The Student Room Group

2:2 in 1st year...

Has anyone done poorly in 1st year (as in got a 2:2) then shot up in 2nd/3rd years?
I'm sure plenty of people with the "fIrSt yEaR dOeSn'T cOuNt" mentality who as a consequence did no work, and then had a good kicking up the ass in second and third year, have. You just need to know what you're being asked for in assessments, and give the answers they want (and beyond that). What are you studying?
Reply 2
Original post by UnwantedKid
I'm sure plenty of people with the "fIrSt yEaR dOeSn'T cOuNt" mentality who as a consequence did no work, and then had a good kicking up the ass in second and third year, have. You just need to know what you're being asked for in assessments, and give the answers they want (and beyond that). What are you studying?

I study biology at a Russel group uni. Going from a state school to uni was a big choc for me! Hopefully, I'll do better next year now that I've adjusted to uni life. The only bummer is that this 1st year mark may hinder my chances of getting into a good PhD programme... I've shot myself in the foot needlessly by not being on top of things in 1st year when I know that I CAN do okay. Urgh.

Would love to hear from students who've had a dodgy start at uni and who've managed to pull their socks up and get into PhD programmes!
Original post by Anonymous
I study biology at a Russel group uni. Going from a state school to uni was a big choc for me! Hopefully, I'll do better next year now that I've adjusted to uni life. The only bummer is that this 1st year mark may hinder my chances of getting into a good PhD programme... I've shot myself in the foot needlessly by not being on top of things in 1st year when I know that I CAN do okay. Urgh.

Would love to hear from students who've had a dodgy start at uni and who've managed to pull their socks up and get into PhD programmes!

Lots of people go from state schools to Russell group universities. Why do you want to pursue a PhD? it's quite early in your undergrad to be thinking about this :tongue:

Lots of people don't do well in their first year for all kinds of reasons - such as the one above - not taking the work seriously as it doesn't count toward your classification (which you only get at the end of the degree, by the way). Improving in your second year really relies on identifiying what went wrong :yep: So if you can avoid the mistakes of first year there is no reason why you should expect a repeat.
I got a 1st in my 1st year, 2:2 in my 2nd year, 2:1 in my 3rd and 1st in my 4th. Ended up with a 1st class degree.
Original post by Anonymous

I studied biology at a 'Russell Group' university (not that it matters at all). You can turn things around. I highly doubt it will have much impact on the 'good' PhD programmes applications - it's only first year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending