What do these GCSE's entail? Watch

MorbidCow
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm going into year 10 after these summer holidays and I'm wondering whether I made a huge mistake with my GCSE options.

I have chosen History, Separate Sciences and Spanish. The only thing what annoys me is that I can't take Music without ditching Separate Sciences. And I need to take separate sciences to become a doctor. I know technically you don't need to, but my mum is kinda forcing me.

I really wish that I could take music, despite the fact that only emos take it in our school .

Anyway, can you tell me how horrible the next two years will be? Like what these three GCSE's entail? :woo:
Magnum Opus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if you want to take music then your school might let you, Just ask them and they might contemplate letting you do it out of school hours or during PE lessons
tradingmyheartforyours
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MorbidCow)
I'm going into year 10 after these summer holidays and I'm wondering whether I made a huge mistake with my GCSE options.

I have chosen History, Separate Sciences and Spanish. The only thing what annoys me is that I can't take Music without ditching Separate Sciences. And I need to take separate sciences to become a doctor. I know technically you don't need to, but my mum is kinda forcing me.

I really wish that I could take music, despite the fact that only emos take it in our school .

Anyway, can you tell me how horrible the next two years will be? Like what these three GCSE's entail? :woo:
Spanish, well I did spanish AQA and that was good, well I got an A anyways. You will hopefully enjoy it.

I did double award sciences so am unable to comment, and I didn't do history.

However my 2 cents is you will enjoy spanish!!
lilangel890
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Music is rubbish, seriously. You just have to learn facts off by heart and spend 100000000 years composing something -_-
toby_ling
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I found the new sciences - you probably heard about them - dreadful. Thankfully I only got the double dose.
Mr Nonsense
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
gcses= big memory test

science = waste of time ... no need to actually know anything
NicolePickle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I took seperate sciences (the new ones - 21st century science) for my GCSEs and I found it really tough. I wish I had gone for the doubles but if you're focused and you work hard then you shouldnt have a problem.

I found history very interesting, it was rarely horrible. Though I have one piece of advise for you on history, do not leave your revision till last minute !! :P Make sure you go over your notes on a regular basis - this will make life so much easier ^^
Ziffachan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
History has loads to learn; it seemed like so much more than all my other subjects.

I adored music, but it's not a good option for those who aren't already very musical. My teacher was a bit useless but by the end of the course I had Grade 8 Guitar and Grade 6 Bassoon along with Grade 5 Theory so I could do a lot of it already. To get the best marks for performance you need to be Grade 5 or above on something. You'll have performance, composition and a listening exam. For the listening exam you need to learn features of lots of styles and periods and be able to use what you know to identify pieces that are played in the exam. I found it quite easy but others found it really hard, just like anything really. Don't do it unless you're naturally musical.

Spanish was great for me, but I already had GCSE French before I started and was doing AS French alongside it. And I also have a "natural talent for languages", apparently :rolleyes: Spanish in my school was only taught at GCSE, so most people did Short Course Foundation. But they decided to put me in for Full Course Higher If it's a new language for you you will struggle more than continuing with a language that you've already been learning.
k823127
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I took history and loved it!
It was so interesting and i actually went to the lessons, which was rare for me. Just seriously don't leave revision until the night before go over them after lessons etc and make sure you understand everything....it'll help big time!
lucky star
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Separate Science isn't really that bad actually.. despite the amount of complaining people at my school used to do about them.. but then we did the IGCSEs so our syllabus might be different to yours..

Biology - I found that all you needed was a good memory for this subject.. although this may mean lots of revision but most of it was really easy to understand so that was ok..

chemistry - i found it rather interesting but also found myself cramming 2 years worth notes into my head the day before the exam since i'd dossed about in all the lessons (and our teacher had let us..).

Physics - easy to understand (or so i found) since most of its logical.. don't need to revise loads - just learn the main principles and some of the equations and "apply the knowledge". In fact as I found this the easiest subject out of all three sciences I revised the least (ie - hardly) for it and got a good grade (an A). However a word of caution, don't be fooled and think you can get away with very little revision even if it is your best subject or whatever cos had I revised more I could've easily got a higher grade (i was predicted an A*). Of course this goes for any other subject too..

History - had a love/hate relation with this.. keep on top of what you've been learning - like just read through your notes once a month or something and they'll be more fresh and you won't find yourself relearning the whole course before the exam like i did.. don't be put off by the coursework - its a good place to gain marks and isn't really that hard - in fact most people i know spent more time cutting down the coursework to the required length than actually writing it! also with the sources paper etc its all about technique so do your practise questions and also time yourself cos many people often find themselves pushed for time in the exams..

spanish i can comment on since i didn't take it.

music - again i didn't take it but from what i've heard i'd say do separate science instead cos you can always continue music out of school (like if you play an instrument and do your grade exams in it etc) rather than do a gcse in it..

anwyay good luck with it all =)
Malsy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you're wanting to become a doctor forget about the music..count yourself lucky you can do the seperate sciences(altho s.s is not really the only way to becoming a doctor).

Good Luck.
Draconis
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is separate sciences the same as triple science? If so, you don't need it to become a doctor. Do double award science and music. You're what, 14 years old? Take music and enjoy yourself.
Priyanka1992
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In my opinion...all GCSEs are basically memory tests.

Ooh sorry, someone has already said that.
Draconis
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
By the way, do you really want to become a doctor, or do your parents want you to be one? At 14 I suspect you haven't got any work experience, and many people find out during work experience that medicine is not for them. You can't really be sure before you've seen medicine up close.
annab1684
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Music GCSE is not very good.
You don't need to know much about music at all to do it.

stay clear of it

I did your other options too spanish = fun history = fun (with my class anyway) and I hated triple science but I didn't choose it and I always hated science so my opinion is of little use to you.
annab1684
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Malsi101)
If you're wanting to become a doctor forget about the music..count yourself lucky you can do the seperate sciences(altho s.s is not really the only way to becoming a doctor).

Good Luck.
erm my friend did music A level Malsi and she's just going into her second year at UCL doing medicine
my friend going to Cambridge this year to do medicine also did music A level so that's not strictly true at all.

And the only reason I know these people is through my choir which they did aswell as their other instruments and commitments so they've proved that there can be time for music, so OP don't stop music just because you want to do medicine.
Rock n Roll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
GCSES were the biggest waste of 2 years in my life. If you have a half decent memory and your not a pot-smoking waster chav, you will achieve A's and A*s will veritable ease. Don't worry about them being potentially too hard, it's nothing comapred to A Level.
Malsy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by annab1684)
erm my friend did music A level Malsi and she's just going into her second year at UCL doing medicine
my friend going to Cambridge this year to do medicine also did music A level so that's not strictly true at all.

And the only reason I know these people is through my choir which they did aswell as their other instruments and commitments so they've proved that there can be time for music, so OP don't stop music just because you want to do medicine.
I'm not saying Music can hinder your chances of doing medicine im just saying things like scienes are (obviously) more of a necessity. (therefore if having the choice choose science instead)

Chill:p:
WinstonSmith
Report 10 years ago
If you want to do medecine i suggest that you do triple sciences, partially because you are going to want to do biology, chemisty and (possibly physics, depending on how good you are).

We did the Edexcel 360Science course which was to quite an extent a big memory test.

Unless you are super good at music (and i mean like grade 8) i wouldn't suggest it because everyone at our school did really badly, even the people who were good only got Cs, and medecine is a really tough course to get in to, so you want to have as many good grades as you can. Unless you're bad at science (which hopefully you wouldn't be if you want to be a doctor) I strongly suggest that you do triple science.

Hope my two cents help.

Best of luck decision making.
History Rocks
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I loved History GCSE. :] My favourite lesson! Make sure you give your self more time to revise for History than any other subject. Cover everything way before hand. (I revised for 3 weeks straight everday) and go through plenty of practise papers. Once you have the speed a passion for the subject and the technique right you will be great.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?