The Student Room Group

Expired rigevidon

So I’ve been taking expired rigevidon this month and I only just realised. It’s too late for emergency contraception at this point and the pack is about 8 months out of date. How much of of a higher risk am I at? Should I think about taking a pregnancy test in a couple of weeks? What’s the likelihood that a clump of cells is going to survive bleeding after I come off the pill again?
Original post by Anonymous
So I’ve been taking expired rigevidon this month and I only just realised. It’s too late for emergency contraception at this point and the pack is about 8 months out of date. How much of of a higher risk am I at? Should I think about taking a pregnancy test in a couple of weeks? What’s the likelihood that a clump of cells is going to survive bleeding after I come off the pill again?

Coming off it wouldn't cause a miscarriage if you're already pregnant so I would be doing a test so you're able to figure out what you want to do early on if you are.
They only know how long it is effective for to give it the expiry date so there's no way for sure how effective it is when it has expired.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Coming off it wouldn't cause a miscarriage if you're already pregnant so I would be doing a test so you're able to figure out what you want to do early on if you are.
They only know how long it is effective for to give it the expiry date so there's no way for sure how effective it is when it has expired.

Thanks! How soon do you think it’s appropriate to take a test? And how come it wouldn’t cause a miscarriage. Tbh, I don’t know very much about the pill, it was only prescribed for heavy periods.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks! How soon do you think it’s appropriate to take a test? And how come it wouldn’t cause a miscarriage. Tbh, I don’t know very much about the pill, it was only prescribed for heavy periods.

Because you have higher levels of progesterone when you're pregnant so stopping the pill wouldn't affect that I believe. some tests can work as early as about 10 days as the last time you had unprotected sex but 14 days would be more accurate. cheap tests if it's been a couple of weeks can be very accurate if you think you'll get worried and want to do it more than once.

Quick Reply

Latest