The Student Room Group

Working part time whilst at Medical School

I was just wondering if it is common for medical students to work part time while in medical school? What kinda thing do they tend to do - retail, or HCA/hospital work? Do most students who work tend to still do well?

I'm asking because if I get into medical school for 2009 entry I'll most probably need to work to have money for a social life and stuff as I'm not expecting a fortune in loans and I don't expect my parents to fund me completely. However some medical students I've spoken to say that they couldn't cope with the work load and still do well... any thoughts?
well when i did the rounds of applying to med sschools/ going to interviews the majority of med students i asked didnt have time for part time work. I honestly dont understand how sosmeone could get by doing a med degree in somewhere expensive like London. I think med students should get bigger loans imo
Reply 2
I know some of my friends who did it in first year. I've got a job for the second year, so we'll see how it goes.. My job is only for 5 hours a week, once every other week, though. So I can't think it'll affect my work that much. Going out for a night would do more damage.
Reply 3
I was lucky enough to have flexible work that gave me hours essentially when I wanted.
Reply 4
i only know of one person who works in my med school but she has no social life a result because she is either studying or working. If you do want to work, id say no more than 8 hours a week.

most people i know tend to do alot of temping work in the holidays to make money and work alll summer to save for the following year.

but i would think very carefully it is difficult to balance.
Reply 5
Yeah my sister is doing medicine and she says its really hard for her to get a job and go medical school. Although in the first and second year she worked for her summer holidays and was fine. Now she is going to her fourth year and she says it is preety hard to get a job as well. You will be fine working over summer for like 2 weeks. She worked at wimbeldon and they payed her around 800 pounds to wrk for 2 weeks. After that she went on holiday so its up to you i guess.
Reply 6
My sister is just going into her 2nd yr at Cardiff doing medicine, and she does do shifts as a bar monkey at the Millennium Stadium or wherever the agency people send her. However, that is very much ad hoc and not a regular thing. She's not mentioned any of her other med friends working.
Reply 7
I am in 4th year now and I have been working as a bank HCA since year one. My hours are totaly flexible. Normally I do one 10 hours night shift on Saturday or 7 hours on Saturday/Sunday afternoon depending what shifts are going on the wards I like. I work pretty much full time over summer. I have passed all my exams at first attempt so far, good proportion with honours or distinctions so I can't say it had negative implications on my studies. If anything it gave me some good learning opportunities. As the hours are flexible I can always choose not to work if I feel like going out instead or I need to revise for exams. Main advantage is money. If everything continues as it is I will graduate with no debt, not even a student loan to pay off (I am not entaitled to one).
Reply 8
It depends on the individual. Loads of people claim that they wouldn't have time for one. I don't think that's necessarily true. I've just started fourth year, and I've always had a part time job since first year (although not the same time). And I've always managed to do well enough at med school as well as be involved in extra-curricular activities/have a social life. It's not easy though. It does require that you have good time management skills, and you need to make sure your job is flexible. For the past year, I've worked at my union (behind the bar), and that's been quite good because they understand that my course comes first.

I know a couple of other people who have jobs. It is better to get either weekend/evening part time just because it's quite hard to be able to do shifts in the day during the week especially if teaching often changes last minute.

I would say that you could definitely cope with a part time job in the first 2 years. I still seemed to have a lot of free time despite having a job, and other activities going on. Still managed to keep up with all my soaps!! :biggrin: After that, would depend on the individual, and how organised they were.
Reply 9
Angelil
My sister is just going into her 2nd yr at Cardiff doing medicine, and she does do shifts as a bar monkey at the Millennium Stadium or wherever the agency people send her. However, that is very much ad hoc and not a regular thing. She's not mentioned any of her other med friends working.

Is your sister going to Cardiff Uni by any chance? My sister studies there she is going on to her fourth year
Reply 10
She's already there...
Reply 11
I've worked part time since first year. Different jobs, but my term time work as always been in healthcare. Currently working as a medical notes summariser - it's fairly flexible, and if I can't make it in one week dues to work commitments, they are super lovely. Will probably keep it up until Christmas and then leave to concentrate on Finals (*gulp*)...
Reply 12
The fact that Fluffy and myself were originally in the same yeargroup is something that perpetually terrifies me. So so glad I had that year before medschool, no matter what I may have said at the time.

Latest

Trending

Trending