The Student Room Group

Resit Advanced Highers

Is it possible to do resit advanced highers??
After school? Well, afaik you might in some colleges but you might have to sign up to Wallace college for that.
Original post by dude101010
Is it possible to do resit advanced highers??

Technically yes...But if the course you want to do at uni requires them in one sitting, they may not allow you to do them again (even though you technically have not 'sat' the exams) - this may vary by uni however, so contact them individually if this applies to you.

What is it you're looking to do beyond school & which subjects?
Reply 3
Original post by Labrador99
Technically yes...But if the course you want to do at uni requires them in one sitting,yu they may not allow you to do them again (even though you technically have not 'sat' the exams) - this may vary by uni however, so contact them individually if this applies to you.

What is it you're looking to do beyond school & which subjects?

hey. i would like to do Advanced math Advanced chem and advanced bio.
do you know how i could go about doing them. i only got Ds this year so i would like to resit. Also AH chem is missing from my certificate what should i do?
beyond school i would like to go uni, probably biomedical engineering.
hey. i would like to do Advanced math Advanced chem and advanced bio.
do you know how i could go about doing them. i only got Ds this year so i would like to resit. Also AH chem is missing from my certificate what should i do?
beyond school i would like to go uni, probably biomedical engineering.

For chemistry, check the cover letter that came with your certificate, it may be printed there if you got a No Award.

Presumably you already have highers? If so, what were your results for those? Had you applied to uni this year at all?
Reply 5
For chemistry, check the cover letter that came with your certificate, it may be printed there if you got a No Award.

Presumably you already have highers? If so, what were your results for those? Had you applied to uni this year at all?

i got ABBB for highers. got conditional offers for 4 courses at uni. never met the conditions.
i got ABBB for highers. got conditional offers for 4 courses at uni. never met the conditions.

Got it :smile: In terms of a first port of call, speak to your teachers, and find out whether the grades you got today were what they estimated you. If the SQA have adjusted your grades, definitely make an appeal. If you're doing that, let your firm & insurance know, as while they aren't obligated to, they will generally hold your place in that situation.

Have you had a look at the options available in clearing at all? There could be choices there that are open to you, so don't be too quick to dismiss it, for the sake of a couple of hours of research :smile:

Failing both of those, then resitting is the remaining option. Within this, I guess there are a couple of possibilities. The first would be to look at local colleges - there aren't loads who offer AHs, but there are a few. Would also encourage you to be open to doing some extra highers, as those are more commonly offered by colleges. You could ask your school if you could be entered into next year's exams as an external candidate (so you wouldn't receive any teaching, but they'd act as an exam centre). As Kubsyy has mentioned above there is also Wallace College which essentially acts as an exam centre (though there's fees associated with this).

Hopefully this helps a bit :smile:
Reply 7
Got it :smile: In terms of a first port of call, speak to your teachers, and find out whether the grades you got today were what they estimated you. If the SQA have adjusted your grades, definitely make an appeal. If you're doing that, let your firm & insurance know, as while they aren't obligated to, they will generally hold your place in that situation.

Have you had a look at the options available in clearing at all? There could be choices there that are open to you, so don't be too quick to dismiss it, for the sake of a couple of hours of research :smile:

Failing both of those, then resitting is the remaining option. Within this, I guess there are a couple of possibilities. The first would be to look at local colleges - there aren't loads who offer AHs, but there are a few. Would also encourage you to be open to doing some extra highers, as those are more commonly offered by colleges. You could ask your school if you could be entered into next year's exams as an external candidate (so you wouldn't receive any teaching, but they'd act as an exam centre). As Kubsyy has mentioned above there is also Wallace College which essentially acts as an exam centre (though there's fees associated with this).

Hopefully this helps a bit :smile:

hey labrador. thx for your help. i applied and got accepted to a clearing choice. they said that i have to accept and add to clearing in 24 hrs. if i do this and later manage to find a better course will i be able to change my choice?
hey labrador. thx for your help. i applied and got accepted to a clearing choice. they said that i have to accept and add to clearing in 24 hrs. if i do this and later manage to find a better course will i be able to change my choice?

Theoretically, yes I think.

What courses have you applied for and what grades did you need?
Reply 9
Original post by Quick-use
Theoretically, yes I think.

What courses have you applied for and what grades did you need?

i got really bad grades this year. i got 2Ds in Advanced highers. I needed one C. i am doing appeal now to see if i can get a C for advanced higher math. we will see how it goes. but im applying to a course called computer aided mechanical engineering through clearing for now incase appeal does not increase my grade. which is why i asked if i could cancel it later lol.
i got really bad grades this year. i got 2Ds in Advanced highers. I needed one C. i am doing appeal now to see if i can get a C for advanced higher math. we will see how it goes. but im applying to a course called computer aided mechanical engineering through clearing for now incase appeal does not increase my grade. which is why i asked if i could cancel it later lol.

Fingers crossed then! Are you applying to English universities or Scottish ones? If Scottish ones, they might take an access course or HNC instead. Or, maybe a Higher or two.

I usually don't encourage people to re-do AH courses because they're just a lot of hassle and pretty useless... :lol: Unless they're a requirement for your preferred course/s, consider alternatives to redoing AH (assuming you take a gap year).

And, to reiterate - you can accept a course and then ask them to decline it later if you get a 'better' offer. :rambo:
Original post by Quick-use
Fingers crossed then! Are you applying to English universities or Scottish ones? If Scottish ones, they might take an access course or HNC instead. Or, maybe a Higher or two.

I usually don't encourage people to re-do AH courses because they're just a lot of hassle and pretty useless... :lol: Unless they're a requirement for your preferred course/s, consider alternatives to redoing AH (assuming you take a gap year).

And, to reiterate - you can accept a course and then ask them to decline it later if you get a 'better' offer. :rambo:

its scottish yeah i live in glasgow. Yeah i was thinking of redoing AH but honestly AH were tortue and they definitely will be a hassle.

Once you add your clearing choice on track, then your decision is sort of committed...It's not completely absolute, but if you then want to change it, you need to call up the uni and ask that they put you back in clearing - they're under no obligation to do this quickly though. So yes, you could change your choice, but it is quite a bit of faffing around and if the uni could be slow to put you back into clearing

Definitely have a read through these FAQs on clearing to make sure the decisions you make are the best ones for you :smile: - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6552572

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending