Surgery during university course

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello.

I have some medical issues, which I've just went to the GP about. The treatment I have is pretty much surgery, especially with my case, but that isn't confirmed, nor will it be confirmed until another 12 weeks from today.
The recovery time is approximately 6 weeks on average, and can go up to 8 weeks, but this isn't a full recovery, only to go back to normal activities. I was wondering whether I should stay out of uni for this year (my first year), because losing 6 weeks of education seems to be quite a lot of work to catch up on. Is this a good idea?

Also, of I decided to go uni but in the event of having to do a surgery, am I able to end the course for that year, and not have to pay the rest of my tuition and maintenance loans?
meowmeow111
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
depends what your course is tbh.
my sister who studied nursing also had to undergo surgery. but due to missing placement she has to restart the year this upcoming november
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello.

I have some medical issues, which I've just went to the GP about. The treatment I have is pretty much surgery, especially with my case, but that isn't confirmed, nor will it be confirmed until another 12 weeks from today.
The recovery time is approximately 6 weeks on average, and can go up to 8 weeks, but this isn't a full recovery, only to go back to normal activities. I was wondering whether I should stay out of uni for this year (my first year), because losing 6 weeks of education seems to be quite a lot of work to catch up on. Is this a good idea?

Also, of I decided to go uni but in the event of having to do a surgery, am I able to end the course for that year, and not have to pay the rest of my tuition and maintenance loans?
Hey!

I feel as the other user says it does depend on your course entirely.

However, this year with most things likely to be online with maybe only some face to face teaching I feel like you would be alright to miss 6-8 weeks of the face to face teaching
As long as you let your tutor know and also keep up with online lectures and such

I hope this helps you!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That is a lot of time missed, especially if you won't be in a state to do remote learning while recovering. Of the people I knew who had surgeries while in uni, one had an emergency appendectomy and was recovering for about 2-3 weeks I think and continued as usual and managed to return without having to take a break or year out. The other person I'm not sure what they had for a procedure but they missed nearer two months for recovery, similar to what you might need to - in the end they suspended their studies and just came back and did the year again the next year (although as it was due to extenuating circumstances, they weren't capped on marks or anything).

I'd probably suggest seeing if you can defer entry for a year if the recovery period is going to be that long; I imagine they will permit it, and then you will have plenty of time to get back on your feet and won't need to worry about whether you might need to suspend your studies or go through any additional bits of administrative paperwork for that or for filing extenuating circumstances forms etc. Also given the coronavirus pandemic is continuing, you may be best off avoiding being in a crowded uni environment where you may be more likely to catch something before or after your surgery (covid-19 or otherwise).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by meowmeow111)
depends what your course is tbh.
my sister who studied nursing also had to undergo surgery. but due to missing placement she has to restart the year this upcoming november
That's quite unfortunate. I'm going to be studying civil engineering
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey!

I feel as the other user says it does depend on your course entirely.

However, this year with most things likely to be online with maybe only some face to face teaching I feel like you would be alright to miss 6-8 weeks of the face to face teaching
As long as you let your tutor know and also keep up with online lectures and such

I hope this helps you!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
To be honest if there is online teaching this year due to the virus, I'm not planning to study. I don't feel any motivation through online teaching, so I think it might be best for me to just take the year off.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by artful_lounger)
That is a lot of time missed, especially if you won't be in a state to do remote learning while recovering. Of the people I knew who had surgeries while in uni, one had an emergency appendectomy and was recovering for about 2-3 weeks I think and continued as usual and managed to return without having to take a break or year out. The other person I'm not sure what they had for a procedure but they missed nearer two months for recovery, similar to what you might need to - in the end they suspended their studies and just came back and did the year again the next year (although as it was due to extenuating circumstances, they weren't capped on marks or anything).

I'd probably suggest seeing if you can defer entry for a year if the recovery period is going to be that long; I imagine they will permit it, and then you will have plenty of time to get back on your feet and won't need to worry about whether you might need to suspend your studies or go through any additional bits of administrative paperwork for that or for filing extenuating circumstances forms etc. Also given the coronavirus pandemic is continuing, you may be best off avoiding being in a crowded uni environment where you may be more likely to catch something before or after your surgery (covid-19 or otherwise).
Oh right that does seem like a good idea, but I wonder whether they will accept my deferral of entry, because like I said my excuse is that I might have to have surgery, still not confirmed. I mentioned to the other comment saying how I don't enjoy online teaching and don't feel motivated, so in a way the virus is another reason why I may take the year off
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Oh right that does seem like a good idea, but I wonder whether they will accept my deferral of entry, because like I said my excuse is that I might have to have surgery, still not confirmed. I mentioned to the other comment saying how I don't enjoy online teaching and don't feel motivated, so in a way the virus is another reason why I may take the year off
Honestly universities usually accept deferral requests, and if you indicate it's for a medical reason I think they would certainly accept it. Even if not they probably would, so all in all it sounds like asking to defer entry would be the most practical route.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Honestly universities usually accept deferral requests, and if you indicate it's for a medical reason I think they would certainly accept it. Even if not they probably would, so all in all it sounds like asking to defer entry would be the most practical route.
Thanks for the advice, seems like I'm probably going for that deferral then
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (32)
23.53%
Less motivated (104)
76.47%

Watched Threads