Antidepressants Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
If someone is prescribed antidepressants, could this affect their future job prospects somehow?
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
didnt affect me.
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No. Employers are not allowed to discriminate on grounds such as these,
Zebrastripes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not sure about jobs, but i know things like Camp America discriminate if it is recent, as you are working with children 24/7.
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Employers aren't allowed to have a flick through your medical history, if you choose not to tell them then they wont ever know.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So if it was a job working with children, other than Camp America, it shouldn't affect it? Like teaching or something?
Zebrastripes
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it will just be a crb check not a health check for teaching, but it might be better to ask in the teaching forum about "health forms".
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So if it was a job working with children, other than Camp America, it shouldn't affect it? Like teaching or something?
No, it shouldn't do. Some employers may be wary of things like the stress the job puts you under (which is why Camp America are careful about taking on people with antidepressant prescriptions active - Although I have known it). They're mainly looking out for yours and their welfare, because they want to pay someone who's going to have a mental breakdown.
Anonymous #2
Report 10 years ago
i am also curious to know for sure, what if wanted to go into a job in a high stress environment or something but i have a history of mental illness? (I dont as of yet but its the idea it may be a problem that contributes to me not getting myself sorted)
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ladydeborah)
I think it will just be a crb check not a health check for teaching, but it might be better to ask in the teaching forum about "health forms".
If you declare it, unis will ask for a health check. I had one done and the uni have accepted me regardless.
Zebrastripes
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you tried counselling? I don't think any jobs will disciminate if it is in the past. It is best to get help now than to let it go on and affect you in jobs, etc.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i am also curious to know for sure, what if wanted to go into a job in a high stress environment or something but i have a history of mental illness? (I dont as of yet but its the idea it may be a problem that contributes to me not getting myself sorted)
To both posters;

These are all extremely subjective questions that you are asking. People are put on anti-depressants for a variety of reasons, as well as short term, long term and different dosage courses, and all of this will be taken into account by employers.

Take for example, a 19 year old who was on a 8 month course a year ago. That's in her history, but it's unlikely to affect her job prospects. Equally, an 18 year old who is on a full-time course (ie not looking to come off anytime soon) but coping well and is stable on them is unlikely to have job prospects seriously affected. However, if you're not coping on the drugs you're on, or have come off them and are not coping and that is clear (either in interview or from doctors reports), this could understandably affect your job prospects as employers don't want someone who is going to have a mental breakdown in the middle of their shift.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Talk to your uni/employers, and your doctor. These are the people who will know best.
Anonymous #2
Report 10 years ago
this sounds like all the more reason to bottle it all in, if i dont tell anyone i cant be affected anymore, if im feeling like **** beforehand how **** would i feel if i couldnt get the job i wanted because i feel like ****
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
this sounds like all the more reason to bottle it all in, if i dont tell anyone i cant be affected anymore, if im feeling like **** beforehand how **** would i feel if i couldnt get the job i wanted because i feel like ****
You don't have to tell an employer at interview, however you can tell them once you're employed, as they can't fire you for it.
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you dont have to tell them
Anonymous #2
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
you dont have to tell them
Is that for sure no matter what the job?
Thud
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
While it's true employers aren't allowed to discriminate against people based on mental illness, 60% of them admitted they would be put off hiring someone with a history of mental illness (annoyingly I can't find the source for this atm, it was in one of the lib dem's speech to the HoC I think). It's up to you whether you wish to disclose it or not.
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes. You dont have to tell them of any medication you've been on.. They dont need to know. They can discriminate on such grounds
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
Yes. You dont have to tell them of any medication you've been on.. They dont need to know. They can discriminate on such grounds
Legally they can't. However, they do and it's extremely hard to prove (particularly as they can simply say that your health is more important than their job)
Ataloss
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Thud)
While it's true employers aren't allowed to discriminate against people based on mental illness, 60% of them admitted they would be put off hiring someone with a history of mental illness (annoyingly I can't find the source for this atm, it was in one of the lib dem's speech to the HoC I think). It's up to you whether you wish to disclose it or not.
This isn't that research - but illustrates a similar point:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6034193.stm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.51%
No (614)
72.49%

Watched Threads