The Student Room Group

B Nat5 Modern Studues

I know I'm lucky to have all As and I'm probably over reacting but realistically, will this one B at National 5 Modern Studies (that really should have been an A considering my performance) affect me in any way as I hope to apply to medicine? Most schools say they don't look at National 5s but how true is that? I know I might sound a bit ridiculous but it's making me nervous.
Original post by YoonminIsReal
I know I'm lucky to have all As and I'm probably over reacting but realistically, will this one B at National 5 Modern Studies (that really should have been an A considering my performance) affect me in any way as I hope to apply to medicine? Most schools say they don't look at National 5s but how true is that? I know I might sound a bit ridiculous but it's making me nervous.

No, your grades are still fantastic! It's a commonly held but not very true belief that medicine needs straight As, and while you do need high grades for a traditional route into medicine, you don't need all As. It it bothers you, you can speak to your school about getting an appeal, but don't fret about it either way, as it's an excellent set of results! :biggrin:
Original post by YoonminIsReal

Hi there!

First off, congrats on your results! It’s a huge achievement anyway but all the more significant because of the weird circumstances this year.

If you feel like your Modern Studies grade should have been an A based on predictions and past performance, I’d appeal it. There’s nothing to lose seeing as appeals this year are free anyway and there’s always the chance it will go up to the A. A B is still a great grade though!

In regards to uni courses and specifically Medicine, it’s true that Nat 5s don’t matter all too much. All they’re looking for is a B for Maths, likely English and a science subject. I just looked at Edinburgh Uni’s requirements as an example and they say ‘Biology, Chemistry, English and Mathematics at B’. It’s really Highers and Advanced Highers that are important for UCAS applications, so don’t worry! Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending