Bristol University Private Accommodation

Watch
Cpt Avocado
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am an undergraduate hoping to study Engineering in Bristol. Unfortunately I was unable to apply for guaranteed hall accommodation before the deadline so will be applying for the non-guaranteed hall on the 14th. Because of this, I also need to look at the private accommodation options in case I do not receive an offer. Is anyone in the same boat as me, whether they missed the deadline or are hoping to apply through clearing, that is looking for people to live with should the uni halls not work out?
Snsdsone123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hi, I'm in the same boat as you, I missed the deadline for accommodation and so now I have to wait for the second round to open on results day. I' m also looking around but finding it very difficult.
Cpt Avocado
Rep:
?
Yeah, I am going to wait and see what happens with the second round but if I don't get an offer, finding other people to live with is going to be difficult. I'm hoping that by using this and also the Bristol accommodation bulletin board I'll be able to find people in the same boat looking to share private accommodation. It's annoying cos there was very little warning about the deadline. No email or anything.
Snsdsone123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Cpt Avocado)
Yeah, I am going to wait and see what happens with the second round but if I don't get an offer, finding other people to live with is going to be difficult. I'm hoping that by using this and also the Bristol accommodation bulletin board I'll be able to find people in the same boat looking to share private accommodation. It's annoying cos there was very little warning about the deadline. No email or anything.
I think it'll be very unlikely that I find accommodation, so I might just take a year out. I really don't want to go into private accommodation and deal with that hassle. i'm hoping that less students are starting this year due to Covid so that more accommodation is available, but even that seems unlikely. I read a thread on here from last year which stated that they waited until results day to see if there was an accommodation only to be told that there was none available - its suprising to me because I thought they would have at least have some.
Cpt Avocado
Rep:
?
Yh I think they tell you if you got an offer on the 27th of August which doesn't leave a ton of time to sort private out if you don't get an offer
desdenwilson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Cpt Avocado)
I am an undergraduate hoping to study Engineering in Bristol. Unfortunately I was unable to apply for guaranteed hall accommodation before the deadline so will be applying for the non-guaranteed hall on the 14th. Because of this, I also need to look at the private accommodation options in case I do not receive an offer. Is anyone in the same boat as me, whether they missed the deadline or are hoping to apply through clearing, that is looking for people to live with should the uni halls not work out?
How to you apply for the non-guaranteed hall?
Cpt Avocado
Rep:
?
It opens up on the 14th August. You just have to login to the accomodation thing like you would have done for guaranteed
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
Bristol was my insurance choice and so I am not guarenteed accomodation. I did see that last year there were facebook pages of people left without accomodation to find people to flatshare with to make private accomodation cheaper, so that might be an option :/
Cpt Avocado
Rep:
?
Luckily ofqual ****ed me so I can worry about whether im getting into uni at all instead of accommodation
bironicus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm going to bristol through insurance, honestly I'm quite frightened of not getting into halls because I don't want the stress of renting privately and desperately trying to find people to rent with
laurenhibbert
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Just got into Bristol through clearing for management and the idea of non-guaranteed accommodation is actually quite daunting. Does anyone know how many students didn’t make it into halls last year?
holls3053
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by laurenhibbert)
Just got into Bristol through clearing for management and the idea of non-guaranteed accommodation is actually quite daunting. Does anyone know how many students didn’t make it into halls last year?
I've managed to find this article but the figures referenced are only from 2017 :/
https://epigram.org.uk/2019/09/09/fi...accommodation/
JoshPS
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m in the same boat with Bristol as an insurance choice. It is quite worrying not knowing whether you have uni accommodation until quite late, leaving little time for searching for private accommodation.
Last edited by JoshPS; 2 months ago
laurenhibbert
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by holls3053)
I've managed to find this article but the figures referenced are only from 2017 :/
https://epigram.org.uk/2019/09/09/fi...accommodation/
Bit concerning since unis are supposed to be taking on even more students this year😂 It does make me think though with that many students living in private accommodation, if a large number stay in one accommodation, it might not be too bad. Almost like an extra residence! It is as good as we make it I guess.
DemBoyPaigon
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Bristol was my insurance choice and so I am not guarenteed accomodation. I did see that last year there were facebook pages of people left without accomodation to find people to flatshare with to make private accomodation cheaper, so that might be an option :/
I'm in the same boat and this situation is so ****ed. Bristol was my insurance and I'm studying Law. I missed the deadline to apply for guaranteed accommodation and now I am actually questioning what I should do. I applied to non-guaranteed accommodation so hopefully that works out :/

By the way, I might be wrong, but I think Bristol aren't giving out offers for non-guaranteed accommodation until sometime around September 7th due to the fact many students are going to appeal their results. Bristol aren't doing a first come first serve application process for accommodation so it just makes the whole situation so stressful
_symran_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It’s the same with me. Bristol was my insurance and now I’m just praying I get decent or any accommodation at all🤞🏽
But I think non guaranteed applicants are supposed to find out a week after guaranteed people so the 27th?
Choppygirl11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by _symran_)
It’s the same with me. Bristol was my insurance and now I’m just praying I get decent or any accommodation at all🤞🏽
But I think non guaranteed applicants are supposed to find out a week after guaranteed people so the 27th?
According to the university website they have changed the date for non guaranteed students to 6th September as they need to allocate rooms first to all the new firm choice incoming students.

Bristol is a contextual offer for my daughter and she now has the grades for her firm. She finds out today if they have spaces but it’s unlikely they will as it’s a vet med course, if not she has a guaranteed deferred offer for next year.

The accommodation situation is so bad in Bristol that if we can’t get uni accommodation my daughter may well give up her place and go for the deferred offer elsewhere.
o0MSK0o
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
In the same boat...

A bit confused though...they said to look in the private sector, but it's not like anything we find now will still be available by the time we find out if we got uni accommodation or not...
Choppygirl11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by o0MSK0o)
In the same boat...

A bit confused though...they said to look in the private sector, but it's not like anything we find now will still be available by the time we find out if we got uni accommodation or not...
I know and we are not going to take up private accommodation now whilst there is still a chance we could get uni accommodation.
Hi Luca
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Choppygirl11)
I know and we are not going to take up private accommodation now whilst there is still a chance we could get uni accommodation.
This is the issue. We will hear back by around the 7, although the course starts on the 28. This really is not a lot of time in between to find accommodation. I am just absolutely praying that there is at least a single room so I don't have to defer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.29%
I'm not sure (33)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.71%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.29%

Watched Threads