The Student Room Group

Dentistry Work Experience

Is anyone else struggling to get any work experience for dentistry.
Also what am I specifically trying to get from work experience, solely shadow some procedures or is there anything else?
I did 3 weeks of shadowing in dentistry a few years ago. 1 week was cosmetic dentistry and the other 2 were at a general dentistry clinic. All I did was go into the clinics in person with my dad and he basically asked the receptionists if I could shadow the dentist!! Lol. You could also go in by yourself but at that time in my life I was quite timid so it helped having my dad there. Btw we didnt know these dentists previously, they just happened to be near our home. Got turned down by 1 other one we asked.

Idk how this would work now because of covid. Which method are you using to ask them if you can shadow?
And yeah, all you need to do it watch the procedures and if you want (or if they let you) you can ask the dentist questions.
In the end I decided dentistry wasnt for me and am now studying medicine but it was a great experience!

Good luck!!
Reply 2
Original post by donkey.kong
I did 3 weeks of shadowing in dentistry a few years ago. 1 week was cosmetic dentistry and the other 2 were at a general dentistry clinic. All I did was go into the clinics in person with my dad and he basically asked the receptionists if I could shadow the dentist!! Lol. You could also go in by yourself but at that time in my life I was quite timid so it helped having my dad there. Btw we didnt know these dentists previously, they just happened to be near our home. Got turned down by 1 other one we asked.

Idk how this would work now because of covid. Which method are you using to ask them if you can shadow?
And yeah, all you need to do it watch the procedures and if you want (or if they let you) you can ask the dentist questions.
In the end I decided dentistry wasnt for me and am now studying medicine but it was a great experience!

Good luck!!

Thanks for your reply, I've just been emailing and calling all my local dentists.
What helped you choose medicine over dentistry may I ask?
Original post by JakeWalk
Thanks for your reply, I've just been emailing and calling all my local dentists.
What helped you choose medicine over dentistry may I ask?

No problem.

Shadowing the cosmetic dentist made me realise I really wouldn't want to do that. The interactions between the patient and dentist were very limited and superficial. He'd basically barely speak with them, would just get the procedure out of the way, and so most of the patient contact was with the nurses. Also saw one of the new nurses cry because the dentist was rude and dismissive. But this was just 1 experience!!! Not saying this is the norm, just what I witnessed.

The general dentist however was such a wonderful, funny guy. Super welcoming and really interacted with his patients and nurses and seemed to have a good relationship with them. But he was the one that said he would probably not have gone into dentistry if he could go back in time. He said it's repetitive, and he chose it primarily because his father and grandfather were dentists. Then again he said he had a very good lifestyle and wouldn't have known exactly what else he could have done. He also only worked 4 days of the week so that is a major bonus imo!!!

Both made a lot of money and consequently were very well off and were able to have frequent holidays.

Overall, I knew I would be bored if I went into dentistry. I'm quite neurotic so I'd need to see vastly different patients and illnesses and scenarios to stay happy in a job. But that's just me. And I didn't want to be working with my hands all day.

I hope this post hasnt discouraged you. I'm sure if you get some of your own shadowing experience you would be better able to judge for yourself what the job is really like and if it's suited to you.

Sorry for the really long post :biggrin:
Original post by JakeWalk
Is anyone else struggling to get any work experience for dentistry.
Also what am I specifically trying to get from work experience, solely shadow some procedures or is there anything else?

Hi Jake,

Some aspiring dentists are seeking out virtual work experience sessions. These can be useful if you have struggled to get work experience in a dental practice.
Organising video calls with dentists can also be useful as you still get to ask them questions and reflect on that within your personal statement.

The purpose of work experience is to confirm that dentistry is the career for you and you show that in your personal statement by reflecting on how your observations/ experiences make you suitable for the profession.

Quick Reply

Latest