The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2020/21

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PuerilePupil
Anyone know any websites/threads with good advice on how to nail a Vacation Scheme application?

Nailing a vac scheme application really depends on the firm. I'd say to make sure you do your research, understand why the firm stands apart from others... Is it a US law firm or magic circle? Do you want to work for a firm with a large international presence? Do you a range of practice areas or are you interested in only practicing in one primarily?

Good websites for tips are lawcareers.net, bright network, legal cheek... All of them have blog posts on this kind of stuff.
Original post by Tia_mmalt
Hi - which office is this for?

Leeds, what about you?
Original post by figuringitout1
Nailing a vac scheme application really depends on the firm. I'd say to make sure you do your research, understand why the firm stands apart from others... Is it a US law firm or magic circle? Do you want to work for a firm with a large international presence? Do you a range of practice areas or are you interested in only practicing in one primarily?

Good websites for tips are lawcareers.net, bright network, legal cheek... All of them have blog posts on this kind of stuff.

Much appreciated.
Has anyone applied for DAC Beachcroft? I don’t really understand the application format, as it is not like a typical application. What do we include in personal summary and how many words as it doesn’t indicate at all? Also in terms of the reference do we actually need a written paragraph in it or do we just state that they can contact our reference for one? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by hz1997
Anyone who did an AC with Dentons, how long did it take to hear back after the phone interview?

A can’t remember but roughly a week I think
Hi guys, does anyone who has done the NRF AC before have any tips or insights? I'd really appreciate it!
Has anyone heard back from Freshfields for the direct TC? ie Watson glaser invite or AC invite?

I haven't heard anything, they may be working through the VS apps first?
Reply 1527
Hi any tips for the Dentons phone interview would really appreciate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
do people think it's worth sending an app to Dechert now if the deadline is next week?
Hi guys, a quick question. How would you say a cover letter for an insight or open day should differ from a cover letter for a VS or TC? Are they very different, or do you still follow the same why me why you etc. structure? Any thoughts or 'insight' (sorry) would be appreciated!
Original post by Law181818
do people think it's worth sending an app to Dechert now if the deadline is next week?

Yeah what’s the harm? I’ve applied to a couple places the day before the deadline and gotten an interview. Worth a shot.
Does anybody have any tips for the SPB VI? I would really appreciate it!!
Original post by Investigating
Hi guys, a quick question. How would you say a cover letter for an insight or open day should differ from a cover letter for a VS or TC? Are they very different, or do you still follow the same why me why you etc. structure? Any thoughts or 'insight' (sorry) would be appreciated!

When applying for those things I tend to say what attracts me to the firm and why I want a place on the scheme/open day (e.g. to get to know the firm better in advance of applying for a VS).
Reply 1533
Has anyone done the Baker McKenzie video interview? Would really appreciate some help!
Is anyone else’s simmons e simmons or ashurst application portal down?
Original post by CatusStarbright
When applying for those things I tend to say what attracts me to the firm and why I want a place on the scheme/open day (e.g. to get to know the firm better in advance of applying for a VS).

Thanks very much!
I’ve just seen that in a couple of other threads you’ve said that you’re currently in year 9 and choosing your options for your GCSE’s. Is this for real, cause I’m sorta weirded out by this?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=46163942&highlight=

I think this thread is from 6 years ago aha
Has anyone applied for DAC Beachcroft? Would really appreciate some help with what to include in personal summary and how long it’s meant to me?
Has anyone completed the Eversheds Sutherland video interview? Would really appreciate some help!
Original post by law10119
Has anyone completed the Eversheds Sutherland video interview? Would really appreciate some help!

I'm going to do mine tomorrow. What kind of help do you need?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending