The Student Room Group

General advice + tips for new year 11s????

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hwaqas04
Ok so I've just finished y11 eventhough I didn't do my exams but I do have some tips for you. One of my biggest regrets during my GCSE's was not understanding as we went along and leaving things for later. The ONE thing I reccomend is make sure u understand, just understand the content becuase its gonna become really difficult later. also dont focus on aestehtics and pretty notes just be efficient and dont waste time on things like that. I typed up these summary notes which were really helpful so I'd condense a chapter in my textbook eg bio into like 2 pages- i wouldn't write everything on these condensed notes only things i was unsure or kept forgetting- no point writing the definition of diffusion if you already know it u know. exam papers ARE A MUST- maybe the most important part of revision- i wish i started earlier with these but theres lot of q on physics and maths tutor topic specific and it would help a lot to go through them. finally TRY for ur mocks- it will help not only with lessening the amount of revision to do in march but also realistically show you ur weak points.

I have a bunch of tips but most are subject specific so if u have any q u can ask me. btw i did math eng triple science geo history and business.

Could I ask how much did you revise in the year 10 summer before yr 11
Reply 21
Hi i was also wondering if anyone else is doing DT (aqa) - any tips for revision and coursework??? thanks :smile:
Original post by Cherrygrape1234
Thank you for this! What it is difference between the textbook and revision guide?

Also what do you mean by a blank revision guide-is the one attached second hand? :smile:

No problem. :smile:
I have put a link for the blank revision guide which you can either print off or work on online. I couldn't attach it here because the file was too big, just to let you know I will add more resources on their for different subjects too so feel free to use any you need/like.
The difference between the textbook and the revision guide is that the textbook is bigger like the one used in school, it covers lots of questions, and is mainly used in order if you get what I mean, and the revision guide is smaller, and I don't think it goes in as much depth and covers all the topics greatly. The revision guide is more of a use at home and the Exam practice workbook accompanies that.
Personally, I know it's more expensive but I bought the Textbook, as I prefer it and for example in class if we are using that book for a lesson, when I get home I can just brush up some knowledge with the same book used in school, which I would find useful.
But it does depend on you as well, I mean the textbook is available in Kerboodle but I like a paper copy so I can take it anywhere and I wouldn't have to use the computer as much, you know distractions :biggrin:
Anyway I hope this helped and I hope you like my Padlet full of resources.
does anyone else hv a mum like me who wont tell u what medical conditions u hv only symptoms and u search it up and nothing ever matches up. like im going into yr11 and i want to know what medical conditions i hv so i know when im hvin an off day and what i can do to fix that rather then say takin a day of.like i know i hv problems with my hormones but idk what just that i take norethisterone 3x. and i know that when i was younger i had mild hearing loss cos i remember going to ear ppl regularly in yr2 and 3 but my mum said i grew out of it like as far as im aware u cant grow out of hearing loss. and its things like that and my hormone condition that if i knew what it was i could prepare myself ,bring certain over the counter meds or with hearing i could ask to specifically sit at the front fir example and that could make a massive difference in learning. but i just wondering if anyome else has the sm problem like i love my mum shes great and my dad knowd nothing of my medical history trust me. but i feel like shes hiding it from me cos maybe its something bad or she thinks im fine idk
Reply 24
Original post by hwaqas04
So I gave all my tips above for the other subs. I didn't mention history so I'll mention it here. So for history its really important to know your dates. There are some key events that dates are really important for(depends on which module ur doing for me cold war had lots of important events and dates were a must). Also with history the exam technique is v.important. the only way u can get good at it is by practice as well as going through examiner reports. so after you do an exam q find the examiner report for that q and see what is required to get band 1, 2, 3,4- mark yours accordingly. Also in the examiner reports, often there are many tips the examiners give which are really useful. For revision id say to make condensed notes/flashcards as history is very content heavy. so look at ur textbook and make notes(but as condensed as possible- so if u know something really well don't write it down). I don't know how to explain how I condensed my notes but I'll give an example(my notes on the kapp putsch- as u can see i dont really focus on any grammar- its summarised so it doesn't matter here also i use abbreviations to shorten it)

Spoiler

With history timelines are also great to understand the order of events aswell.

thank you sm
Reply 25
Original post by X.243llie
does anyone else hv a mum like me who wont tell u what medical conditions u hv only symptoms and u search it up and nothing ever matches up. like im going into yr11 and i want to know what medical conditions i hv so i know when im hvin an off day and what i can do to fix that rather then say takin a day of.like i know i hv problems with my hormones but idk what just that i take norethisterone 3x. and i know that when i was younger i had mild hearing loss cos i remember going to ear ppl regularly in yr2 and 3 but my mum said i grew out of it like as far as im aware u cant grow out of hearing loss. and its things like that and my hormone condition that if i knew what it was i could prepare myself ,bring certain over the counter meds or with hearing i could ask to specifically sit at the front fir example and that could make a massive difference in learning. but i just wondering if anyome else has the sm problem like i love my mum shes great and my dad knowd nothing of my medical history trust me. but i feel like shes hiding it from me cos maybe its something bad or she thinks im fine idk

Maybe if you go to your doctor you can ask them? I dont think your mum has the right to withhold your medical problems from you. She might be mad but at the end of the day it's your wellbeing. Maybe confront her first
Original post by aaa24
Thanks - Tips for english, maths, sciences and geo plz??? :smile:

English- reread your texts. Every time you do, you pick up an even more interesting yet subtle theme!
Maths- Practice papers, maths genie, hegarty maths. Also, don’t stress so much!! It’s just another set of questions 😊
Sciences- Seneca, practice papers, learn your required practicals.
Geography- Seneca and your exercise books have the best notes:^_^:
Could I ask how much did you revise in the year 10 summer before yr 11

For me it was...not really enough? I wish I’d got my year 10 work more solidified in my brain before year 11 :emo:
Original post by Nosa14
Maybe if you go to your doctor you can ask them? I dont think your mum has the right to withhold your medical problems from you. She might be mad but at the end of the day it's your wellbeing. Maybe confront her first

ive tried to ask like indirectly and straughtforward. im pretry sure once i turn 18 i cam get access to my medical history.i think she does it cos she dont want me to worry and cos she thinks she can deal with it all fine and i wouldnt want to stress her out she has crohns desease. im gonna wait to i turn 18 but it would be useful to know what my medical history is what i hv the name for it the full list of symptoms so i cam see how i cam mandge it or find a solution which can help.
Original post by X.243llie
ive tried to ask like indirectly and straughtforward. im pretry sure once i turn 18 i cam get access to my medical history.i think she does it cos she dont want me to worry and cos she thinks she can deal with it all fine and i wouldnt want to stress her out she has crohns desease. im gonna wait to i turn 18 but it would be useful to know what my medical history is what i hv the name for it the full list of symptoms so i cam see how i cam mandge it or find a solution which can help.

ik a rough idea of the hormone co dition i hv thanks to the bbc the other day i saw in the health section about pmdd and i searched it up it matches me perfectly and expalains y i take the tablets i do. ive figured that even if i dont hv hearing loss i do still find sitting at the back harder to hear and also in noisier classes u hear the noise before the teacher and it muffles out the teachers worda where as at the front u hear the teacher first cos the noise is behind and there closer to u. so fir that im gonna ask my teachers if i can sit at the front or at least near the front ik with covid19 that they hv set places for everyone but im sure they can change it or swap. for stress as yr11 is gonna be stressful we all know it im gonna bring mints as mints i find r refreshing and calming and apparently it helps with concentration
Make sure you use this time to solidify your year 10 knowledge and make revision resources! Good luck to everyone starting year 11 in September I'm sure you'll all do great!
Don't waste the summer after year 11. Prepare for A levels and make your life easier.
Original post by lulumillie02
Like above, I don't know if your school has Kerboodle but if you are studying AQA Geography then these textbooks are really good.
BTW, one of them is quite expensive but is the one mainly used in class if studying the AQA Course, it is also the one on Kerboodle. I have added an exam practice workbook too as it is really useful and accompanies the revision guide really well.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Geography-AQA-Student-Book/dp/0198366612/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Geography+AQA&qid=1596634972&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-9-1-Geography-Revision-Guide/dp/0198423462/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=Geography+AQA&qid=1596635011&sr=8-12

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-9-1-Geography-Exam-Practice/dp/0198423489/ref=sr_1_1?crid=C1YBYZI6KR9V&dchild=1&keywords=geography+exam+practice&qid=1596635049&sprefix=Geography+Exam+P%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-1

Just to say if you want a blank 'revision guide' to fill in with questions on Paper 1 topics, then please let me know as I can attach this, it is also my geography summer homework so it may be useful to you no matter what exam board you are on. If you are doing AQA it is Paper 1, Physical Geography.

https://padlet.com/lulumillie02/ii46xavs3npvyytt
The Booklet is on my Padlet here btw because it is too big of a file for an attachment, I will add more resources for different subjects too so feel free to use any you want/like. :smile:

Thank you so much :h:
Original post by Moonbow
For me it was...not really enough? I wish I’d got my year 10 work more solidified in my brain before year 11 :emo:

Aww no I better do that then :cry2:
Thank you so much :h:

No problem. :smile:
Make sure to ask your teachers for help. As an exam year, you'll be their priority so they'll want to make sure that you understand everything fully. There's no such thing as a stupid question. :biggrin: If you're shy about talking in class then ask afterwards or by email.
Original post by CaramelCamel
Make sure to ask your teachers for help. As an exam year, you'll be their priority so they'll want to make sure that you understand everything fully. There's no such thing as a stupid question. :biggrin: If you're shy about talking in class then ask afterwards or by email.

im gonna ask if 1 on 1 interventions will be available but with covid idk
Just a random question: does popularity sorta dull down a little because of gcses
Reply 38
Original post by _hithere_
Just a random question: does popularity sorta dull down a little because of gcses

No offense but why exactly why do you care about popularity? It’s so trivial and doesn’t even matter

Quick Reply

Latest