Can I still apply for Veterinary Medicine with lower grades?

Watch
ray_0103
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I have received my S5 Higher results and I am afraid I won't be able to pursue Veterinary Medicine with what I have, since its lower than the requirement .I want to become a Vet Surgeon.
Is there a way which I could still apply for the course, even with lower grades?
What should I do if I am not able to take Advanced Biology on S6?
ryanalevel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ray_0103)
I have received my S5 Higher results and I am afraid I won't be able to pursue Veterinary Medicine with what I have, since its lower than the requirement .I want to become a Vet Surgeon.
Is there a way which I could still apply for the course, even with lower grades?
I can't say much for Scottish Higher and I am not applying for Veterinary Science/Medicine. But if I am honest, if all universities in the UK have that requirement, I doubt there'll be much leniency unless you are eligible for a contextual offer of some sort OR if some universities don't place much holding on GCSE / S5 Higher results. Keep an eye out and do your research.

You may have to retake the lower results if it is definitely a requirement. However, if you had something that prevented you from working to your fullest ability i.e. illness, death in the family etc, you may be able to appeal your results OR apply for extenuating circumstances consideration at your particular university. It is a very competitive course though so beware!!
FarmVet
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If your grades are lower than the requirements set out by the university admissions department there is a high risk of your application being rejected as a result. I have heard of students getting in with lower requirements than asked for but having spoken to admissions departments some just reject outright if the requirements are not met.

I would say having had friends that did another degree before the vet degree, friends who did a gap year and students that went straight to university there really is no rush. At the end of the day resitting the exams, working hard and acing them now will help you a lot more in the long run. I have friends who due to grades went to do a different degree first and financially this is an extremely difficult thing to do as in England you have to cover the tuition fees and cannot get a loan (apart from a maintenance loan) for the veterinary second degree. This is literally thousands of pounds you need to find, although the Scottish system may be different so may make it a more affordable option. In my opinion it is better to resit exams now or take a gap year to resit exams then to risk your application or start a different degree with the aim to do veterinary as a second degree.
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I mentor and as I'm in Scotland a lot of my mentees are Scottish. If your Highers did not go to plan it may unfortunately rule out Edinburgh and Glasgow but not necessarily the English universities. If you want to PM me with your results I'll certainly give you my opinion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
26.74%
No - I have already returned home (31)
11.36%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (57)
20.88%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (30)
10.99%
No - I live at home during term anyway (82)
30.04%

Watched Threads