and like what helped me was diagrams- it helps to visualise. for human id say go beyond the textbook a bit and do a lil of ur own research and find relevant facts. using like statisitics in ur answers helps a lot. again for the questions look at the mark scheme to see how u can get marks of course.

if u have any q or are unsure just ask
hwaqas04
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
English lang: do as much practice q as possible with eng lang you can't revise really(maybe the different techniques ig but you probably know those). ask your teacher for exam style q and do them in timed conditions. really focus on the mark scheme and what the examiners are looking for. also u can ask ur teacher to help u with the structure of q.

Eng lit: know ur story- read it well. to get the best marks you need a good personal response- what you think of the book, why you think the writer does certian things in the book etc. looking at major themes and making rough essay plans can be really useful. and id say like take key quotes around 6 for each theme and analyse them and link them to the theme. also try and find quotes which have multiple themes and link themes. context is very important in lit too so focus on that. and exam papers. do lots of essay questions and ask ur teacher to mark- if u got lets say 17/20 ask how to bump it to a 18,19 and so on.

Maths: if ur school has mathswatch use it its soooo helpful. if not corbett maths is good too. so watch the videos on a topic then practice. to succeed in maths practice is the most crucial thing. you may know a topic but often questions are twisted so knowing different question types really helps. i like this website called mathsgenie it has exam questions ordered by topic(its for edexcel btw)

sciences: freesciencelessons is amazinggg. he is mainly for the aqa spec but the information for the exam boards is pretty similar. make sure you are always referencing the spec and know everything the spec says. quizlet is good for definitons and processes. seneca is good if you really strugle to understand something. and again exam q. look at the mark scheme and see what words are being used, mark schemes are very specific so you need to focus on using the right terminology.

geo: learn different processes- make flashcards. things like processes eg formation of a spit- u just need to know like u need to memorise that stuff. and like what helped me was diagrams- it helps to visualise. for human id say go beyond the textbook a bit and do a lil of ur own research and find relevant facts. using like statisitics in ur answers helps a lot. again for the questions look at the mark scheme to see how u can get marks of course.

https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html
https://www.internetgeography.net/gc...aphy-revision/

some more websites.

also forgot to mention- EXAMINER REPORTS are amazing for geo and eng to see how to structure ur answer and stuff
aaa24
Rep:
?

thank you so much!!!
hwaqas04
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aaa24)
thank you so much!!!
np. good luck with your studies!!
Cherrygrape1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Which geo textbook would you recommend?
X.243llie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
Make sure you fully understand what you've learned each lesson, and make revision sheets at the end of each week for the lessons you've had. That way, revision will be much easier when you come to it later.
thanks i never thought of making revisiom sheets at the end of the week. cos om a sunday i always go back thru the weeks work just to underline and highlight cos i dont bother with doing that in class cos u dont get the time. but i didnt think of that thanks
X.243llie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
also ik im going into yr11 this yr to but i recommend using hegarty maths if ur skl has it cos its brilliant , like the videos hv helped me understand maths that i didnt understand or only half understood in lesson and u can redo the quizes as many times as u like.
kerboodle if ur skl has it is awesome cos its free textbooks online (aqa) and theres podcasts and lessons as well and im still finding stuff on there that i dodnt know about.
history practice the questions like constantly cos once u nail the structure all u got is to remember the stuff and thats relatively easy and ull never ever struggle with histiry again.
idk bout ppl who hv already dine yr11 but i make flashcards for every topic i do now and im going to make flashcards for the topics ive already done as well and i prefer to buy flashcards and write it out cos u remember it more writing it.
lulumillie02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cherrygrape1234)
Like above, I don't know if your school has Kerboodle but if you are studying AQA Geography then these textbooks are really good.
BTW, one of them is quite expensive but is the one mainly used in class if studying the AQA Course, it is also the one on Kerboodle. I have added an exam practice workbook too as it is really useful and accompanies the revision guide really well.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Geogra...6634972&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-9-1-Ge...635011&sr=8-12

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-9-1-Ge...s%2C170&sr=8-1

Just to say if you want a blank 'revision guide' to fill in with questions on Paper 1 topics, then please let me know as I can attach this, it is also my geography summer homework so it may be useful to you no matter what exam board you are on. If you are doing AQA it is Paper 1, Physical Geography.

https://padlet.com/lulumillie02/ii46xavs3npvyytt
The Booklet is on my Padlet here btw because it is too big of a file for an attachment, I will add more resources for different subjects too so feel free to use any you want/like.
Last edited by lulumillie02; 1 month ago
hwaqas04
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Our school used https://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolle...aphyA2016.aspx this one and its pretty good. But if you want a grade8/9 i would reccomend you guys do some of ur own research(for case studies and stuff). for processes and things the book is great. My friend had the cgp revision guide too and that's really good. And make sure you are always referencing the spec so you don't miss anything.
Cherrygrape1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lulumillie02)
Like above, I don't know if your school has Kerboodle but if you are studying AQA Geography then these textbooks are really good.
BTW, one of them is quite expensive but is the one mainly used in class if studying the AQA Course, it is also the one on Kerboodle. I have added an exam practice workbook too as it is really useful and accompanies the revision guide really well.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Geogra...6634972&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-9-1-Ge...635011&sr=8-12

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-9-1-Ge...s%2C170&sr=8-1

Just to say if you want a blank 'revision guide' to fill in with questions on Paper 1 topics, then please let me know as I can attach this, it is also my geography summer homework so it may be useful to you no matter what exam board you are on. If you are doing AQA it is Paper 1, Physical Geography.
Thank you for this! What it is difference between the textbook and revision guide?

Also what do you mean by a blank revision guide-is the one attached second hand?
Nosa14
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Tips for all of those except business pleaseee
hwaqas04
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for this! What it is difference between the textbook and revision guide?

Also what do you mean by a blank revision guide-is the one attached second hand?
A textbook is more detailed, usually has lots of examples and is good if your learning a concept for the first time. Revision guides are better as a 2nd resource for example when revising for a test to freshen your memory- they are more condensed.
Cherrygrape1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A textbook is more detailed, usually has lots of examples and is good if your learning a concept for the first time. Revision guides are better as a 2nd resource for example when revising for a test to freshen your memory- they are more condensed.
Ok thank you
hwaqas04
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nosa14)
Tips for all of those except business pleaseee
So I gave all my tips above for the other subs. I didn't mention history so I'll mention it here. So for history its really important to know your dates. There are some key events that dates are really important for(depends on which module ur doing for me cold war had lots of important events and dates were a must). Also with history the exam technique is v.important. the only way u can get good at it is by practice as well as going through examiner reports. so after you do an exam q find the examiner report for that q and see what is required to get band 1, 2, 3,4- mark yours accordingly. Also in the examiner reports, often there are many tips the examiners give which are really useful. For revision id say to make condensed notes/flashcards as history is very content heavy. so look at ur textbook and make notes(but as condensed as possible- so if u know something really well don't write it down). I don't know how to explain how I condensed my notes but I'll give an example(my notes on the kapp putsch- as u can see i dont really focus on any grammar- its summarised so it doesn't matter here also i use abbreviations to shorten it)

Spoiler:
Show
The Kapp Putsch:
Weimar gov announced measures to reduce size of army + disband Freikorps, there was an uproar in Berlin - leader of Freikorps, Ehrhardt refused to comply
Together w/ leading Berlin politician Wolfgang Kapp, a plan was drawn to seize Berlin and form a new right-wing gov w/ Kapp as Chancellor
Kapp stressed communist threat, Dolchstoss theory and severity of TOV - Reichswehr in berlin, commanded by General Luttwitz supported Ehrhardt + Kapp
Following Kapp’s successful seizure of Berlin om 13 March 1920, Weimar gov. Moved to Dresden then Stuttgart - new regular army asked to put down Kapp Putsch, Commander-in-Chief said ‘Reichswehr does not fire on Reichswehr’
Ebert + Scheidemann asked people of Berlin not to support Kapp Putsch. Trade unionists + civil servants supported gov and because of little support, Putsch collapsed - very few officers punished

With history timelines are also great to understand the order of events aswell.
Lala143
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does anyone have any advice for media?
I've begun my coursework but for the actual thing I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (9)
17.31%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (14)
26.92%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
5.77%
No, I haven't received any communication (26)
50%

Watched Threads