The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well if your go to my school GCSEs entail more people ruining your lessons then years before, because now not only are they incapable of holding an attention span over a minute, they also dont understand any of it!
Reply 41
A_Fictitious
Well if your go to my school GCSEs entail more people ruining your lessons then years before, because now not only are they incapable of holding an attention span over a minute, they also dont understand any of it!

Sounds like my school already. For some sad reason, my school year is particulary unattentive and idiotic. Probably because my year is particulary chavvy! :woo: Oh the torture! I'm just glad my school uses a streaming system, despite how flawed it is. You only get spoilt rich kids whining a bit about the work to distract you instead of a chav throwing a chair at a teacher.

Now that was a little off topic.
Music is awful, honestly, you're not missing out on anything there. I thought it would be all fun, since I love playing the piano, and easy, since I've done that for ten years, but it was insanely hard. Composing was awful, and the facts you have to learn are so dull. Seriously, it's rubbish. You're not missing out.

I personally found separate sciences quite easy. Yes, there are some difficult concepts to get your head round, but also a lot of the work is quite easy. It depends which board you're with I guess, but mostly, it's fine.

MorbidCow
You only get spoilt rich kids whining a bit about the work to distract you instead of a chav throwing a chair at a teacher.

At my school, one slutty chav threw an exam table at the deputy head, after calling the head of maths a fat lesbian, screaming at her 'don't touch me!' as she was forcibly removed from the lesson.

It's supposedly the best school in the area...
Reply 43
You need to separate sciences, maybe depends on your exam board but a double award or triple award is fine for medicine.

Does nearly everyone on this forum want to do medicine. Its crazy.
Reply 44
I think I'm going to ditch separate sciences because after a day at school I realised how badly taught it is.

Nearly every of my science lessons are with people are doing Science and Additional Science. The science teachers are still confused about how to teach us separate sciences. The science department is good for teaching the two sciences but terrible at separate sciences.

I'm probably doing music because it is a decent department. Plus I don't want a bad grade in separate sciences messing up my university application.
Reply 45
MorbidCow
I think I'm going to ditch separate sciences because after a day at school I realised how badly taught it is.

Nearly every of my science lessons are with people are doing Science and Additional Science. The science teachers are still confused about how to teach us separate sciences. The science department is good for teaching the two sciences but terrible at separate sciences.

I'm probably doing music because it is a decent department. Plus I don't want a bad grade in separate sciences messing up my university application.

Well the majority of your separate science courses are made up of the Science and Additional Science work, so you need to be taught that as well. As my school, those doing separate sciences had an extra 3 science lessons (one for each of the three sciences) in addition to the 6 lessons everyone else had each week. That's when they were taught the stuff which was unique to the separate science syllabi. However, if you don't have any more lessons than the double award people, you have a problem.
Reply 46
I only only one lesson more per week. It's pretty stupid really :s-smilie: I got more lessons per week to take the level 8 maths paper out of school. Lol
Reply 47
Ziffachan
Well the majority of your separate science courses are made up of the Science and Additional Science work, so you need to be taught that as well. As my school, those doing separate sciences had an extra 3 science lessons (one for each of the three sciences) in addition to the 6 lessons everyone else had each week. That's when they were taught the stuff which was unique to the separate science syllabi. However, if you don't have any more lessons than the double award people, you have a problem.

At our school triple science people had 2 1/2 extra lessons a week (well, 2 one week and 3 the next), and essentially we just got through all the Double Award in a year and a bit, then did the extra module... We did AQA Triple Award with 3 modules in each subject, if this is making any sense...?!

I've started my AS courses now, and I'm finding the stuff in the 3rd module (that double award people didn't do, they did 1 and 2 hence double award) is coming up a lot and going into more detail. The double people are struggling a bit... but they'll catch up soon enough!!

:biggrin:
Reply 48
I took the separate science IGCSEs. We only found out we were switching from double to separate just before our mocks, so we had about a month to cram in all the extra material. Many friends and I were complaining that the school was disorganized for telling us on such short notice that we'd switch to separate science. Since I didn't do crap in class all year for the sciences, because my teachers weren't too great, I spent most of my time studying it at home before tests or during weekends. Then before the real things I crammed in all the extra info. After the exam I wasn't expected more than an A in chemistry, but it turns out I did better than expected. I don't know whether it was the independent work that paid off or whether separate science maybe didn't live up to the hype. Most of my friends ended up with As and the ones that worked hard got A*s.

Just to clear things up, the Separate science that we took isn't like Triple science, which is modular. We had to take a practical exam in place of coursework, and the main exam (80% of our grade) at the end of the 2 years...

You should do separate science. If you work hard at home, and at school, then achieving a top grade won't be, by any means, a gargantuan task :wink: If my class could cram in all the extra syllabus stuff in a month, then you'll have no problem doing it over 2 years :wink:

I'd say you should only do music if you want to take it at A level, but seeing as you want to become a doctor, I'd just leave it...

Latest