The Student Room Group

The Difference in Difficulty between LLB and LLM study

Hello,
I am due to commence LLM study in International Human Rights Law and Practice this October at York.
I hold a Bachelor’s in Law from Reading.

My questions are (1) how difficult is LLM study in relation to LLB study, (2) will the difference between a Red Brick university and a Russell Group university be prominent/am I likely to be able to tell the difference, and (3) should I be doing extended reading for my course at this point in the summer?

Any information from anyone that has been an LLM student would be really helpful.
is York doing its fancy small group teaching for the LLM? because the experience of the LLB at York is not a good indicator of what the experience of the LLB is elsewhere

you can start work on your disso in the summer if you know the topic you want to do it on. just doing preliminary reading/thinking will help
Reply 2
From my research, York is still doing the small group sessions for all LLMs. With social distancing measures, apparently the class sizes will be even smaller.

I have an idea of my Dissertation topic, but given how it’s my first (I didn’t do a Dissertation for Undergrad), I thought it wise to discuss it with my supervisor/tutor when I go in October, but I can read around the topic.

Is the difficulty of the LLM worse than that for Final Year Undergraduate Level?
Original post by EU Yakov
is York doing its fancy small group teaching for the LLM? because the experience of the LLB at York is not a good indicator of what the experience of the LLB is elsewhere

you can start work on your disso in the summer if you know the topic you want to do it on. just doing preliminary reading/thinking will help
Original post by LS1998
From my research, York is still doing the small group sessions for all LLMs. With social distancing measures, apparently the class sizes will be even smaller.

I have an idea of my Dissertation topic, but given how it’s my first (I didn’t do a Dissertation for Undergrad), I thought it wise to discuss it with my supervisor/tutor when I go in October, but I can read around the topic.

Is the difficulty of the LLM worse than that for Final Year Undergraduate Level?

I haven't done an LLM so no clue. I wouldn't think that LLMs are necessarily more difficult, because you can pick entry-level modules that are tailored to students who aren't from common law jurisdictions. I guess that the advanced/theoretical modules on an LLM might be more difficult than their 'standard' equivalents at undergrad? LLMs also force you to do a disso, which is challenging the first time you've done it. Most unis don't force their students to do one at undergrad, which is a great disservice tbf

you should absolutely start reading around the topic now - the more informed you are for those first few crucial sessions, the better. academics only provide value if you're capable of discussing a topic at a decently high level. if you're not, the msot they can say to you is "go do some more reading and come back"
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending