Turn on thread page Beta

Carbs before bed. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wondered about this really, is it that bad to have some oats before bed?
    I need to eat more, but being at work for 7 hours and only having one 30min break is a pain in the ass, so I basically need more calories each day.

Please tell me why I shouldn't/or doesn't matter.

Cheeers

(Oh and I know carbs suppress GH realease, but is this a big deal when I'm getting 9-10 hours sleep?)

ReputationRep:
    I'm very skeptical about pre-sleep nutritional science - if you need the calories, definitely go ahead and eat what you need to.

ReputationRep:
    Q

when do you train?

ReputationRep:
    Complex carbohydrates generally won't kick in until the following morning anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    Q

when do you train?
    Monday, Tuesday, and Friday, plus I cycle 8 miles to/from work 3 times a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keith Lemon)
    Monday, Tuesday, and Friday, plus I cycle 8 miles to/from work 3 times a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday).
    I meant in relation to the day

also I presume your goals are to gain muscle?

ReputationRep:
    If you feel you need the energy have some carbs in the evening but I wouldn't bother overnight. I have a protein shake before bed to keep my metabolism kicking over although some fitness mag said carbs were the best to induce sleep however I can't sleep if I'm bloated....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I read on another site, that some people have trouble with sleep after eating carbs before bed.
    I think I might just have 50g oats and some whey + olive oil or something.

ReputationRep:
    nobody is that busy that they can neglect proper nutrition.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying I do neglect my nutrition, it's just the days I'm working, I get have 100g oats and whey in the morning 9ish, fish and brown rice about 11am, cycle to work, 2x tuna sandwhiches at 4:30pm, get home have dinner (7:30ish), But I get hungry again around now..., hence the question.

ReputationRep:
    It's not ideal, but it is better than undereating.

ReputationRep:
    I think oats are pretty good before bed, it's not like you're eating bad carbs before bed.

I say go for it

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt really matter IMO. I like carbs before bed, they help me sleep.

ReputationRep:
    go for it.

The whole "carbs will make you fat esp at night-time"

is a bit overplayed

think bigger picture

and if you train in evening, it'll have less of an impact.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, I'm far from being fat, so it can't do much bad.

ReputationRep:
    Apparantly, the insulin release you will get overnight from the carbs reduces the amount of growth hormone released/lowers its effects or something like this. Which would be a bad thing if you were lifting heavy weights and training for hypertrophy and needing recovery in your sleep with growth.

edit just noticed you already knew this OP ah well written it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    nobody is that busy that they can neglect proper nutrition.
    x2.

(Original post by burningnun)
    It's not ideal, but it is better than undereating.

(Original post by Adonis)
    go for it.

The whole "carbs will make you fat esp at night-time"

is a bit overplayed

think bigger picture

and if you train in evening, it'll have less of an impact.
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Apparantly, the insulin release you will get overnight from the carbs reduces the amount of growth hormone released/lowers its effects or something like this.
    #

I read a pretty good article about pre-bed nutrition with regards to carbs being no different to any other time of day. Most peoples concerns are that they are stored directly as fat. Well think of it across the whole day, if your body burns excess cals during the day, even if it is stored as fat, it is replacing fat that has been burnt. If you have a good deficit, it will be a smaller replacement (i.e. the net fat loss is the same in both cases).

Insulin release Im a bit shoddy on, but I dont see how this release will be any different to the release at any other time of the day. Especially as your body does not enter deep sleep immediatly after you fall asleep. And how negible is the effect going to be?

warning:the previous post may contain bro-science

ReputationRep:
    Probably wouldn't recommend this

In fact I'm avoiding carbs before bed right now!

That said, find a nice glass of flavoured skim milk (it's winter where I am, so digging hot Nestle low-fat caramel) satisfies my cravings. Or as per Lady Venom advice, a protein shake is quite filling.

ReputationRep:
    it aint a bad thing entirely. it might disrupt your sleep a bit if it's complex, but i don't think oats are. only problem is it'll turn into fat as it has no where to go in those 8 hours, so your body stores it.

But that aint anything for you. an 8 hour cycle will burn that all off, so it's probably better for you, gives you energy to go the next day.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Mon Zeus !!

right; people need to stop looking at things in isolation

BIGGER picture people

ok, carbs aren't best utilised at night vs daytime

but they also better utilisited after a w/o and it seems he trains in evening anyway

also do you actually have quantifiable studies on how much fat you MAY gain?

the body works 24/7 and has already stated he isn't gaining optimally so he needs the carbs somewhere

heck I could be the poster child for being too pussy to eat carbs, and suffered not growing enough as a result

so I chucked in loads of rice, late at night cos I can eat it more then

did I get fat - no, did I gain muscle - yes

when you are training intensely, you are in a more anabolic phase more of the time

so people, stop it with the carbs will make you fat thing, it's almost as bad as the whole low-fat mantra

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.