CharityCross219
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m so stressed and I’ve been thinking about it for months now and still haven’t been able to come to a decision. I’m definitely going to take ICT and Classics. But my third a level I can’t decide. It’s out of
- psychology
- biology
- business
- computer science
Can anyone give me some insights on what these a levels are like?
Keep in mind I have no life plan whatsoever. Will mostly likely go down the ICT route
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CharityCross219)
I’m so stressed and I’ve been thinking about it for months now and still haven’t been able to come to a decision. I’m definitely going to take ICT and Classics. But my third a level I can’t decide. It’s out of
- psychology
- biology
- business
- computer science
Keep in mind I have no life plan whatsoever. Will mostly likely go down the ICT route
have you done any of the subjects at gcse? If you think you'll go down the it route, I'd swap it for computer science and then do for one of the other subjects, i found business studies a nice easy one to go for when I did my a levels.
ryanalevel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CharityCross219)
- psychology
- biology
- business
- computer science
I only have experience with Biology A-Level here. Biology is an easy-ish A-Level to nail ONLY if you understand it and were good at the concepts at GCSE. There's so much more to learn at A-Level and the subject is considered a great one by universities for demonstrating a well-rounded person. With Biology, you just have to keep up with the workload and make links between things. Do lots of practice questions as you need to nail the marking scheme's wording. Plus, you may know something contextually or whatever i.e. conservation, but you need to get the MS wording right and needs to be specific to the exam board so make sure you are confident with the actual specification. Some of it is quite dry in Biology though. I definitely prefer Chemistry. It's harder but much more exciting (coming from someone who wants to be a doctor). This is mostly because, in the first year, we didn't have many anatomical units or anything to do about the human body much. It was all covering the basics.

From what I've heard about Psychology from friends, it's great but it's a big workload especially with things like essays and extra reading. I've heard Computer Science is really hard too and despite you being able to do it without having done GCSE, it does help to have a GCSE in Computer Science due to its complexity and difficulty at A-Level. Business, from what I've heard from friends, is pretty easy if you've done it at GCSE. Even if you hadn't done it at GCSE, it's meant to be pretty cool going.

Hope this helps. Computer Science is good if you want to go down ICT route btw as it does help knowing key stuff from that as some stuff overlaps with ICT!
CharityCross219
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
have you done any of the subjects at gcse? If you think you'll go down the it route, I'd swap it for computer science and then do for one of the other subjects, i found business studies a nice easy one to go for when I did my a levels.
I did business, triple science and ICT as GCSEs. I’m not quite sure on computer science because I’ve been told it involves a lot of mathematics and though I was getting C and up in maths It’s not one of my best subjects and it takes me a long time to understand things
CharityCross219
Rep:
?
(Original post by ryanalevel)
I only have experience with Biology A-Level here. Biology is an easy-ish A-Level to nail ONLY if you understand it and were good at the concepts at GCSE. There's so much more to learn at A-Level and the subject is considered a great one by universities for demonstrating a well-rounded person. With Biology, you just have to keep up with the workload and make links between things. Do lots of practice questions as you need to nail the marking scheme's wording. Plus, you may know something contextually or whatever i.e. conservation, but you need to get the MS wording right and needs to be specific to the exam board so make sure you are confident with the actual specification. Some of it is quite dry in Biology though. I definitely prefer Chemistry. It's harder but much more exciting (coming from someone who wants to be a doctor). This is mostly because, in the first year, we didn't have many anatomical units or anything to do about the human body much. It was all covering the basics.

From what I've heard about Psychology from friends, it's great but it's a big workload especially with things like essays and extra reading. I've heard Computer Science is really hard too and despite you being able to do it without having done GCSE, it does help to have a GCSE in Computer Science due to its complexity and difficulty at A-Level. Business, from what I've heard from friends, is pretty easy if you've done it at GCSE. Even if you hadn't done it at GCSE, it's meant to be pretty cool going.

Hope this helps. Computer Science is good if you want to go down ICT route btw as it does help knowing key stuff from that as some stuff overlaps with ICT!
Thank you that has helped some.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
26.05%
Less motivated (88)
73.95%

Watched Threads