CmarieB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have recently been offered a place for a geography pgce and started a ske course with eureka online college who have now been over subscribed and don’t have the funding both to teach the course or to pay me the £200 a week. I called around all ske providers on Friday and TES had some space and verbally told me that they had funding. Now, they have been in touch and said they don’t have any funding left and apologised for any distress. Is anyone in a similar situation and know if even though this is a condition that I must meet to get into uni.. would I still be accepted? Surely I can’t be the only only student that this has happened to. Also to note the pgce course leader is currently on annual leave until September so any advice is really appreciated!
username1728425
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can only tell you what I know - this is a problem will all SKE providers at least with the bursary - not sure about the actual course. The DfE has suddenly pulled funding. No one is actually sure what this means at the moment. The only thing they know for sure is people after a certain date won't be receiving funding, but don't know if this affects people like me who have been doing the course for a while but haven't received funding because I was doing my degree.
As for the place, I think it will depend on why you are doing the SKE - as far as I'm aware if your degree isn't in your subject you have to do a minimum duration, whereas if it's just refreshing your knowledge it may be different. As most providers are subject to specific rules etc, they may not have a choice. I'd email anyone at your university to see what can be done given the situation. As you would hope that if it's just a knowledge refresher something else can be put in place to increase your knowledge.
CmarieB
Rep:
?
(Original post by katyleighx)
I can only tell you what I know - this is a problem will all SKE providers at least with the bursary - not sure about the actual course. The DfE has suddenly pulled funding. No one is actually sure what this means at the moment. The only thing they know for sure is people after a certain date won't be receiving funding, but don't know if this affects people like me who have been doing the course for a while but haven't received funding because I was doing my degree.
As for the place, I think it will depend on why you are doing the SKE - as far as I'm aware if your degree isn't in your subject you have to do a minimum duration, whereas if it's just refreshing your knowledge it may be different. As most providers are subject to specific rules etc, they may not have a choice. I'd email anyone at your university to see what can be done given the situation. As you would hope that if it's just a knowledge refresher something else can be put in place to increase your knowledge.
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately my degree is in sociology so I haven’t studied geography since a level, that being said it was only an 8 week ske I had started. Hopefully I get some more answers tomorrow from the uni. The funding for doing the ske would’ve came in handy but it’s not the end of the world if something else was put in place which would mean I could still do my PGCE. Currently on unpaid maternity leave and the thought of having to return to my current job fills me with dread!
username1728425
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CmarieB)
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately my degree is in sociology so I haven’t studied geography since a level, that being said it was only an 8 week ske I had started. Hopefully I get some more answers tomorrow from the uni. The funding for doing the ske would’ve came in handy but it’s not the end of the world if something else was put in place which would mean I could still do my PGCE. Currently on unpaid maternity leave and the thought of having to return to my current job fills me with dread!
It mega sucks... I'm sitting here not sure if I'm getting paid for the 550 hours I've already done... They've sorta dropped the ball on this with no warning. It's ridiculous. I wish you luck and hope you can still keep your place!
CmarieB
Rep:
?
Bless you! Hopefully it gets sorted I’d be furious I was angry enough off doing one week of work before it got cancelled never mind 550 hours!
username1728425
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CmarieB)
Bless you! Hopefully it gets sorted I’d be furious I was angry enough off doing one week of work before it got cancelled never mind 550 hours!
Hopefully, otherwise, I'm gonna ask my provider and SKE provider if I can be signed off at 500 hours. I only need to know GSCE for my placement and that is long finished. And I've given up my summer to finish this and the only reason I've continued is knowing the bursary is coming - otherwise, I would have already asked this. Fingers crossed it's sorted out soon.
Konstantina91
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Yes, Dfe postponed my SKE course in French starting October 2020 for January with no information about if there will be any funding at all. Moreover there is no information about the PGCE bursaries available for specific subjects (e.g MFL, English, classics etc).It's soo disappointing as I had to reject all my other options in order to complete the SKE course and get the bursary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (50)
21.83%
No (179)
78.17%

Watched Threads