What are your plans if you miss your grades?

Watch
Poll: What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?
Go through Clearing (280)
40.35%
Take autumn exams (209)
30.12%
Look for a job (23)
3.31%
Consider an apprenticeship (26)
3.75%
Take a year out (116)
16.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (40)
5.76%
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Results Day and coming up, and it's a really good idea to have a plan in place in case of all eventualities. Here at TSR we're all crossing our fingers for each and every one of you to get the grades you want :hugs:

What are your plans if you don't get the grades you want? Do you think you'll potentially look at Clearing, or the Autumn Exam series?

What are your worries for if you miss your grades?

Remember, here at TSR we're here to support you if things don't go to plan - so do check in with us on Results day and ask any questions here and we can try to support as best we can

If you wanted to keep up to date with which universities have spaces in Clearing, you can also sign up for alerts from unis as well :hugs:
Last edited by StrawberryDreams; 1 month ago
Catlady5656
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if I dont get the grades I need I will probably go into clearing and see if there are any other courses I'm interested in, I dont think It would make a difference by doing the autumn exams because I have forgotten everything. But I only need BCC to get into my firm uni so I hope I'll get what I need on results day and I'm not too worried.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't see much point in applicants rushing to sit the exams in Autumn when they could resit next summer instead and have more time to prepare (and do something else) plus have less chance of further disruption due to cv19.

Very few universities have January start dates for undergraduate courses
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Catlady5656)
if I dont get the grades I need I will probably go into clearing and see if there are any other courses I'm interested in, I dont think It would make a difference by doing the autumn exams because I have forgotten everything. But I only need BCC to get into my firm uni so I hope I'll get what I need on results day and I'm not too worried.
That's a really fair point - I think a lot of people are worried about having to revise all the content in a short space of time so that makes a lot of sense :yep: Good luck for Results, I have my fingers crossed for you

(Original post by PQ)
I don't see much point in applicants rushing to sit the exams in Autumn when they could resit next summer instead and have more time to prepare (and do something else) plus have less chance of further disruption due to cv19.

I think this is something that isn't spoken about much and something I am concerned for. There are lots of people who think that a January start date could be on the cards and the reality is that there are not many unis who offer it. It's so important that people are given the facts by their preferred uni before signing up for exams in Autumn instead of Summer, but I do wonder if will be as widely communicated as it needs to be.
Voxxia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)

Some unis consider the Summer exams as resits and consider Autumn as first-sittings though :/ And students feel they may be at a disadvantage if their exams were classified as re-sits
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have been concerned all along that the government havent really thought the processes out correctly. The decision to offer exams in October is totally pointless. By the time results will be received most of the first semester will have taken place and it will be too late to start university this year. I also seriously doubt that resitting Maths GCSE whilst attending university is likely to happen.

It is basically a choice of going through clearing or retaking the exam next year when better prepared.

That said I suspect the grading system wont be much different from the old. The majority of students will achieve the same or similar results they would have had exams taken place. Universities in general will end accepting students with dropped grades as has happened in previous years. There will also be opportunities in clearing for people who have been rejected.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Voxxia)
Some unis consider the Summer exams as resits and consider Autumn as first-sittings though :/ And students feel they may be at a disadvantage if their exams were classified as re-sits
Most universities have no problem with resits and those that do are likely to be sympathetic given the current situation (a line in the reference explaining that the October exams were not possible for a student would be fine in most cases).

I personally doubt that the October exams will actually take place.
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If I don’t get the grades I Will go With my Insurance choice instead of firm choice.
Gayvenclaw :D
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'll probably go through clearing and if I can't get the uni I'd like, I'll either see if I can go to college again and do art and media courses that I wasn't allowed to do (because I "need a proper career!" ) and go from there and see what happens, or resit at some point (autumn / summer would depend on the viability of the college plan) and try again, but I don't really know other than that
Megsync
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'll end up going through clearing, I've already drafted up a bit of a list of unis in clearing who are offering my course already. I don't have the option to do autumn exams as I live in Wales and the stupid WJEC aren't offering us any autumn exams and in all honestly I don't really want to be waiting around for a year when I can just go off to uni in September
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Megsync)
I'll end up going through clearing, I've already drafted up a bit of a list of unis in clearing who are offering my course already. I don't have the option to do autumn exams as I live in Wales and the stupid WJEC aren't offering us any autumn exams and in all honestly I don't really want to be waiting around for a year when I can just go off to uni in September
To be honest the WJEC is right. The autumn exams are totally pointless for most students. Even if you pass in October you are not going to get into university until next year. Added to that you would have to pick up revision over a shorter period. This has been poorly thought out by the UK government and was done to appease students about not taking exams. As already said by PQ I doubt they will go ahead. Most students will get in to their chosen or insurance choices or get in through clearing. There isnt going to be the numbers sitting exams in October when they realise they will have to wait until next September to get in.
Akanya31x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i'm a medicine applicant and have firmed Leicester and insured keele. i really hope i get the required grades needed but if i dont and worst comes worst i need to take 2 or more subjects again. The October exams are not enough time to prepare. I really hope the uni's will be flexible.

Can i take the exams in summer 2021 instead or are they considered as resists? The university of keele for medicine has stated that if you have already recieved an offer from us, they will also reinstate that offer for 2021, even if you chose to do exams in summer 2021 and not the autumn time and they said these will be counted as first attempts not resists.
Megsync
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
To be honest the WJEC is right. The autumn exams are totally pointless for most students. Even if you pass in October you are not going to get into university until next year. Added to that you would have to pick up revision over a shorter period. This has been poorly thought out by the UK government and was done to appease students about not taking exams. As already said by PQ I doubt they will go ahead. Most students will get in to their chosen or insurance choices or get in through clearing. There isnt going to be the numbers sitting exams in October when they realise they will have to wait until next September to get in.
Yeah I totally get what you mean, I just find it awful that they're not offering the year 12s the chance to take their AS exam (as ASs are compulsory in Wales). I know from personal experience how stressful it is to be sitting both AS and A2 exams in the same year.

Plus I have a huge hatred of the WJEC as an exam board, so this just adds fuel to the fire
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Megsync)
Yeah I totally get what you mean, I just find it awful that they're not offering the year 12s the chance to take their AS exam (as ASs are compulsory in Wales). I know from personal experience how stressful it is to be sitting both AS and A2 exams in the same year.

Plus I have a huge hatred of the WJEC as an exam board, so this just adds fuel to the fire
If you look at the English Boards they dont offer AS and it doesnt form part of the grading the way it does in Wales. This was because the English government got rid of the link for political reasons so this year all A level students will end up doing the same thing. Personally I think the AS link is better as it is something universities can base judgement on rather than the totally discredited predicted grades system. However in the circumstances it is probably better A levels are based on just next year. Students wont have worked properly for months and bringing in an AS exam say in September will be totally unfair on them.

Also nobody really knows what is going to happen with the virus between now and next year. In the worse case scenario they will end up using the same system as this year. Nobody really knows but at least if they announced that it would provide some form of certainty for students.
boulderingislife
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Q) How does anyone not get the grades? Surely since pupils have been assigned "predicted grades", won't everyone get those for their real grades seeing as no exams are being sat? OR will the board mark down even these predicted grades?
Unlucki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
I think the majority of people taking Autumn exams will be private/external candidates tbh, which is about ~20,000 according to Ofqual but ofc not all of them will be doing the exams. I doubt many school candidates will bother as you say
Unlucki
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by boulderingislife)
Q) How does anyone not get the grades? Surely since pupils have been assigned "predicted grades", won't everyone get those for their real grades seeing as no exams are being sat? OR will the board mark down even these predicted grades?
Grades can be marked down yes as the exam boards will standardise the calculated grades sent in by schools and other centres. The grades can also go up but they're more likely to go down than up, if they are changed at all.
Skelly1203
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well my insurance is unconditional (abb for liverpool, salford both maths) so while it's got soemthing riding in it it isnt the end of the world if I do badly. Hopefully salford would let me resit a couple of a levels while starting uni though
ry7xsfa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm fortunate enough that my main university doesn't require specific grades and they've said they'll only rescind my offer if I really mess up. But I still want good grades anyway to show to future employers and to keep other options open as backup choices, so I'll be really disappointed if the grades aren't what I'm hoping for them to be.

I'll probably take the consolation that I didn't take the exams, so I may have been able to do better if I had done though. I've found it is helping to take the stress off.
Moonlight rain
Report 1 month ago
There is no “if”, I believe I will. And that is what is going to keep me going in this world
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (53)
13.84%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (51)
13.32%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (144)
37.6%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (41)
10.7%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (73)
19.06%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
5.48%

Watched Threads