Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In the financial aid section it said to give bank details (account number and sort code) if you will be getting any financial aid, such as a scholarship etc.
    So i did and now when i go back into that section all my info is still there so i was just wondering is that safe? I mean if somebody got into my portal account thing, then they could see my account details.

ReputationRep:
    You'll just have to hope no-one ever does hack into your account.

ReputationRep:
    Unless they're a master criminal there's not a huge amount many people could do with your sort code and account number. They're written on every cheque you ever write (not that people use cheques much these days, but you get my point - they're not exactly "secret").

ReputationRep:
    The worst they could do is put money into your account if all that is there is sort code and account number.

ReputationRep:
    I was worried because usually even if it is just the sort code and account number, like when you pay ucas when you send your application or anything it goes on about it being secure etc. whereas this isn't. Oh well.
    Thanks for replying!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, it's pretty much the same with any website/account etc where you have to input details. You could say there's always a risk of someone getting their hands on your info, if you take the necessary precautions to protect your info (Good passwords, careful with what you throw out in the rubbish :p:) you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Leeds University have a pretty decent tech team from the experiences I've had, if there was any possible major risk to any of the information they store I'm sure they would find other ways to obtain the information they are requesting. The chances of someone literally hacking into your Leeds portal account is next to nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWizard)
    Don't worry about it, it's pretty much the same with any website/account etc where you have to input details. You could say there's always a risk of someone getting their hands on your info, if you take the necessary precautions to protect your info (Good passwords, careful with what you throw out in the rubbish :p:) you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Leeds University have a pretty decent tech team from the experiences I've had, if there was any possible major risk to any of the information they store I'm sure they would find other ways to obtain the information they are requesting. The chances of someone literally hacking into your Leeds portal account is next to nothing.
    Thank You! Do you go to Leeds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    Thank You! Do you go to Leeds?
    Yep, going into my second year - Looking forward to seeing all you new Freshers there!

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.