UCAT decision making question doesn't make sense

Watch
pondering-soul
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I don't get how this makes any sense. The top paragraph says, 'they each order either margherita, pepperoni... ham and pineapple or vegetable pizza.' This clearly indicates that vegetable pizza is chosen, else why would it be included in this statement?

Then, the answer indicates that 'we know that no one ordered a vegetable pizza.' Doesn't this directly contradict the previous point, even IF 2 ordered margherita, 2 ordered ham and pineapple and 1 pepperoni? I just don't understand it, it seems like a DIRECT contradiction to me. Anyone have any other take on it that I'm missing out on ?

thanks for the help
Attached files
eittol
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think it just means that those were the choices available on the menu and not that anyone necessarily ordered a vegetarian one if that helps.
Last edited by eittol; 3 months ago
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
No, they just listed the available pizzas first and then went on to describe how many were ordered/which toppings they had

The clue is in "They order EITHER"
Plücker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by pondering-soul)
I don't get how this makes any sense. The top paragraph says, 'they each order either margherita, pepperoni... ham and pineapple or vegetable pizza.' This clearly indicates that vegetable pizza is chosen, else why would it be included in this statement?

Then, the answer indicates that 'we know that no one ordered a vegetable pizza.' Doesn't this directly contradict the previous point, even IF 2 ordered margherita, 2 ordered ham and pineapple and 1 pepperoni? I just don't understand it, it seems like a DIRECT contradiction to me. Anyone have any other take on it that I'm missing out on ?

thanks for the help
Each person orders M, P, H&P or V.
At this point for all we know, they all order M. It does not indicate that anyone necessarily orders V.
pondering-soul
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plücker)
Each person orders M, P, H&P or V.
At this point for all we know, they all order M. It does not indicate that anyone necessarily orders V.
wait yeah that kind of phrasing makes sense... I thought it would be along the lines of this thank u
pondering-soul
Rep:
?
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
No, they just listed the available pizzas first and then went on to describe how many were ordered/which toppings they had

The clue is in "They order EITHER"
yeah that makes sense thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (592)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads