The Student Room Group

UCAT decision making question doesn't make sense

I don't get how this makes any sense. The top paragraph says, 'they each order either margherita, pepperoni... ham and pineapple or vegetable pizza.' This clearly indicates that vegetable pizza is chosen, else why would it be included in this statement?

Then, the answer indicates that 'we know that no one ordered a vegetable pizza.' Doesn't this directly contradict the previous point, even IF 2 ordered margherita, 2 ordered ham and pineapple and 1 pepperoni? I just don't understand it, it seems like a DIRECT contradiction to me. Anyone have any other take on it that I'm missing out on ?

thanks for the help
Reply 1
I think it just means that those were the choices available on the menu and not that anyone necessarily ordered a vegetarian one if that helps.
(edited 3 years ago)
No, they just listed the available pizzas first and then went on to describe how many were ordered/which toppings they had

The clue is in "They order EITHER"
Original post by pondering-soul
I don't get how this makes any sense. The top paragraph says, 'they each order either margherita, pepperoni... ham and pineapple or vegetable pizza.' This clearly indicates that vegetable pizza is chosen, else why would it be included in this statement?

Then, the answer indicates that 'we know that no one ordered a vegetable pizza.' Doesn't this directly contradict the previous point, even IF 2 ordered margherita, 2 ordered ham and pineapple and 1 pepperoni? I just don't understand it, it seems like a DIRECT contradiction to me. Anyone have any other take on it that I'm missing out on ?

thanks for the help

Each person orders M, P, H&P or V.
At this point for all we know, they all order M. It does not indicate that anyone necessarily orders V.
Original post by Plücker
Each person orders M, P, H&P or V.
At this point for all we know, they all order M. It does not indicate that anyone necessarily orders V.

wait yeah that kind of phrasing makes sense... I thought it would be along the lines of this thank u
Original post by bones-mccoy
No, they just listed the available pizzas first and then went on to describe how many were ordered/which toppings they had

The clue is in "They order EITHER"

yeah that makes sense thanks

Quick Reply