Are your exam grades private information?

Watch
blackugo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it legal for your schools to give away information to any old member of the public about what you got in your exams? If you have any documents that would be nice.
Yazomi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don’t think so?
Moonbow
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by blackugo)
Is it legal for your schools to give away information to any old member of the public about what you got in your exams? If you have any documents that would be nice.
They can show what the overall grades were from the school, but not individual grades to a random member of the public without good reason, I hope.
blackugo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moonbow)
They can show what the overall grades were from the school, but not individual grades to a random member of the public without good reason, I hope.
I have seen some documents where they put the UCAS ID which is sort of anonymous. Schools often don't ask students who got all A*'s if they want their picture put up or their results are given in a newspaper. So it seems sort of ambiguous to me.
$Machiavellian$
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Data is now protected by law (GDPR). They can, as mentioned already, publish data in 'general' for reasons such as marketing for the school etc. However, they can't release individual results that can be tied to a named individual etc. By law, they need consent from the individual to publish or release anything that can be tied to a specific person.
Moonbow
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have seen some documents where they put the UCAS ID which is sort of anonymous. Schools often don't ask students who got all A*'s if they want their picture put up or their results are given in a newspaper. So it seems sort of ambiguous to me.
I see what you mean, but any school that won’t let you say not to keep your grades private is ridiculous. All the schools I know ask students if this is ok first, and usually they have the good intentions of celebrating your success. If you really worry this could happen, you need to tell the school this before they can put it up
blackugo
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5corpio777)
Data is now protected by law (GDPR). They can, as mentioned already, publish data in 'general' for reasons such as marketing for the school etc. However, they can't release individual results that can be tied to a named individual etc. By law, they need consent from the individual to publish or release anything that can be tied to a specific person.
Yeah, that makes sense. Would the same apply to the centre assessed grades and rank orders do you think? So if I requested them how would they anonymise them? The government said that schools can choose to give rank orders for the calculated grades.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, that makes sense. Would the same apply to the centre assessed grades and rank orders do you think? So if I requested them how would they anonymise them? The government said that schools can choose to give rank orders for the calculated grades.
They could give you your rank order (unless the numbers were so small that it identified someone else's rank order) but they can't tell you who did better or worse than you. You'd have to rely on your class mates asking for themselves, sharing the information and not lying.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 5corpio777)
That is my understanding too. Something brought in by the EU, incidentally.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
That is my understanding too. Something brought in by the EU, incidentally.
This was already covered by the 1998 Data Protection Act- GDPR didn't make as many changes as people think, it's just that the fuss about it has made people more aware of having to comply.
blackugo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
They could give you your rank order (unless the numbers were so small that it identified someone else's rank order) but they can't tell you who did better or worse than you. You'd have to rely on your class mates asking for themselves, sharing the information and not lying.
That is fair enough. You could mostly figure out the rest from discussions with friends
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That is fair enough. You could mostly figure out the rest from discussions with friends
They lie more than you think although this year there's a greater chance they'll be found out as there can't be 2 people with the same rank.
blackugo
Rep:
?
They lie more than you think although this year there's a greater chance they'll be found out as there can't be 2 people with the same rank.
LOL I don't think any of my friends lie. And as you said its easy to get caught out so there is no point. If anything I think they're more likely to be honest so they can rant about the system. But from what I read it did say rank order actually rather than rank so maybe they will give out the full list.
blackugo
Rep:
?
Ye
This was already covered by the 1998 Data Protection Act- GDPR didn't make as many changes as people think, it's just that the fuss about it has made people more aware of having to comply.
Looks like you were correct going by what this article says https://www.tes.com/news/gcse-and-le...ccess-requests
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.95%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.45%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.23%

Watched Threads