Nicola Sresman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I need help !!! I have a coursework and the title is, "Explore the ways in which Preisltey shows the tension between the wealthy and the working class".
Last edited by Nicola Sresman; 1 month ago
FatmaR:)
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nicola Sresman)
I need help !!! I have a coursework and the title is, "Explore the ways in which Preisltey shows the tension between the wealthy and the working class".
Hello! I'm going into year 11 in September and I'm assuming you're talking about Priestley's 'An Inspector Calls'? If you are,I would advise you talk about the contrast of the younger and older generation.For example at the end of the play Arthur,Sybil and Gerald believe it's a 'hoax',whereas Eric and Sheila are outraged by their parents' and Gerald's reaction.You could also talk about how different characters react when they're being interrogated by the Inspector.Hope this helps and if you need any more support please ask
Nicola Sresman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by FatmaR:))
Hello! I'm going into year 11 in September and I'm assuming you're talking about Priestley's 'An Inspector Calls'? If you are,I would advise you talk about the contrast of the younger and older generation.For example at the end of the play Arthur,Sybil and Gerald believe it's a 'hoax',whereas Eric and Sheila are outraged by their parents' and Gerald's reaction.You could also talk about how different characters react when they're being interrogated by the Inspector.Hope this helps and if you need any more support please ask
Thank you so much, I have an essay in which I am writing currently and I need some help writing it. Here is one of my paragraphs:
Priestley uses stage directions to present the Birlings obsessive desire and need for money and wealth. Priestley establishes the Birlings to be a family driven by wealth and their status. The Birling household acts as a physical manifestation of upper class materialism, for example “good solid furniture of the period”. The use of ‘good solid furniture’ in the Birling household allows the audience to make a judgement that the Birling family is a wealthy family that takes pride in the way their house looks. We know this because it uses the strong adjective ‘solid’ to describe the quality of the furniture and connotes and strength and consistency but juxtaposes the state of the family after The Inspector visits. Alternatively, it could show the Birling’s wish to seem like a stable family, although the audience sees this unravel almost immediately. Presistley makes the Birlings have furniture ‘of that period’ to spark an idea to the reader that capitalists like the Birling family are greedy and selfish.
If you don't mind will you double check it and tell me how I could improve (especially the ending)
FatmaR:)
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nicola Sresman)
Thank you so much, I have an essay in which I am writing currently and I need some help writing it. Here is one of my paragraphs:
Priestley uses stage directions to present the Birlings obsessive desire and need for money and wealth. Priestley establishes the Birlings to be a family driven by wealth and their status. The Birling household acts as a physical manifestation of upper class materialism, for example “good solid furniture of the period”. The use of ‘good solid furniture’ in the Birling household allows the audience to make a judgement that the Birling family is a wealthy family that takes pride in the way their house looks. We know this because it uses the strong adjective ‘solid’ to describe the quality of the furniture and connotes and strength and consistency but juxtaposes the state of the family after The Inspector visits. Alternatively, it could show the Birling’s wish to seem like a stable family, although the audience sees this unravel almost immediately. Presistley makes the Birlings have furniture ‘of that period’ to spark an idea to the reader that capitalists like the Birling family are greedy and selfish.
If you don't mind will you double check it and tell me how I could improve (especially the ending)
This is an awesome paragraph!
To improve I would say;
Try embedding the quotations so avoid 'for example' and use phrases such as 'Priestley has ( character's name) say/exclaim etc
For the ending you should add a final sentence. In my school we call them concluding sentences so in your case it could be 'Priestley deliberately presents the Birlings in this way to clearly juxtapose their comfortable life with Eva Smith's struggles.This, therefore makes his spectators,which were mainly upper class at the time, realize how little responsibility they take for ensuring society is an equal place.'
It doesn't have to be that long but that's the kind of thing you're aiming for.
Other than these I think your essay is great
I hope this helped and good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (52)
13.68%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (51)
13.42%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (142)
37.37%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (41)
10.79%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (73)
19.21%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
5.53%

Watched Threads